FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 12th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, sort of. Because the ride starts at the Millennium Basin which is not quite Cardiff proper, and ends at Mwmbwls, which is five miles beyond Swansea. Both are extraordinary - the Millennium Centre
sunny.jpg

and the nearby Sennedd are buildings that show the good that public funding can achieve, and the long circumnavigation of Swansea Bay is as sweet an ending as any cycle ride could wish for.

In between times it's an odd, but hopefully compelling mix. The road out of Cardiff is a bit on the dull side, and there's not much one can say about the A48 to Bonvilston, but then.......then there's a switch to twisting lanes running beside purling brooks and gentle hills all the way to Llantwit Major, and on via the wonderful Dimlands Road to Ogmore-by-Sea where we'll stop for a bite.

The second half of the ride is a different thing altogether. Think Manchester to Blackpool, but with added hills. I'm telling you, peeps, every time I try and reason with our modern-day Rebecca she says things like 'they're coming to Wales! They want to see proper hills, not nancy-boy English jobs! No wonder you lot are crap at rugby!' So hills it will be, on roads barely wider than a bike. Remember last year's descent of Bog Road? Luxury! I've been checking out the route on Google Maps and the words Perygl o Farwolaeth and Rhoi'r Gorau Gobeithio feature a lot. Cast iron spokes and inner tubes fashioned from welded sheepgut are the order of the day!

backroadinWelshland_zps61061d10.png

(picture taken with the aid of the Google Maps Smart Car periscope)
Breakfast (for the survivors) will be at Mwmbwls Pier. After Party at Castellamare. Drinks in Mwmbwls. And then it's all down the pub!

So far we've got

Claudine C
Susie F
Greg C
Mick D
Stuart A

any of you think you're hard enough?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm telling you, peeps, every time I try and reason with our modern-day Rebecca she says things like 'they're coming to Wales! They want to see proper hills, not nancy-boy English jobs! No wonder you lot are crap at rugby!' So hills it will be, on roads barely wider than a bike. Remember last year's descent of Bog Road? Luxury! I've been checking out the route on Google Maps and the words Perygl o Farwolaeth and Rhoi'r Gorau Gobeithio feature a lot. Cast iron spokes and inner tubes fashioned from welded sheepgut are the order of the day!

I'd rather forget it, TBH....
Looks like one for the Trek. Again.

Same half-way cafe as last year?

NSFW advert for going to Wales is No.6 in this list http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/things-youll-find-funny-if-youre-british

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Greg C
Mick D
Stuart A
Adrian C
Susie F
Claudine C
David L
Adam B
Rebecca O
Jenny M

What are your bike options?
Surly Cross Check and Surly Pacer. Pacer much lighter/quicker but CC has triple chainset and fatter tyres.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's about 65 miles, give or take. What are your bike options?
Personally, if it looks like being a dry night and I didn't need to carry lots of clobber, I'd value the light and nimble. Towards the end of the ride there's a hill or two where a triple could come in handy, and the fatter tyres would suit the Bog Road (although its condition has improved a bit since last year). My view of things might be coloured by the fact that we were blessed with a miracle tailwind last year, which blew us up the slopes of the first half like so many fallen leaves. If it were a wet night with a rare southwesterly headwind, I might want to hunker down and spin through it.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
These slight inclines towards the end, they would bother someone with near on perfect thighs running a 66" single speed bike, that has already conquered everything in its path and of recent note, Brighton and back and this supposed monster of a hill called Ditchling Beacon, now, would they?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
These slight inclines towards the end, they would bother someone with near on perfect thighs running a 66" single speed bike, that has already conquered everything in its path and of recent note, Brighton and back and this supposed monster of a hill called Ditchling Beacon, now, would they?
This mate of yours joining us then? :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
A relative term, I'll assume.......
They've filled in some holes. In a piecemeal fashion, rather than a proper resurfacing job, but then I get the impression it isn't high on their priorities. The whole Bog Road is only a couple of miles long, and there are only a couple of especially sketchy sections - nothing that taking it easy in single file can't handle. The spiders are a different matter.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you can get time off work and go early advance fares are still available via southern, of the lovely money back guarantee fame, for £16 one way. I'm an elitist snob with a chronic cake and coffee habit so will be going first class.;)

We know a lovely bike friendly arts centre in canton to while away a few hours on the afternoon/night if folk want to meet up before pizzeria

Top Bottom