Freewheel cassette worn but doesn't look it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Just swapped my chain for a new one as I hit the 1.0 mark on my chain wear thingy. This freewheel cassette has only seen 1 chain (I replaced them as a pair last time) and visually I certainly thought I would get a few more chains out of this one. But to my utmost surprise i'm skipping badly when in the bottom gear! Nothing I can do about it, new freewheel time, but just so surprised. Doesn't even look that worn. Anyone else come across this? Only lasted 1 chain and I replaced the chain soon as it hit 1.0.
IMG_20170724_100130.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you use the bottom gear lots. The sprockets that wear are usually in the middle as they are most commonly used.

Your rear mechs limit screws may not be quite right.

PS that is a freewheel and not a cassette. Its about £15 for a replacement and about £10 For a freewheel remover.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
By bottom gear I mean the little one (at the bottom of the picture) and yes, I'm in it all the time. well... 95% of the time. New chain is fine in all the other gears. Yeah it's not expensive to replace, I have the remover tool. Just surprised really that was all. Doesn't look worn to me,. And as I said, has only seen 1 chain since new.

Your top gear is badly worn. You are obviously a big gear masher and not a spinner. Unfortunately for such people, the sprocket that wears the easiest, is used the most. The smaller the sprocket, the quicker it wears.
Your angle and focus is not great, but I think most of your sprockets are pretty worn.
You can wear out a cassette/freewheel in just one chain if you allow the chain to wear beyond the 0.5% mark.
My guess is that given enough hard pedalling, that freewheel of yours will skip in at least the top three gears i.e. three smallest sprockets.

The untrained eye can't spot wear on cassettes because a worn cassette tooth doesn't look remotely like a worn chainring tooth.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Your top gear is badly worn. You are obviously a big gear masher and not a spinner. Unfortunately for such people, the sprocket that wears the easiest, is used the most. The smaller the sprocket, the quicker it wears.
Your angle and focus is not great, but I think most of your sprockets are pretty worn.
You can wear out a cassette/freewheel in just one chain if you allow the chain to wear beyond the 0.5% mark.
My guess is that given enough hard pedalling, that freewheel of yours will skip in at least the top three gears i.e. three smallest sprockets.

The untrained eye can't spot wear on cassettes because a worn cassette tooth doesn't look remotely like a worn chainring tooth.

Thanks, that's very insightful! Yes I mash, hate spinning. Just the way I've always been for 30 years. No point trying to change that now. I prefer it.

I always thought a worn out sprocket looked like shark fins. (my last one did) but as you say, I guess it's actually gone long before that point. Ahh well. It's only a few bob for a new one and gives me an excuse to re-grease the wheel bearings too.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Mashing isn't efficient
I cycle to commute and stay fit. Being efficient is of no concern to me to be honest. My bike is heavy and I have 35c tyres and full mudguards on it. None of which is efficient. The less efficient I am the more calories I burn per mile.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks, that's very insightful! Yes I mash, hate spinning. Just the way I've always been for 30 years. No point trying to change that now. I prefer it.

I always thought a worn out sprocket looked like shark fins. (my last one did) but as you say, I guess it's actually gone long before that point. Ahh well. It's only a few bob for a new one and gives me an excuse to re-grease the wheel bearings too.
Not necessarily. I've used the cheapest Shimano freewheels then cassettes on my knockabout bike and they've been the same - worn out after 1 or 2 chains at best but the wear usually isn't obvious to look at.

Only the freewheel that came with the bike (some no-name Chinese thing that only lasted 800 miles) has worn the teeth into points in my experience.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I cycle to commute and stay fit. Being efficient is of no concern to me to be honest. My bike is heavy and I have 35c tyres and full mudguards on it. None of which is efficient. The less efficient I am the more calories I burn per mile.

You'll go faster and burn energy better. Mashing isn't the best in anyway and you won't wear out parts so quick.

A worn out chainring (driving sprocket) at first looks like a shark fin and then later on like a shark's tooth. Rear sprockets (driven sprockets) never wear to sharp points.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Curious. What gear are you typical in on a flat section of road. Not racing, just "normal" riding.
I'm nearly always in middle on the crankset and little gear on the back.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Pretty sure its all a single "clump" - Bear in mind it's a cheapo. Base model freewheel. Don't think it comes apart.

Top Bottom