Freehub risk it or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
A little back ground to the bike. Its cleaned and lubed after every ride, very rare ridden in the wet I have a old bike for wet rides. My bikes are kept indoors.
Went for a ride Tuesday, bike returned cleaned and chain re oiled and everything was working fine. Yesterday pulled the bike downstairs and the cassette was spinning both ways no drive. Put it away and went out on old the old bike.
On my return I removed the rear wheel and cassette and low and behold the freehub had now repaired its self. I've tried to make it spin both ways but its now working fine.
Do I risk it or replace the freehub ?

tyred

Legendary Member
Sounds like it's gunged up with grease.

I don't have much experience of freehubs but if it were a freewheel block I'd either strip it and build it with fresh grease or else work WD40 into it if I were feeling lazy.

I'd imagine similar treatments would work on a freehub.

rb58

Enigma
Service it. I've done both Mavic and Fulcum ones and it was pretty easy. On one Fulcrum one I had a broken spring so only two pawls were connecting. Ordered a spare, gave it all a good clean and everything was fine again.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Just got my answer pulled the bike out and its done it again...I'll strip it down and see what I can do. After watching some YouTube tutorials..

Sharky

Guru
Happened to me a few times. Once on a commute home, with about 10 miles to go. Used a leather toe strap to wind it round the hub and through the largest sprocket. Became a "fixed" gear, but just gave me enough traction to get myself home.

I'm sure a dismantle and re lubricate will fix. Another tip - do the work over a large tray or something. The springs and pawls are so small that if they fall on the garage floor, takes a long time to find them again! I've kept the polystyrene packing that came with the last washing m/c we bought. Makes a great "catcher" when things drop.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sit down with a cup of tea and radio 4, and spend a pleasant evening stripping it down and reassembling it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The Shimano ones I've had are serviced by throwing the old one out and buying a new one.
That's what I've done with mine. I've had two Shimano ones go in the past, after many miles it should be said.

To the OP, I'd do something with it: either strip it and repair it yourself or get a new one. When it finally goes for good, it's often a long walk home.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Now stripped, the spring as broke. On re assembly with the new spring do you grease the pawls and spring lightly or liberally ?

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
[QUOTE 4106364, member: 45"]Plain oil is best. Detergents and wax can clog up little moving parts. I'd lob some 3 in 1 in there.[/QUOTE]
Cheers..

Top Bottom