FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sketchley

Über Member
Looks like I'm up for this.

Re Riding back I've been thinking for sometime about riding the Downs Link I'm not sure how Road Bike friendly it is, or indeed how touring bike with fat tyre friendly it is either. Anyone here done it? Would you recommend it as good route back? It's fairly flat, and goes to Guildford where I can jump on train home.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Looks like I'm up for this.

Re Riding back I've been thinking for sometime about riding the Downs Link I'm not sure how Road Bike friendly it is, or indeed how touring bike with fat tyre friendly it is either. Anyone here done it? Would you recommend it as good route back? It's fairly flat, and goes to Guildford where I can jump on train home.
done it post Brighton Fridays several times as far north as the 'sham on 28's with, so far, one pinch flat. Nice pub at The Partridge. Partridge Green for refreshment. They sell Dark Star Brewery jerseys behind the bar. My touring bike has done the whole length several times without issue apart from rattling the mudguards. A lot.

But it you pootle over to Shoreham and take the road up to Steyning and then go up to Horsham via Ashurst it's a lovely ride. Then go to Guildford via Cranleigh and you miss the horror that is the A281. Much faster than the downs link.

Were it me I'd go probably go Brighton, Waterhall, A23 cycle path jobbie, Aldbourne, B2116, Partridge Green, Littleworth, Nuthurst, the 'sham, Rowhook, Ellen's Green, Cranleigh, Rowly, Shamley Green, Wonersh, Glidfud. and keep my fillings intact. Post lonjog there isn't a climb on that route will faze you.

Tim Hall

I've got to put the question to the scouts - do they want to get up in the middle of the night for thirty or forty people, or would they preferred it if we went to Gatwick.....
Do you want me to ask Chris? Or do you have it all covered?

(I might have a plan B tucked away in a pocket somewhere).

iLB

Hello there
Southern will not be able to accommodate ordinary cycles on some trains.

Ordinary, as in
HTC_jersey_CavBike11.jpg
?
Sounds like a loop hole to me.

Sketchley

Über Member
done it post Brighton Fridays several times as far north as the 'sham on 28's with, so far, one pinch flat. Nice pub at The Partridge. Partridge Green for refreshment. They sell Dark Star Brewery jerseys behind the bar. My touring bike has done the whole length several times without issue apart from rattling the mudguards. A lot.

But it you pootle over to Shoreham and take the road up to Steyning and then go up to Horsham via Ashurst it's a lovely ride. Then go to Guildford via Cranleigh and you miss the horror that is the A281. Much faster than the downs link.

Were it me I'd go probably go Brighton, Waterhall, A23 cycle path jobbie, Aldbourne, B2116, Partridge Green, Littleworth, Nuthurst, the 'sham, Rowhook, Ellen's Green, Cranleigh, Rowly, Shamley Green, Wonersh, Glidfud. and keep my fillings intact. Post lonjog there isn't a climb on that route will faze you.

Which route is safer after a couple of brown (or yellow for that matter) beers on the sea front.....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Which route is safer after a couple of brown (or yellow for that matter) beers on the sea front.....
the last one. imo. traffic free from waterhall to several miles north of brighton then quiet lanes/roads thereafter.

the downlink gets awful busy with folk and their children and their pets if the weather is nice....

Top Bottom