FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 12th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
recce ride yesterday - not a complete success. The hill west of Maesteg is out - the road on the descent is broken up and the bend/traffic lights arrangement at the bottom isn't clever. I'm not confident about fifty people descending together. 6000 cyclists on the Dragon Ride will go down it today, so cross your fingers on that one.

So we've lost a mile or two and a fair bit of climbing. Which will be popular in certain quarters.

boo

recce ride yesterday - not a complete success. The hill west of Maesteg is out - the road on the descent is broken up and the bend/traffic lights arrangement at the bottom isn't clever. I'm not confident about fifty people descending together. 6000 cyclists on the Dragon Ride will go down it today, so cross your fingers on that one.

So we've lost a mile or two and a fair bit of climbing. Which will be popular in certain quarters.

:sad:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bog Road is still on the menu - and that's because it's the kind of road we don't see in the southeast. And because it will give Doctor Evil the opportunity to tell you all about the fish-eating spiders of Crymlyn Bog.

To be fair the Maesteg variation added nothing to the scenic splendour of the ride, where as the Cimla hills is both safe and a delight to get to
[URL=http://s29.photobucket.com/user/simon234/media/valleyinWelshland_zps9743a0cc.png.html] valleyinWelshland_zps9743a0cc.png [/URL]

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

Did the Gran Fondo in 8hrs44 at 16.4mph avg. Got well and truly cooked today, now sporting some razor sharp tan lines (currently sun burn lines). My Garmin recorded 28c on the ascent of the Bwlch. That's one tough route especially the Devils Elbow, what a bitch of a climb that is. I did stop as my eyes were full of sweat which stings like buggery. Top notch organisation with very well stocked rest stops. Mavic guys did a grand job too. The only thing that put a bit of a downer on the day was the sheer amount of idiots out there today. People descending like loons, taking huge risks and causing mayhem. I saw 5 serious accidents, two of which were very nasty. One guy hit the back of a pack of riders waiting at the lights at the bottom of the Byrn descent. I was just at the front of the queue moving off when we heard a loud scream and then the sound of smashing bikes and people in pain. Not nice. Another guy had gone round a corner too fast on the descent of Black mountain and hit a wall at high speed. He was being taken away in an ambulance as I passed, he looked in a very bad way.

Overall a very good, but exhausting day.

so - it looks something like this... http://goo.gl/maps/7c9cu

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Excellent! The approximate GPX version can be found here.

thankyou

it's only fair to point out that the gradients on the elevation graph don't correspond to what's on the road. There's two short 17% bits on the road to Neath

Top Bottom