FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Superspeedy to Harwich 10th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
To be honest, I'd not used a lot of physical energy on the way out as I was limping along on the b******d tyre. I'd say half the trip to Harwich was on the booted tyre which drained nervous energy (I've a nervous disposition) but once I'd got the new tyre on I could put my foot down a little. McDs certainly helped!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
This is a great route. Miles of sinuous lanes with near perfect surfaces.
The café on the pier is one of the cheaper ones we visit, even if the veggie breakfast option is a bit strange.
And a great fast SMRbtH. The temptation to peel off as soon as I saw a sign to Upminster (the far end of the District line) proved too great, but 153m for the day for me was, as Ian has already said, a new record.

zigzag

Veteran
what a great ride in probably the best weather this year. came back home pretty knackered, crashed out at 7pm and woke up 4:20am..:cuppa:
my camera doesn't really work in the dark, so photos start at the break of dawn
IMGP0320.jpg

more photos here

This is a great route. Miles of sinuous lanes with near perfect surfaces.
The café on the pier is one of the cheaper ones we visit, even if the veggie breakfast option is a bit strange.
And a great fast SMRbtH. The temptation to peel off as soon as I saw a sign to Upminster (the far end of the District line) proved too great, but 153m for the day for me was, as Ian has already said, a new record.
Ah! Well done Charlie (and Michael) for joining the lads - it is a lovely ride back isn't it? I hope Rimas didn't let the average drop below 18mph on the drag from Posh, historic Harwich to Maldon...:whistle: :smile:

iLB

Hello there
Nice photos Rimas, it seems like taking the ferry with a group of skinny cyclists negates the fear factor of taking it with a bunch of 'buxom' Essex lasses though!

Nice photos Rimas, it seems like taking the ferry with a group of skinny cyclists negates the fear factor of taking it with a bunch of 'buxom' Essex lasses though!
Simon recounted this formative moment in your 'life skills almanac', Andy.
Your mere mention of the word capsize had them all looking inside their 'Kiss Me Quick' hats no doubt.:smile:

Michael Adu

Über Member
I got in at 4.00pm after a nice and speedy 85 miles (187 miles over all) of mainly very busy A Roads. :ohmy: Martin likes them.
And a visit to my LBS as my rear wheel had once again gone out of true.

We had a 40 minute break at Macdonalds at Maldon. DZ is right. MaccyD's coffee is fine indeed. However I nearly blew a gasket when the server when asked for a Vanilla milkshake said that they no longer do it as it has been replaced by Rollo-Shake. Disgraceful.
And a usual wait at the Dartford crossing. There was already someone waiting to cross, so both Martin & Rimas graciously let me jump in the first van.

Well done to both Charlie B and Michael who both smashed their personal mileage bests by a long way.

Here is my GPX of the route home. (with a nice 16.3mph avg :sweat: )

Great ride and company on friday night Saturday morning
Smooth tarmarc, winding country lanes, red lights ahead darting like starlings. I didn,t know what to expect when I wheeled my bike across the sand looking for a vessel to take us across the waters, but it took two journeys to get us safely across.
Never felt so tired as we cycled with the morning sun in our eyes, I nearly fell asleep on several occassion only will kept me from falling.
Knotched up just over 180 miles don't know where I got that 2nd wind from to cycle all the way home SMRBTH Crew should have crossed the river as the a13 was a grim old slow route home even with boris's blue Brick road.
What did I learn this week ?
Well hope lights are the choice of the night riders
What SMRBTH stands for
And not to Bragg to Andrew br about not having any punctures on ride I has none the week even with all the glass on the a13

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Great ride and company on friday night Saturday morning
Smooth tarmarc, winding country lanes, red lights ahead darting like starlings. I didn,t know what to expect when I wheeled my bike across the sand looking for a vessel to take us across the waters, but it took two journeys to get us safely across.
Never felt so tired as we cycled with the morning sun in our eyes, I nearly fell asleep on several occassion only will kept me from falling.
Knotched up just over 180 miles don't know where I got that 2nd wind from to cycle all the way home SMRBTH Crew should have crossed the river as the a13 was a grim old slow route home even with boris's blue Brick road.
What did I learn this week ?
Well hope lights are the choice of the night riders
What SMRBTH stands for
And not to Bragg to Andrew br about not having any punctures on ride I has none the week even with all the glass on the a13
Nice one Michael (and Charlie)- 180 is over my mileage record to date! A13 definitely not the right choice (been there, done that!), swinging north through Rainham and on to Barking would have been better. Dartford is the only place to cross the river until you get into the smoke, but sticking north isn't too bad if you get the route right.

U

User10571

.........Dartford is the only place to cross the river until you get into the smoke, but sticking north isn't too bad if you get the route right.

No, it isn't.
Tilbury has a ferry which operates between there and Gravesend every day, except on Sundays.

I stand corrected.
I'm sure there's scope for a submarine service, Stu! :smile:
It obviously gives scope for a ride to Darford North side and South side 'teams'. Criss-crossing the bridge in threes ^_^ and then wending a way to the Tilbury / Gravesend terminii - and thence to somewhere nice where the medals can be presented. I'll nominate Rimas, Thom and User10571 in my team, ta:smile:

Michael Adu

Über Member
Always trust User10571 ^_^
Well done Michael! 'SMRBTH'? Easy! "Saturday Morning Ride Back Through Harwich" :thumbsup:

I won't say it was easy (it was not the right night and day to break in me new shoes) but the company made it enjoyable as we pushed each other on, all the other suggested routes have been noted Ta! I have many options now another lesson learned ....... a good few minutes planning ALL the journey home like Gorden and Stu is time well spent! Then again I was was aiming to take the train untill minutes before we all left !
Great Cheeky photo's

Top Bottom