FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton August 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Paul, sorry it wasn't me you undertook last night as I wasn't on the ride, it's just that undertaking is a bugbear of mine. I totally agree with your view on half wheeling (or whatever the technical term is)

Occasionally if it's someone I know well and want to talk to I'll leave space on my left for them to come into. The worst I've seen so far though was me and @ianrauk riding along at about 20mph chatting when some "cyclist" actually rode through the gap between us.

Martin speaks sense here [1]. I expect to be overtaken, being undertaken can be a surprise. And it's also the space I'm likely to use to avoid road debris or potholes. If you want more space to overtake me, a call of "Coming through!" will do the trick.

But this was a very good FNR, despite the dampness. My first reaction at being picked as a TEC was disappointment at not being able to do the usual high speed run down Lonesome Lane. But actually, the change of pace made for a very different and very relaxed ride. Yes, we had punctures - I believe we had something like 20 of them. As @thom so helpfully pointed out, was mostly limited to holding a torch and handing out my pump (Topeak Road Morph, superb piece of kit. But, alas, as we couldn't get it to fit Schrader valves. Anyone who knows how please do tell). Thank you for all the standing about at junctions, Thom...

Possibly the lowest moment - or rather half hour - was at the bottom of Turners Hill fixing two simultaneous visitations. Upon setting off we then discovered that Rimas had a flat! By this time, Hatler had already set off - I made a brief attempt to recall him, but after making it half way up Turners with neither hide nor hair I decided returning to my torch bearing duties was more important than going up Turners Hill twice!

Though so many of the regulars were absent, the hardcore element elite made up for it in the combined drying out and rehydration party in Wetherspoons afterwards. It was only then that my befuddled mind realised that the chap I had cycled with as a companion TEC was none other than Hatler of coffee dispensing fame at the bottom of Ditchling Beacon! A wonderful thing, delayed cognition... Charlie M did sterling work at keeping me awake on the train so that I made my connection at East Croydon and the fastest ever ride from Victoria to Marylebone meant I actually managed to catch my train!

All in all, it makes for one of the more satisfying Friday Night Rides. Thanks to everyone who was there: it's your contribution that makes the ride what it is.

[1] There. I've said it. Perfect sig material. But note that terms and conditions apply. :smile:

Tim Hall

(Topeak Road Morph, superb piece of kit. But, alas, as we couldn't get it to fit Schrader valves. Anyone who knows how please do tell).

On the two I'm familiar with (mine and The Boy's), unscrew the knurled ring on the head. Tease out the rubber ring - jibbling the valve lock lever can help get it out. Put it somewhere safe. Tap out the plastic insert into cupped palm of hand. Invert it, so that the pin points outwards. Replace rubber ring, again inverted, so that the big hole is facing the world. Replace knurled ring. Job done.

Great ride, I enjoyed it a lot.

I was one of the people visited by the fairy twice.
The first time was a front wheel a few hundred yards from the scout hut. That's a quick/easy fix as I don't need to remove the wheel to do it.
The second time was the back tyre just before Lindfield. That takes a little longer due to having the Rolhoff on the back. I need to line up both the disk brake and the reaction arm as the wheel goes back in.

What's the matter with my attire, or lack of ...... :tongue:
My wet weather top is a fully waterproof canoeing vest. It work great on the recumbent as there is no front zip to let the rain in and being skin tight I don't end up with a nasty dip down my sides.

hatler

Guru
On the two I'm familiar with (mine and The Boy's), unscrew the knurled ring on the head. Tease out the rubber ring - jibbling the valve lock lever can help get it out. Put it somewhere safe. Tap out the plastic insert into cupped palm of hand. Invert it, so that the pin points outwards. Replace rubber ring, again inverted, so that the big hole is facing the world. Replace knurled ring. Job done.
That was my understanding too. Got the knurled ring off, teased out the rubber grommet by judicious use of the lever, but could I get the reversible plastic widget to shift ? Could I b******s. Given that it was raining and a bit on the dim side I didn't want to resort to too much force on the grounds that it would doubtless end up in the long grass somewhere (even short grass would have been enough for us to lose it). I even tried my teeth but that didn't work either. Someone else had a pump with a universal head so that was deployed instead.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Paul, sorry but don't undertake. On a quiet lane the chances are I'd be in a strong secondary giving you enough room to do it but I'd really rather you didn't. There's always plenty of room to my right. :smile:

And DZ's cassette is scary. Iirc it's a 23-11. ;)

One of his under passes was my fault i was cold wet tired and got to close after swerving to avoid a pot hole if Mr H hadn't of accelerated and undertook chances are i would have taken the three of us out. His maneuver was commented on by the innocent third party i did attempt to apologize weather i was heard or not it was ignored. (his other offences were nothing to do with me bloody hooligan :whistle:) .

Another fantastic fnrttc experience for me the first with @Kies and my fourth and apart from the manky weather and my epic fail at Ditchling again :evil:nothing ever takes away though the effort Simon puts in even apologizing for the weather lol. The tec's certainly sound like they had an uber busy night and with Simons phone ringing more times than a Dominos at dinner time (how will we ever survive without DOMINOS. Those Horley folk who roam the streets on a Friday night are a strange bunch ). The wayfinders as always did a fantastic job waiting around in the foulest of weather :rain:. The spread laid on at the Edifice was second to none and the kind lady didnt even complain when i handed over a worse for wear soggy £10 note. Back out in to the rain after the half way point i was waiting in anticipation for the sun to come up but it never really seemed to happen it just got a bit lighter and you could see the rain not just feel it. After a looooooong walk up Ditchling for me :blush: (my head and heart and most importantly legs just wernt up for that beast at that point). The view at the top was proper pea soup so not impressed with that at all if i walk that amount with a bike next time i want a decent view lol. I was greeted by Kies who did alot better than i did at attacking it and a beaming Mr H who conquered the beast :bravo:we set about a peloton esk trip across the moor dont know then correct name of it but i love that part of the ride. We screamed down the hill in to Brighton and headed straight for the station and headed back to Victoria. Didnt realise @User30090 was on the ride but looking at your avatar i think you were a wayfinder quite often Mr Fixie in your #hatecyclist jersey. Would have been good to have chatted maybe next time.

Annoyed not to have the balls to attempt the smrbth so now actually contemplating the Sarrrrfend ride to make my first 100 a reality not just a myth.

It was also good to catch up with @arallsopp who i havent seen since his accident hope you get some joy with the insurance shysters soon mate good to see you on another abnormal machine hope to see you back in the egg submarine velomobile soon.

Many thanks all :thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I once whipped out my Road morph to inflate a Schräder valve just before a group ride. I didn't realise it but the rubber ring had shot out somewhere in the process. This subsequently led to the pump being rendered useless for Presta valves. (Discovered this on a ride with Topcat1 and TMN.) It took me ages to get a spare - Topeak customer services appears to be nothing more than a Facebook page and someone from Topeak on there advised me to contact their supplier in one of the Gulf States.) I then discovered that not all Topeak Road morphs have the same pump head and replacements are only available for one kind - ie the other kind. I finally ended up having to bodge it and it now will not work with a Schräder valve.

mark st1

Plastic Manc

Must have been my tired eyes then as i was up there after that picture was taken and it certainly didnt seem as clear as that. I was beyond tired at that point so my bad for missing the ones shown.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
My brain was steamed up the bloomin hill is harder to walk up than cycle ! I was passed by an ambulance at one point with sirens blaring i was hoping someone had taken pity on me but it just zoomed past. Good night out though memo to self must buy waterproofs.

hatler

Guru
The Night of the Punctures.

Luckily I think every puncturer had way more than half a clue as to what to do, not only to fix a puncture but also (thankfully) how to remove and replace the rear wheel from their bike. I'm not sure the combined TECs would have been able to fettle the 6 speed Brompton rear wheel in anything like the time it took the owner.

High/low points.
Low. The 30 seconds where the all important Brompton rear wheel nut (it's big, silver and shiny) disappeared into the long grass.
Getting to the top of a rise with iLB after helping with two punctures to discover that the other TECs weren't with us. After a two minute ponder (perfect timing as it turned out) we turned round and rolled back down to find Rimas just mounting his just-fettled steed.
No-one to deliver coffee in Ditchling.
Having to leave Wetherspoons.

High.
The run through and out of London in the dry with the temperature at about 15C. I've never been on such a mild FNRttC.
Riding in the wet without being cold.
Being able to help out with so many punctures. On a couple of occasions was able to get a result that was defeating other brains. Of course, I'd far rather we had had nothing to do, but having a sense of purpose does wonders for team morale.
Giggling with iLB about deriving an enormous sense of pleasure and achievement about something, which, looked at objectively by over 99% of the population would clearly be interpreted as bonkers. (Riding to Brighton. In the dark. In the wet. Helping fix approx 20 punctures. And enjoying ourselves.)
Introducing a fellow school parent to the joys of the FNRttC (who stuck with us at the back for a lot of the ride, well done Jon O'L).
Chatting with loads of people (more than usual I reckon).
Sustenance at The Edifice. Simply splendid as usual. Never is a simple cuppa more welcome.
The bacon and egg bap at The Madeira. I could have eaten about four of them.
Joining Team Beer for the first time (even if the numbers were apparently down). As I left it felt like the conversation was only just starting.
And above all else, two things stick out; the joy of riding roads without cars in company with like minded bods, and the unduplicatable spirit of the FNRttC which permeates the whole event.

I'm sure there's more. If I can bring anything more to mind worth reporting I will add it later.

And so, to bed. It's been a hard week. I was up at 5 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and had to head to Cornwall on Wednesday evening and return on Thursday evening. That was two post-midnight finishes and 600 miles in the car. Add on two and a half hours getting beaten up by some surf in North Cornwall, and then no sleep last night. I reckon I'm going to kip well tonight.

Thanks above all others to Simon, and to all fellow TECs and everyone else for l'esprit de FNRttC. Just another thing that makes life more than worth living.

U

User10571

The Night of the Punctures.

Luckily I think every puncturer had way more than half a clue as to what to do, not only to fix a puncture but also (thankfully) how to remove and replace the rear wheel from their bike. I'm not sure the combined TECs would have been able to fettle the 6 speed Brompton rear wheel in anything like the time it took the owner.

High/low points.
Low. The 30 seconds where the all important Brompton rear wheel nut (it's big, silver and shiny) disappeared into the long grass.
Getting to the top of a rise with iLB after helping with two punctures to discover that the other TECs weren't with us. After a two minute ponder (perfect timing as it turned out) we turned round and rolled back down to find Rimas just mounting his just-fettled steed.
No-one to deliver coffee in Ditchling.
Having to leave Wetherspoons.

High.
The run through and out of London in the dry with the temperature at about 15C. I've never been on such a mild FNRttC.
Riding in the wet without being cold.
Being able to help out with so many punctures. On a couple of occasions was able to get a result that was defeating other brains. Of course, I'd far rather we had had nothing to do, but having a sense of purpose does wonders for team morale.
Giggling with iLB about deriving an enormous sense of pleasure and achievement about something, which, looked at objectively by over 99% of the population would clearly be interpreted as bonkers. (Riding to Brighton. In the dark. In the wet. Helping fix approx 20 punctures. And enjoying ourselves.)
Introducing a fellow school parent to the joys of the FNRttC (who stuck with us at the back for a lot of the ride, well done Jon O'L).
Chatting with loads of people (more than usual I reckon).
Sustenance at The Edifice. Simply splendid as usual. Never is a simple cuppa more welcome.
The bacon and egg bap at The Madeira. I could have eaten about four of them.
Joining Team Beer for the first time (even if the numbers were apparently down). As I left it felt like the conversation was only just starting.
And above all else, two things stick out; the joy of riding roads without cars in company with like minded bods, and the unduplicatable spirit of the FNRttC which permeates the whole event.

I'm sure there's more. If I can bring anything more to mind worth reporting I will add it later.

And so, to bed. It's been a hard week. I was up at 5 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and had to head to Cornwall on Wednesday evening and return on Thursday evening. That was two post-midnight finishes and 600 miles in the car. Add on two and a half hours getting beaten up by some surf in North Cornwall, and then no sleep last night. I reckon I'm going to kip well tonight.

Thanks above all others to Simon, and to all fellow TECs and everyone else for l'esprit de FNRttC. Just another thing that makes life more than worth living.
Choice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Must have been my tired eyes then as i was up there after that picture was taken and it certainly didnt seem as clear as that. I was beyond tired at that point so my bad for missing the ones shown.

Yeah, due to the bizarre and inexplicable surge of power to my legs I was one of the first up there to take that pic. Must have been delayed-action lemon drizzle cake from the scout hut. Fortunately I wasn't subject to a random cake test.

By the way, at the risk of turning myself into a character from an HM Bateman cartoon, I have to ask: Why is the scout hut known as the Edifice?

Oh, and I used to have a little brass gizmo for attaching a schrader pump to presta tyres. Like this. Long since lost. Surely that would be easier than taking your pump to bits by the roadside and dropping little washers and grommets everywhere.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
61 miles, not too tough on the toughometer.

toughometer.jpg

Rain ain't your problem.
Don't forget to line your hat/cap/helmet with tin foil:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/23/billiontonne_belch_emitted_from_sun_to_hit_earth_tomorrow/

According to the linked story there doesn't appear to be much danger to our brains this weekend. However, as Ra's "plasma belch" may be an issue "for people operating satellites in low orbit" I'm going to instruct my personal satellite to attempt evasive action.

sputnik.jpg

As the night progressed I seemed to upset a couple of people, the general theme seemed to be I had undertaken them and this was voiced, IMHO I had not come past at excessive spring speeds and was just keeping an average pace and it was their road positioning which permitted me to creep past, if they were cycling on the left I never would have been able to do this,.. Who's right and who's wrong I don't think we will ever agree on, but I expect what is right is some where in between both views.

The British hate undertaking. Americans, we're not too bothered, as long as you don't also pull out a gun.

. . .

This was my first FNRttC of the year. I enjoyed my usual taking-the-train-up-to-cycle-in-London! Yay! adrenaline rush, followed by a stop at the Swiss embassy. Next a very calming glide through Hyde Park to meditate by the Serpentine. I think the night owls the next bench over were medicating.

The first couple hours were bliss. I enjoyed going up the hill in Coulsdon so much I promptly turned around and did it again. Had a bit of catching up to do after that, but I savour those alone times. I may be the only person that goes on these rides to get away from people. The FNRttC gets all kinds.

Although of course I knew the rains would come (having taken a dip in my neighbour's pool the other day, "Just think of it like swimming"

swimmingpool.jpg

I told myself), I had underestimated its effect on my mood. Haven't done much wet work these past several years; the sense of innocent splashy pleasure was MIA for me last night.

Preferring to suffer in solitude, after some soggy contemplation at the scout hut I quietly slipped away and rode home. Repaired a puncture almost immediately, as penance.

littlemap.jpg

Tim Hall

Yeah, due to the bizarre and inexplicable surge of power to my legs I was one of the first up there to take that pic. Must have been delayed-action lemon drizzle cake from the scout hut. Fortunately I wasn't subject to a random cake test.

By the way, at the risk of turning myself into a character from an HM Bateman cartoon, I have to ask: Why is the scout hut known as the Edifice?

Some years ago I mentioned to Simon that I could furnish a Scout hut in the Horley area as a substitute for Gatwick which was getting harder for large numbers of cyclists. We rendezvoused at Horley Waitrose one Saturday morning, User10571 being astounded that I didn't lock my bike, and went to Scout Hut No. 1 (one that I'd had a hand in building many years ago). This was OK and fairly big. We then proceeded to Scout Hut No. 2. After waiting a while for the <cough> personable </cough> key holder we got in. His Leggship was amazed at the size of the hut and the facilities available and it got christened The Edifice. That first time we used it we self catered, with gallons of home made soup produced by the stalwartest of stalwarts. We bought spoons and bowls which are still in existence somewhere.

Top Bottom