FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend on Sea June 29th - the Genteel Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We all cycled past this in the morning warmth...some might like it hotter, were you a sharp-eyed spotter?
Southend FNRttC 2012 035.jpg

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

StuartG

slower but further
Well that was a ride of two halves!

I afeared doing a silly ride so soon after LonJoG. My only excursion on Tuesday confirmed how foolish it was. My thighs just said no to the pedals. But what a difference a few days can make. Riding up to HPC I felt good. Over Westminster Bridge and down the Embankment I felt even better. Maybe the trip had made me stronger?

Cockiness don't go well with cycling. The rain god was called up and necessitated a change of gear with J31 almost in sight. Bother. Still the second leg started OK. However, catching up on the week away meant I had been averaging 2 - 4 hours sleep a night. The deficit caught me up with avengence. As we progressed I didn't. The verge kept taking unexpected turns into my front wheel. Drowsiness stops you realising your problem.

Soon I was sleepriding. Thankfully someone was aware and saved the day night. Gently he brought me back.

"Are you alright?"
"Of course" I lied.

Sensibly he ignored that and with lots of encouragement he had me speeding to catch the mass. The blood fed the brain and I was able to enjoy the last bit. So thanks ZigZag. You are a hero. From mastering the Mille Alba to fostering an idiot on a Brompton all in the same week - you, sir, have reach.

Chapeau!

Yay, proof that I was on the ride, even if some of it was me tweaking the adjustment on my pedals, whilst you held my bike!
Tim, you were in virtual lead of the ride at one point. Remember the conversation along the lines of "There have been no punctures tonight" and there's you alongside the Ride Leader, and me directly behind you. That was cool confidence. Spain, tonight learned from our confidence. They would perhaps have withered at the prospect of Mira mamá sin manos.

1914022 said:
You can all just **** off

See? Not grumpy at all!

Andrij

Über Member
Back in the real world this morning. :sad: In spite of Southend not being the most glamorous destination nor J31 the best half-way stop, it was truly a lovely ride. (Oh, the the rain wasn't appreciated.) I am convinced more of these rides should be done sans lycra. Sorry to have missed LMNH, but I needed the time to sleep (5 hrs!) before setting off on the DunRun (yet another lovely ride). And don't believe a word from Mice - I have not suggested n+1. In fact, I suggested n-1+1 (-trike, +Moulton). *insert smug git smiley*

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No. He's never grumpy. He's always a little bundle of joy and smiles. Whatever the weather and no matter how much faffing about there's been, you can always count on Adrian for a cheery word and a big smile.
That's why I'm not sure this doppleganger was our Adrian. He was all gnomic smiles.

And wasn't wearing carrier bags on his feet.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well, what happened Friday night, was one of sheer passion reigniting enjoyment. I am a big believer of simplicity, even though my mind tries hard to complicate, but this ride, was simplicity beautiful.

I guess, one of the reasons I do these rides, is for the feeding off the enjoyment of others to rekindle the fire. And this was no exception.

Many of us regulars, will think nothing of cycle that kind of distance. And likewise the feeling for the same in then doing such so, through the night. We know the drill and more often than not, we get wet, such is mother natures temperance this year. But hey, I don't think its killed any of us or not been shortly forgotten under yellow and brown refreshment consumption. In fact, it adds to the excitement I find. The 'who's going to get wet' jibes. The 'who's going to pack a backpack full of stuff and a dingy' talk, to get us through to the sights of our blue yonder. I know CharlieB and I laugh in the face of wet weather.. and I know with just three back pockets, the best waterproofing is a hipflask. And for some others, Sandals..

But no, this ride for me, was fantastic for the sumptuous happy smiley new folk with their dogged determination to succeed and push their bodies like never before, for, I guess them the satisfaction and high of attaining such, what many of us understate, a fantastic achievement. Doing the impossible. We are unique and special and this high of happiness breeds. I am quite sure, many of these faces will still be smiling now. And so if I can be of any good to my own internal happiness from the mundaneness of normal life and its woes, helping such folk to realize does me wonders. It really does.

So for all those newbies, if I can call you that, you did brilliantly and kept me going too. So thank you and an almighty well done! You would not get me on a BSO and so the last lady at the end whose name I never obtained, but that I hope McWobble and I, despite my continual lies of 'there's no more hills after this one', did our best to guide to breakfast, well, that was an awesome feat, really was. Gritted steely and quiet determination. Love it.

I may be, as so fondly honoured the 'Chef D'affairs', but I am merely part of a great team of many unnamed and unrewarded fellow cyclists that keep us all going, including me. I like what I do a lot, a hell of a lot and so what I offer is minimal in the scheme is things but great for the good of the ride. I guess I just simply love cycling and especially love cycling with you all.

Am no TC with the written word, but as she was dearly missed, I have swallowed a dictionary and done my best to reward a simply great ride.

Baring Titus's very unfortunate mechanical, all was well, nothing to report. Which left me to be snap happy on the old dog and bone. I've tampered with it, but have a photo, whats rare for me!

Toodle pip!

AwoeY2ACAAAB4b3.jpg:large

As one of the newcomers I feel hugely grateful to all concerned. I had a fabulous time and have spent this morning re arranging my schedule to make sure I can do another couple of rides this summer. I had high expectations, and they were surpassed. Thanks to all for making me feel so welcome , and I look forwards to imposing my company on you all during future adventures

Tom

Well, what happened Friday night, was one of sheer passion reigniting enjoyment. I am a big believer of simplicity, even though my mind tries hard to complicate, but this ride, was simplicity beautiful.

I guess, one of the reasons I do these rides, is for the feeding off the enjoyment of others to rekindle the fire. And this was no exception.

Many of us regulars, will think nothing of cycle that kind of distance. And likewise the feeling for the same in then doing such so, through the night. We know the drill and more often than not, we get wet, such is mother natures temperance this year. But hey, I don't think its killed any of us or not been shortly forgotten under yellow and brown refreshment consumption. In fact, it adds to the excitement I find. The 'who's going to get wet' jibes. The 'who's going to pack a backpack full of stuff and a dingy' talk, to get us through to the sights of our blue yonder. I know CharlieB and I laugh in the face of wet weather.. and I know with just three back pockets, the best waterproofing is a hipflask. And for some others, Sandals..

But no, this ride for me, was fantastic for the sumptuous happy smiley new folk with their dogged determination to succeed and push their bodies like never before, for, I guess them the satisfaction and high of attaining such, what many of us understate, a fantastic achievement. Doing the impossible. We are unique and special and this high of happiness breeds. I am quite sure, many of these faces will still be smiling now. And so if I can be of any good to my own internal happiness from the mundaneness of normal life and its woes, helping such folk to realize does me wonders. It really does.

So for all those newbies, if I can call you that, you did brilliantly and kept me going too. So thank you and an almighty well done! You would not get me on a BSO and so the last lady at the end whose name I never obtained, but that I hope McWobble and I, despite my continual lies of 'there's no more hills after this one', did our best to guide to breakfast, well, that was an awesome feat, really was. Gritted steely and quiet determination. Love it.

I may be, as so fondly honoured the 'Chef D'affairs', but I am merely part of a great team of many unnamed and unrewarded fellow cyclists that keep us all going, including me. I like what I do a lot, a hell of a lot and so what I offer is minimal in the scheme is things but great for the good of the ride. I guess I just simply love cycling and especially love cycling with you all.

Am no TC with the written word, but as she was dearly missed, I have swallowed a dictionary and done my best to reward a simply great ride.

Baring Titus's very unfortunate mechanical, all was well, nothing to report. Which left me to be snap happy on the old dog and bone. I've tampered with it, but have a photo, whats rare for me!

Toodle pip!

AwoeY2ACAAAB4b3.jpg:large

Top Bottom