FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Superspeedy to Harwich 10th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Still, the magic incantation "FCC" worked though. ^_^

That was a fun ride, although after 97.6 miles, I'm a bit knackered, so opted to wimp out of the final Liverpool Street Station to Croydon cycle, and also because the Saturday morning traffic along the route is less pleasant than many other times.

We had a handful or mechanicals, so it was less fortunate than last years ride. I think there were three fairy visitations, including one which put a slash big enough to require a tyre boot, and a search for a replacement tyre in Harwich before departure.

The weather was excellent, just being cold enough that I did swap over to a long sleeved jersey once we left the urban heat island effect of London. If I'd managed to find both of my arm warmers, they would have provided a similar degree of comfort, and I could have survived just wearing a short sleeved jersey, but since I was carrying the long sleeved one, it seemed pointless to avoid using it.

The ferry crossing worked flawlessly, although we did have to put the pedal to the metal a bit, to make sure we got there on time (just). I'm not sure exactly what route we used from Brighlingsea to Harwich, but it departed significantly from the one we used last year. It did have some slightly busy stretches of road, with a few artics hammering past, but cycling into a port, that sort of traffic is inevitable.

I think I killed the screen on my phone, by dropping my bike, with the phone in the saddle bag pocket on that side. I hope I can retrieve my numbers off of it, if the touch screen will still work, and I can do the minimal operations necessary to access it from a PC.

U

User10571

1978515 said:
Bottom bracket all removed cleaned, re-greased and re-fitted but with a spacer on the non-drive side as well as the drive side. It is loads better, the play is eliminated but it is not perfect. Can't find the PTFE tape to try that.
I need to express my astonishment that you were somehow able to *eliminate* the play.
These are fit-and-forget units, rather than fit-and-fettle.
Good luck to you if you have managed to tighten things into silence...

1978515 said:
..... but it is not perfect. .......
Suggests to me that there may soon be an (audible) message for you, from that area of the bike .

U

User10571

Harder.
I overslept / the alarm didn't go off, and so I was woken by a 'Where-the-hell-are-you?' type phone call from DZ at a few minutes past midnight.
Buoyed on by my sudden state of instantaneous alertness (not) "Don't worry, I'll catch you" is all I managed to blurt, before launching myself at the lycra, the bike and the toothbrush, all at the same time.
Therefollowed a very much blurred ride through SE Londres during which time the infringement of a number of traffic regulations may or may not have taken place.
And some of it by me.

By the time I reached Bow flyover it is fair to say that my eyes were out on stalks. And my lungs felt like following suit in support.
As I crested the flyover's single laned zenith, a glance to the Olympic Park on my left heard me muttering 'Can you see this Hoy? Well? Can you?'
Those of us (you) who have in the past bemoaned the lugubrious nature of egress from east London to the provinces, should perhaps ponder awhile on the following:
If you do it really, really quickly, all the scuzziness, the worst that can be thrown at you by the likes of Forest Gate, Woodgrange Park, Ilford, Seven Kings and Chadwell Heath - all the all-nite vendors of fruit & veg, the curried-pizza emporiums on Romford Road, they all become one smeary blur of colour etched onto your retina, and you'll forget that you've ever passed through them. Just a thought.

And as such, as I reached the (relative) tranquility of Crow Lane in Romford, where the activity round my pedals was anything but tranquil, a flicker of red light caught my eye in the road ahead of me - but then it died.
A few more pedal strokes and the red flicker was there again - so it wasn't my imagination.
A final squeak from me brought me closer, and I was able to see the flashing LEDs of a thousand twenty or so riders.
"Gotcha!" I snarled in a tone of voice just like The Sun - assuming, that is, that The Sun has a voice. With a tone.
Surprised, is what they seemed, when I crept up on them with a cry of "All up" just as the peloton entered Romford's wonderful, one way system - the scene of much short-skirt/stilettos-in-hand (with police helicopter added, just for the noise) action on every previous occasion we've passed through there.
But last night all was quiet.

We passed as one fluid body by Gidea Park Station - the scene of serendipitous syzygy with ruck-sack-forgotten-Adrian on an earlier excursion, before hooning along the wonderfully named Squirrel's Heath Road.
The double-whammy ascent into Brentwood proved not to be the nemesis I was expecting after which, things took on a slightly calmer pallor.

Buttsbury ford threw down its wet gauntlet to those foolhardy enough to risk its depths.
I declined. And kept my feet dry.
Others did not.

The road, Lower Stock Road, I commented to DZ, is the Lonesome Lane of Essex as we skeined along its smooth as velvet path apace.

The rest of the ride seemed to move with a dream-like rhythm by comparison to my being jettisoned from the metropolis.
Maldon, the half way stop, arrived quickly - but nowhere near as quick as DZ would have us leave - clearly on a mission that we keep our appointment with the ferryman at Mersea Island.

The landing craft beached just as our forward party did, albeit from opposite directions.
Eight of us boarded with our bikes and we set sail.
Seconds after the ferryman had enquired whether our landing point was to be Brightlingsea or Point Clear, my phone rang. It was DZ, checking to see what instruction had been given to the ferryman as to our landing point.
How does he do that?
As we crossed the waves of the Colne, the ruby red orb of sunrise began to ascend.

At Brightlingsea the advance party slouched around awaiting the arrival of the slackers second wave of boat people.
Once assembled we set off for the twenty or so remaining miles, across idyllic countryside where the warm fingers of a rising sun were just starting to drum their rays, casting long shadows on what was the beginning of a new day.

We made it to Harwich by around 08:00.
The anticipated table-action at the cafe ensued - but once that particular local ritual had been fulfilled, food was served swiftly, the sun shone brightly, and all was well.

Thanks for your company, all those I rode with last night.
Apologies for my lateness.
Thanks DZ for organising.

TimO

Guru
... Therefollowed a very much blurred ride through SE Londres during which time the infringement of a number of traffic regulations may or may not have taken place.
And some of it by me. ... 'Can you see this Hoy? Well? Can you?' ...

I'm wondering about the possibility of pushing for the introduction of the cross-town FNRttC chase down as an Olympic sport. You have enough experience now to be a contender. ^_^

... The double-whammy ascent into Brentwood proved not to be the nemesis I was expecting after which, things took on a slightly calmer pallor. ...

Both times I've done that, I've expected it to be worse, and when we've got to the top, it's been a case of "Oh, was that it?". Doing Ditchling last week has made be rather blase about hills I guess!

... Buttsbury ford threw down it's wet gauntlet to those foolhardy enough to risk it's depths.
I declined. And kept my feet dry.
Others did not.

I followed dellzeqq's path through, on the basis that he knew the route well, so must know what he was doing, and easily went through it, with no more effect than slightly wet tyres.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well that was fun. The first time I've ever needed the assistance of the TECs. Thanks to Adrian (did anyone ever believe I'd say that) and Tim H for the help given patching up the remains of my front tyre. Thanks to Teef for keeping me going when I probably would have thrown in the towel.

It had been a fun ride until that point although I'm no great fan of East London. Nursing the tyre did take a lot of the fun away though. Got a cheap tyre in Harwich so the ride home was at decent speed. Ian doesn't like my route though, it's too picturesque for him. New tyres will be ordered tomorrow.

U

User10571

Well that was fun. The first time I've ever needed the assistance of the TECs. Thanks to Adrian (did anyone ever believe I'd say that) and Tim H for the help given patching up the remains of my front tyre. Thanks to Teef for keeping me going when I probably would have thrown in the towel.

It had been a fun ride until that point although I'm no great fan of East London. Nursing the tyre did take a lot of the fun away though. Got a cheap tyre in Harwich so the ride home was at decent speed. Ian doesn't like my route though, it's too picturesque for him. New tyres will be ordered tomorrow.
Just out of interest, Mart, when did you get back?
J

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just out of interest, Mart, when did you get back?
J

I got in at 4.00pm after a nice and speedy 85 miles (187 miles over all) of mainly very busy A Roads. :ohmy: Martin likes them.
And a visit to my LBS as my rear wheel had once again gone out of true.

We had a 40 minute break at Macdonalds at Maldon. DZ is right. MaccyD's coffee is fine indeed. However I nearly blew a gasket when the server when asked for a Vanilla milkshake said that they no longer do it as it has been replaced by Rollo-Shake. Disgraceful.
And a usual wait at the Dartford crossing. There was already someone waiting to cross, so both Martin & Rimas graciously let me jump in the first van.

Well done to both Charlie B and Michael who both smashed their personal mileage bests by a long way.

Here is my GPX of the route home. (with a nice 16.3mph avg :sweat: )

I set off for the meet in good time. Ramadan in progress means that there is a lot of extra prayer stuff on my route, which in turn means extra parked-up congestion. West Hendon, followed by a big one at Cricklewood...and then onwards to the decibel-busting Maserati parading of the Marble Arch end of the Edgware Road. It seemed extra noisy, extra fragrant, and then...I was in need of gas for my flat front tyre!
Helpfully, LoCOG had provided immense floodlighting near Wellington Arch, to help folk with their puncture repairs and Tim H and I chatted under the deluxe facility. One of the security guys wandered over and asked if we were anything to do with that strange lot who came here last week and were going to Brighton. "Not us guv." we replied, as he flicked through his brief of banned activities...the fame of the FNRttC has infiltrated, and the person displayed the good feeling which has prevailed during the past two weeks.
Anyway, a fly past of The Stadium followed - everything looked alluring - and than onward to nightclublands. Unlike usual rides, where the clubs have chucked out and there are staggerees to see, we were early through, and then into the countryside, where it got a teensy bit chilly for a while.
We took the Mersea beach by stealth:
Harwich 010.jpgcrop.jpg

Whilst the second wave of troops awaited the landing craft, we enjoyed the vista of an approaching day...
Harwich 012.jpg2.jpg

A straightforward, nice ride, with some odd bits of big, fast stuff to deal with on our approach - as Tim O mentioned earlier - but there was room for everyone and we arrived safely.
The Port was quaint and gave notice of intent, or 'inboat'. (Thanks to Thom for pointing out one of the boats...)
Harwich 015.jpg2.jpg

Harwich 016.jpg2.jpg

Off the pace today and took the unusually sensible decision to let the train take the strain. Missed out on 80 of the 203 miles which I was rather looking forward to completing - the conditions were excellent compared to last year. Oh well, next time. Hope the other lads had a great retour.
Stu was being overlooked by the Grim Reaper at one point in the return journey!
Ill Compound.jpg2.jpg

And. It was hot and dry. All the time. Brentwood was the warmest I have been for a couple of years - and not a riot or shake-down in sight!
Cheers all, thanks for the company and well done the ridebackers - just clocked your notifications <envious> :smile: :thumbsup:

Not a bleedin' Perseid in sight either!

U

User10571

I got in at 4.00pm after a nice and speedy 85 miles (187 miles over all) of mainly very busy A Roads. :ohmy: Martin likes them.
And a visit to my LBS as my rear wheel had once again gone out of true.

We had a 40 minute break at Macdonalds at Maldon. DZ is right. MaccyD's coffee is fine indeed. However I nearly blew a gasket when the server when asked for a Vanilla milkshake said that they no longer do it as it has been replaced by Rollo-Shake. Disgraceful.
And a usual wait at the Dartford crossing. There was already someone waiting to cross, so both Martin & Rimas graciously let me jump in the first van.

Well done to both Charlie B and Michael who both smashed their personal mileage bests by a long way.

Here is my GPX of the route home. (with a nice 16.3mph avg :sweat: )
Well done, guys!
Nice pics , 'Teef.

TimO

Guru
I've put the route up here, on GPSies. 84.2 miles in total, which is slightly less than last year's 87.2 miles, although it's not dramatically different from last years route, up to the ferry crossing. This year we used a quite different route from Brightlingsea to Harwich.

Top Bottom