FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea 9th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hmmmm - I'm still haunted by that iced road as we left Stock in March. I'm thinking of switching from my road bike's 23mm to the Brommie with its nice fat tyres. Hills are not a problem on this ride and avoiding the de-cleeting issue if you hit a wobble would mean I might be more relaxed.

Watchafink?
I knew that road would be icy, because it stays wet for quite a while after it rain - so we took it at something like 6mph. My guess is that if there is a sharp frost we can pretty much rule Buttsbury out, because water will drop off the wheels as we come out of the ford and dry in streaks - and the road east from Padhams Green is very exposed. We didn't see any ice before Old Stock Road last time, and it was really, really cold. I was worried about Nags Head Lane, but that's pretty sheltered, and there was no ice, even on the bridge deck over the M25 which suggests it was gritted

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1637889, member: 3143"]Gonna be dry but cold, will be glad of the tail wind.[/quote]
too cold for me mate, and I've not been warm all week since my ride on Monday. You'll have to buy your own breakfast.....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1637981, member: 3143"]Old man on Brommie packs because the weather is cold - nothing new.:thumbsup:[/quote]
don't ride the B on FNRttC but otherwise yeah; spot on :surrender:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Still in. Will be on the Portland (28mm) so grip should be fine- Viner (25s) was OK in March anyway. Have thought about joining the SMRbtH, but will see how I feel & how the headwind is...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Nope planning on being ever so slightly drunk by 5pm tomorrow and very, very asleep by midnight. You're on your own into the headwind! :smile: I'll buy you a beer if you make LMNH

Am going to cycle back too now, but not at ians pace and at my own speed.. So ill see ya at lmnhs about 6pm... If your still standing..

I am cycling on my mudguarded, racked, panniered Dawes. Sorry Simon, but I am riding into work in the morning and need to carry stuff with me. I will try and keep up, I promise. :smile:

I have just got in Greg, and it is as mild as a mild thing out there. MTFU is an acronym alert...Buttsbury Schmuttsbury - bring it on...and let the day break on Southend. I'll bring my work bike - or maybe not..or perhaps the other one without mudguards; or the one with...oh, whatever - I'll not get in a Stu over it. :santa:
A bike, a bimble and a (train ride then a ) beer. What's so difficult about that?

I've had a mild cold all week and now have zero energy in the legs.
So take my name off the list please.

Hope you all have a good ride.
See you next year.

I was wavering due to fear of cold (still feared of ice) last night but sleep acted as a healthy dose of mtfu. Also, that tailwind, niiiiiice.

Now, does the panel think that an l/s base layer, snug l/s jersey and a gore softshell over the top will be overkill, or just right in a toasty fashion?

never used to feel the cold, but do now - think I'll go for it - they're all at least half-zipped for ventilation. definitely wooly cross-hat under the helmet. oh and the most flouro oversocks I've ever seen, they're slightly ridiculous.

Top Bottom