FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - te 'Genteel' ride to Brighton on 23rd July 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad things aren't too badly mashed up Stu. When I rolled up, it was very disconcerting seeing you flat on the road like that. And it's a shame you missed out on all the fun and frivolity at the top of Ditchling.

However, here's a little taster for you.

th_DSCF0012.jpg

More video and pictures here.

Note - apologies for blob and low res.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
And nice work Adam!
It almost goes without saying that the prang was not part of the plan...though I'd rather have had a puncture or three than the damage to myself and lovely components..!!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Excellent work Halo. Very glad you were there to cap that. Turns out my new cam mount was a little 'lively' where one might prefer 'stable'.
Net result is only people who stayed *very* still are in any way recognisable. Stu, of course, held a perfect pose, but the rest of us were so busy bumping around Southern England there are very few photos I can share.

Things worked better after sunrise, but by then the mount was becoming increasingly distracted by gravity, and Ian was upsetting things by adamantly refusing to get in focus.

We'll see what the handycam picked up, in addition to the below...

(whoops! Those pics are enormous. Will resample and repost).

[attachment=231:blush:MGP3361.JPG][attachment=232:blush:MGP3011.JPG][attachment=233:blush:MGP3050.JPG][attachment=234:blush:MGP3053.JPG][attachment=235:blush:MGP3177.JPG][attachment=236:blush:MGP3191.JPG][attachment=237:blush:MGP3202.JPG][attachment=238:blush:MGP3239.JPG][attachment=239:blush:MGP3277.JPG][attachment=240:blush:MGP3322.JPG][attachment=241:blush:MGP3618.JPG][attachment=242:blush:MGP3361.JPG][attachment=243:blush:MGP3363.JPG][attachment=244:blush:MGP3480.JPG] [attachment=245:blush:MGP3491.JPG][attachment=246:blush:MGP3492.JPG][attachment=247:blush:MGP3532.JPG][attachment=248:blush:MGP3534.JPG][attachment=249:blush:MGP3545.JPG][attachment=250:blush:MGP3612.JPG][attachment=251:blush:MGP3831.JPG][attachment=252:blush:MGP3618.JPG][attachment=253:blush:MGP3619.JPG][attachment=254:blush:MGP3715.JPG][attachment=255:blush:MGP3732.JPG][attachment=256:blush:MGP3741.JPG][attachment=257:blush:MGP3771.JPG][attachment=258:blush:MGP3806.JPG][attachment=259:blush:MGP3811.JPG][attachment=260:blush:MGP3813.JPG] [attachment=261:blush:MGP3931.JPG][attachment=264:blush:MGP3905.JPG][attachment=263:blush:MGP3851.JPG][attachment=262:blush:MGP3831.JPG]

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For the record, you lot, you wonderful, happy, joyous lot, sank 16 bottles of Italy's finest atop the Beacon. Chapeau!

and your happy smiling faces simply blew my awful hangover away.

Stu, I'll bring a bottle along the next time we both do a FNRttC to split with you.

Claudine, you're a star. An utter, absolute star.

FNRttC proving that even if you can't cycle you can still have fun with cyclists

des.o

Veteran
I remember talking to Mike E last year about this and speculating that the genteel run was the highlight of the fnrttc calendar - this year proved the theory. A beautiful night's riding, the halfway stop felt like we had time-shifted into a mediterranean cafe and the scenes atop ditchling were just something else, almost surreal thinking back on it now. I got the impression that the random riders coming across the celebrations thought they may have strayed into one of those TdeF flash mob finishes (http://www.guardian....e-remi-gaillard) Huge credit to Claudine et al for pulling that all together. Mr Madiera getting in on the act down at the cafe was a lovely touch.

Great to see a good number of new riders taking on a challenging ride and reminding us lot that 60 odd miles is actually a serious cycling achievement and delighted to see Stu posting on the thread and clearly feeling much better than the last time I saw you. You'll be wearing that roadrash as a badge of honour for a couple of weeks.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Stu - very glad to know you're not badly hurt, and that damage to the Viner, though distressing, is superficial. I think I was admiring that nice shiny rear mech of yours not too many minutes before it all went wrong. We were worried waiting at the bottom of Reigate Hill, and relieved when news reached us at the Cafe. You were missed during the celebrations, and (although I know it's not much consolation) we drank your health as we washed down the excellent parkin.

Couldn't be more delighted with Greg and and The Lovely Mrs Rich P, and the faultless performance of their crucial part of the plan. Talk about panache! A perfect choice of fizz from Mr Collns. Equally impeccable timing from Tim H, who passed us just as we sneaked off from the Greenhouses while the Hatlers were doing a fine job with refreshments and distractions. And thanks for all the kind comments, but everyone's enthusiasm was so overwhelming that the only real challenge was trying to keep a lid on it. I was still fielding suggestions, contributions and offers of every kind of assistance imaginable even as we were assembing at the top of the Beacon. I still can't quite believe we got away with it. Will - the cap reached us via Frank, as you will have seen from some of the breakfast snaps. Thanks - that topped it off nicely, if you see what I mean. I have a few more pics to post when I'm back in the office.

Anyway, there's no doubting the affection and esteem in which Simon, and the FNRttC, are deservedly held, and it's nice for us all to have the chance to give something back once in while. So I hope Simon will forgive us incidentally sabotaging his Dr Bike session (although I believe he did manage to fix one, er, lucky person's bike in a state of only moderate inebriation), and I hope that Susie (who essentially set the ball rolling) was pleased with our efforts. It's nice when a plan comes together. I won't even attempt to name everyone else who helped out, but suffice to say that goodwill and good wishes were flooding in from every direction, and there were many more with us in spirit than could actually be atop Ditchling that morning. Which is just as well, as we made rather short work of quite a lot of booze as it was...

Good to meet Zimmers at last, as "Thin Rich" will testify ;), and to put a few more names to faces. Pics tomorrow (though I was disappointed not to capture Matt falling of the recumbent at Wivelsfield Green).

A big :girl: to all of you. I had a whale of a time.

StuAff

Stu, of course, held a perfect pose, but the rest of us were so busy bumping around Southern England there are very few photos I can share.
At least you weren't bumping along the ground....!!!
biggrin.gif

StuAff

For the record, you lot, you wonderful, happy, joyous lot, sank 16 bottles of Italy's finest atop the Beacon. Chapeau!

and your happy smiling faces simply blew my awful hangover away.

Stu, I'll bring a bottle along the next time we both do a FNRttC to split with you.

Claudine, you're a star. An utter, absolute star.

FNRttC proving that even if you can't cycle you can still have fun with cyclists
Bottle of something non-alcholic?

And yup, I can't cycle at the mo....but still having fun, sort of!!!

StuAff

Stu - very glad to know you're not badly hurt, and that damage to the Viner, though distressing, is superficial. I think I was admiring that nice shiny rear mech of yours not too many minutes before it all went wrong. We were worried waiting at the bottom of Reigate Hill, and relieved when news reached us at the Cafe. You were missed during the celebrations, and (although I know it's not much consolation) we drank your health as we washed down the excellent parkin.

Rest assured, I'll be back ASAP. Should be in full working order by the end of the week, hopefully. And the Viner may be scarred but it isn't broken or beat. My mum thinks it's been unlucky for me. I disagree, it's cattle grids and cats' eyes, and dodgy bottom bracket shells....

Origamist

Legendary Member
A superb and eventful "birthday leggend" FNRttC - it was both a pleasure and privilege to attend.

There was a palpable sense of anticipation and good cheer as we meandered through the night (only partly disturbed by Stu's sub-Cancellara descending - glad you're OK, Stu). The weather was mild, with only the gentlest of headwinds. We were also fortunate that there were very few punctures en route. The new cafe was a success; I particularly enjoyed the baklava slice...

When we made it to the top of the Beacon the atmosphere was fantastic - party-poppers, fizzy, cake, banners, cards, messages emblazoned on the tarmac, cheers, a vuvuzela?! etc. The plaudits mainly belong to TC who did some sterling organisational work, but many other people deserve a mention too: Greg, the Hatlers, the fragrant Mrs Rich P, Martin et al.

I also contributed to the frivolities - carrying a birthday jar of honey, book and CC cap. I also delayed Simon by 8 seconds at the foot of the beacon with a jaffa cake. It would be a shame if this monumental effort went unrecorded.

As others have observed, I also dabbled on a Burrows Ratracer SL - this was not my finest cycling moment, but my cycling history is littered with embarrassments (did I ever mention my collision with a marshal on a TT?) but it was only a minor mishap, by my standards...

On the run in to Brighton I had to retrieve Susie's cap from the roadside after it had been dislodged by some fast descending. The Madeira cafe was as slick as ever and the opening of the Seagull next door was a blessing for those in need of post-ride refreshments. I'm not sure whose floral apparel was more garish, mine or Adrian's, but it was certainly a close run thing.

It was great to meet some new people: Naomi, tall Martin, slow motion Martin, Paul (was working hard on his fixed), oh, and the brave London Skaters rider who lent me his bent, not once, but twice. It was also good to catch up with Lee, Des, Rich, Ed, Mart "the matchmaker" and Susie.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Right. That's better. Far more manageable this size. All will make their way to the regular flickbook, but it won't be today. Sorry. Kids call.
IMGP3905.JPG IMGP3851.JPG IMGP3931.JPG IMGP3813.JPG IMGP3811.JPG IMGP3806.JPG IMGP3771.JPG IMGP3741.JPG IMGP3732.JPG IMGP3715.JPG IMGP3619.JPG IMGP3618.JPG IMGP3831.JPG IMGP3612.JPG IMGP3545.JPG IMGP3534.JPG IMGP3532.JPG IMGP3492.JPG IMGP3491.JPG IMGP3480.JPG IMGP3363.JPG IMGP3361.JPG IMGP3322.JPG IMGP3277.JPG IMGP3239.JPG IMGP3202.JPG IMGP3191.JPG IMGP3177.JPG IMGP3053.JPG IMGP3050.JPG IMGP3011.JPG IMGP3361.JPG IMGP3618.JPG

Preface:
Yes Matt - I'm cr*p at matchmaking but hey - one has to try these business ventures! And yes - your bermudas drew admiring glances...I saw you looking at them all morning. What a time I had. Lovely to see all the regulars, to chat with new ones and immerse myself in the bath of pleasantness which is the FNRttC.

29bezc8.jpg
It is always a pleasure to participate in these rides - the chance to meet different people, meet friends made through cycling and meet a breakfast built for cycling on arrival at the seafront!
For me, this has come about because of the Friday Night Rides, because of Simon and his enthusiasm. Watching how the experienced riders operate, and learning, little by little, to appreciate the 'flavour' of the night...
Happy Birthday Simon. It was a fab. effort by Claudine to coordinate the events and I'm sure everyone had a blast - I arrived at the Madeira ahem er 'refreshed' after a few sharpeners atop Ditchling - and it got worse...
It is nice to read of achievements by all the return riders - as Andy said, Brighton is the ideal launchpad for mad cycling exploits. Even madder if Rimas is involved, or one of the other loony tunes who frequent the South of the River... :biggrin:

Anyway, apart from Stu's accident and the road rash scrape it was a quite uneventful ride. Des was looking after the two ladies at the back (Jan and Sue I think...) with Adam and Alan - they were very appreciative of the way they were cared for. Hauling a wardrobe full of clothing, makeup, bottles, tins and a couple of bars of bullion is not the ideal way to approach the ride - and Sue was grateful for our running repairs. Her bike had been 'serviced' recently at her LBS. The handlebar clamp came undone and meant her bars twisted, her brakes were suspect, and the chain dropped once or twice! Apart from that - perfect.

The halfway stop was also interesting, Great coffee, served by Bulent and his (I'm guessing brother here?)

2zqbrky.jpg
They were nice, and baklava for half-time...exotic or what?

2uyhp8x.jpg
The Hatler Coffee Crew were at the greenhouses with yet another twinkling extra for the nightriders, and everyone prepared themselves for the ascent to partytime. Simon was by now feeling a tad edgy - he had reached his acceptance levels for mudguards and immense, unweildy panniers...the final power-to-weight ratio / climbing time calculations were playing heavy on his mind...and he was miles back as well! (The night's events had left their mark in more ways than one, helpfully in this instance) and Rich & I 'raced' :rofl: up Ditchling with Adam's chalk supply. Ian was already there - let writing be wrote...

w1zrz6.jpg
Greg was in civvies with bartender rig - it's always a bit weird when one is used to seeing people in regular cycling gear and suddenly they turn up dressed as humans! Terri P - who also drew admiring glances for her lovely bicycle, was on hand to make sure her old man was behaving supply us old folk with glasses - we get fussy about these things :rolleyes:

esw1mr.jpg
Terri tells Rich to be back home by 10:00am at the latest...

lk13q.jpg
Adam's pre-talced Birthday card gets the once over from the Lord of the Beacon...

29kugqo.jpg
"Ditchling Beacon? Piece of cake!" Luckily, mini-Hatler got both - well done!

2hxt9a8.jpg
"Cheers Simon!" Naomi toasts the Leader - what a beautiful day was breaking out - an ideal backdrop to the festivities. It also just goes to show what a secretive calculating couple of females that Susie and Claudine are...Simon never had a clue...which is so not Simon. A marvellous surprise.

15vihv.jpg
"...and then I pulled a bit out of his computer so he couldn't even get online...there's no way he was going to have any idea..."

Already reasonably afloat thanks to the breakfast bubbly, it was then a simple matter of trailing into Brighton with andy A, trying unsuccessfully to activate the speed camera, eating a bit of breakfast - washed down with Andrij's Laphroaig - ta ;) - and then searching for a bar. I have in my posession a few receipts from 'The Seagull Café' (immediately next door to the Madeira) which indicates that we had erm...some drinks to celebrate a glorious day.

2njbiu8.jpg
Rich - teaching me bad habits after FNRttCs - Claudine looks on...

10ojn0n.jpg
Adrian - another Brighton Boy - wearing his 'seagull scarer' - a shirt for the celebration if ever there was one!

43j9e.jpg
Cheers!

I'll assemble the complete album of postcards and post a link later...
Photos shown here and others are here

Top Bottom