FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton August 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
fnrttc10.gif

I've broken some.
As so often, well said Sam!

iLB

Hello there
Having coveted Rimas' svelte legs most of the way home yesterday, and the waxing strips at the ready, I have started to wax more of the right leg. Suffering. Bring on the Splugen Pass after this.

CharlieAlison

Eat cake, ride fastish
I was one of the lost souls who missed the turning. We were hammering along a quite a pace trying to catch a glimps of the lights in front that didnt exist. By the time User30090 convinced us to stop we were almost at gatwick.
Glad one of the ladies had dz's phone number, or we could have been very lost.

Didnt see much drunken madness, just a single man in reigate, passed out in a bus stop.

Tigerbitten's clothing was something to behold. Who ever it was that pointed out that hot pants and a vest top isnt a great look in brighton on a friday night made me chuckle.

I am just about to go to bed, not slept yet, so have been up over 36 hours, the ride was great, the solo ride back home from victoria was very wet and my vim had well and truly left me by then. Well done to Anyone who attempted a ride back home.

I think Tigerbitten is my new riding style icon - he totally rules!

CharlieAlison

Eat cake, ride fastish
Though so many of the regulars were absent, the hardcore element elite made up for it in the combined drying out and rehydration party in Wetherspoons afterwards. It was only then that my befuddled mind realised that the chap I had cycled with as a companion TEC was none other than Hatler of coffee dispensing fame at the bottom of Ditchling Beacon! A wonderful thing, delayed cognition... Charlie M did sterling work at keeping me awake on the train so that I made my connection at East Croydon and the fastest ever ride from Victoria to Marylebone meant I actually managed to catch my train!

All in all, it makes for one of the more satisfying Friday Night Rides. Thanks to everyone who was there: it's your contribution that makes the ride what it is.

Glad to to hear you got home ok and sorry if I yacked too much on the train (!) - ride was fantastic even with soggy socks and smaller hardcore element elite than previous Brighton FNRttCs..

BromyG

Veteran
Many thanks to hatler and the TECs who assisted with my Brompton rear wheel puncture in the pouring rain during the early hours of Saturday morning. What you lacked in Brompton technical knowledge was made up with much moral support! It was my first ever repair on the road - in the rain - and in the dark!

Simon - great ride again despite the weather and numerous 'delays' - there's never a dull moment on the FNRttC rides! Looking forward to Southend now :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
Many thanks to hatler and the TECs who assisted with my Brompton rear wheel puncture in the pouring rain during the early hours of Saturday morning. What you lacked in Brompton technical knowledge was made up with much moral support! It was my first ever repair on the road - in the rain - and in the dark!
I'm awaiting my first Brompton flat in the 7 years since new. So its a cert for Southend then!
In preparation I studied this video:

How realistic is that in the field or would you/TECS now go for a Dutch style repair?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How about a new tyre? Before last year's Southend ride I took 4 pieces of glass and half a dozen bits of grit out of my Marathon (ordinary). About three weeks later I replaced it. I can't help thinking the other way round would have been better.

It is our intention that this ride will be our first FNRfhttC - taking advantage of the short route to Sarfend and the largely downhill route along the A404 (Batchworth Hill excepted) to tack on an extra chunk. We do not intend to ride home!

hatler

Guru
And would anyone like to hazard a guess at the proportion of rear wheel to front wheel flats on the run ?

Some years ago I mentioned to Simon that I could furnish a Scout hut in the Horley area as a substitute for Gatwick which was getting harder for large numbers of cyclists. We rendezvoused at Horley Waitrose one Saturday morning, User10571 being astounded that I didn't lock my bike, and went to Scout Hut No. 1 (one that I'd had a hand in building many years ago). This was OK and fairly big. We then proceeded to Scout Hut No. 2. After waiting a while for the <cough> personable </cough> key holder we got in. His Leggship was amazed at the size of the hut and the facilities available and it got christened The Edifice. That first time we used it we self catered, with gallons of home made soup produced by the stalwartest of stalwarts. We bought spoons and bowls which are still in existence somewhere.

Which scout hut did you have a hand in building? I was a member of 2nd Horley scouts, who I see have now merged with 1st Horley.

Tim Hall

Which scout hut did you have a hand in building? I was a member of 2nd Horley scouts, who I see have now merged with 1st Horley.

Hah! 2nd Horley. I was a cub there from 1969 to 71, then Scout until 77. The current hut was built from an old army hut from Hobbs' Barracks around 76/77 by the supporters' committee and the Scouts helped (or got in the way, depending on your point of view). I built a simple crane from pioneering poles to help lift the wall sections into place. IIRC you're a bit younger than me. Who was leader when you were there? Roger Harris? Andy Langridge?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Interesting thought. I'll look at a map. And I've realised I've posted in completely the wrong thread.

BromyG

Veteran
I'm awaiting my first Brompton flat in the 7 years since new. So its a cert for Southend then!
In preparation I studied this video:

How realistic is that in the field or would you/TECS now go for a Dutch style repair?

Hi StuartG - that can be done 'in the field' - you just have to make sure you're careful with all the bits you remove! (and don't drop the vital nut in the grass when trying to put it back on!)

Top Bottom