FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Yes please Simon. Email sent.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The man from Southern he say:-

During the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Southern will not be able to accommodate ordinary cycles on some trains. This applies to all trains travelling towards London, Kensington (Olympia) or Brighton, and trains leaving London, Kensington (Olympia) or Brighton between 27 July and 9 September 2012. On all other services, our usual Peak time Cycle Policy remains in place. Folded cycles are welcome on all trains at any time.

My old school mate, who runs Horsham Station, says they will have extra station staff on duty across the network specially trained in anti-cyclist jobsworthery. You have been warned.

I have two choices

a) bendy bike + train up, ride down, train home
b) bendy bike + train up, ride down, ride home
c) bendy bike + ride up, ride down, train home
d) bendy bike + ride up, ride down, ride home
e) proper bike, ride up, ride down, ride home
f) give up and watch the telly instead.

OK that's more than two. Don't really fancy f). e) feels do-able in a state of post-LONJOG euphoria but the last time I did it I hated the ride into town, probably poor route selection.

What is a decent route from Horsham to central London on a Friday night?

swansonj

Guru
I have two choices

a) bendy bike + train up, ride down, train home
b) bendy bike + train up, ride down, ride home
c) bendy bike + ride up, ride down, train home
d) bendy bike + ride up, ride down, ride home
e) proper bike, ride up, ride down, ride home
f) give up and watch the telly instead.

OK that's more than two. Don't really fancy f). e) feels do-able in a state of post-LONJOG euphoria but the last time I did it I hated the ride into town, probably poor route selection.

Or could you take proper bike to the nearest SWT route, which I guess is Godalming, Guildford or Leatherhead, thereby missing out the less pleasant slog through the suburbs?

My local station is a Southern run station but served by both Southern and SWT. I wonder if the Southern jobsworthy will try to stop us even taking our bikes onto their platforms?

rusky

CC Addict
Southern's website says
Mainline services between London Bridge/London Victoria and Gatwick (including via Redhill)

Presumably, I can get to Gatwick but no further :wacko:

Trickedem

Guru
Please add me to the list. I will ride home.

Yes please, I'm in. Planning to cycle both ways.
This looks like a big ride back and, could possibly need a supplementary acronym:
"FNRttCabal" ...'and back at last'.

Daylight will not know what has hit it. The alternative is to camp in Rich P's garden until end Sept. and hold the South Coast version of a festival... Glastonbury-on-Sea, where riders can turn on, tune in and drop out - with 'mine host' serving food and drink when needed.
Imagine that, Rich...I just did! :rolleyes:

My old school mate, who runs Horsham Station, says they will have extra station staff on duty across the network specially trained in anti-cyclist jobsworthery. You have been warned.

Does this include people who are already on the train? (i.e . searching the carriages for errant bicycles!)

Absolutely no idea but it would be too far for me! Which leads me to think of Option g): join the ride at Horley or somewhere?

(edit for factual error)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've got to put the question to the scouts - do they want to get up in the middle of the night for thirty or forty people, or would they preferred it if we went to Gatwick.....

Top Bottom