FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - te 'Genteel' ride to Brighton on 23rd July 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
actually...I too checked out the site, and was dead impressed

(as I was with the marvellous shirts gifted me on Saturday morning - pics to follow...)

No no - the top one is Adrian and the bottom, Matt
xx(

I loved this shirt - and it comes in a 6X - for a few dollars more...
389black.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I must apologise. Atop of the Beacon some one come up to me and asked if I was Ianrauk. I said yes but very rudely didn't ask who you were. So sorry about that.. who ever it was..very rude of me. I will blame the champers and cake....
whistling.gif

mangaman

Preface:
Yes Matt - I'm cr*p at matchmaking but hey - one has to try these business ventures! And yes - your bermudas drew admiring glances...I saw you looking at them all morning. What a time I had. Lovely to see all the regulars, to chat with new ones and immerse myself in the bath of pleasantness which is the FNRttC.

29bezc8.jpg
It is always a pleasure to participate in these rides - the chance to meet different people, meet friends made through cycling and meet a breakfast built for cycling on arrival at the seafront!
For me, this has come about because of the Friday Night Rides, because of Simon and his enthusiasm. Watching how the experienced riders operate, and learning, little by little, to appreciate the 'flavour' of the night...
Happy Birthday Simon. It was a fab. effort by Claudine to coordinate the events and I'm sure everyone had a blast - I arrived at the Madeira ahem er 'refreshed' after a few sharpeners atop Ditchling - and it got worse...
It is nice to read of achievements by all the return riders - as Andy said, Brighton is the ideal launchpad for mad cycling exploits. Even madder if Rimas is involved, or one of the other loony tunes who frequent the South of the River... :biggrin:

Anyway, apart from Stu's accident and the road rash scrape it was a quite uneventful ride. Des was looking after the two ladies at the back (Jan and Sue I think...) with Adam and Alan - they were very appreciative of the way they were cared for. Hauling a wardrobe full of clothing, makeup, bottles, tins and a couple of bars of bullion is not the ideal way to approach the ride - and Sue was grateful for our running repairs. Her bike had been 'serviced' recently at her LBS. The handlebar clamp came undone and meant her bars twisted, her brakes were suspect, and the chain dropped once or twice! Apart from that - perfect.

The halfway stop was also interesting, Great coffee, served by Bulent and his (I'm guessing brother here?)

2zqbrky.jpg
They were nice, and baklava for half-time...exotic or what?

2uyhp8x.jpg
The Hatler Coffee Crew were at the greenhouses with yet another twinkling extra for the nightriders, and everyone prepared themselves for the ascent to partytime. Simon was by now feeling a tad edgy - he had reached his acceptance levels for mudguards and immense, unweildy panniers...the final power-to-weight ratio / climbing time calculations were playing heavy on his mind...and he was miles back as well! (The night's events had left their mark in more ways than one, helpfully in this instance) and Rich & I 'raced' :rofl: up Ditchling with Adam's chalk supply. Ian was already there - let writing be wrote...

w1zrz6.jpg
Greg was in civvies with bartender rig - it's always a bit weird when one is used to seeing people in regular cycling gear and suddenly they turn up dressed as humans! Terri P - who also drew admiring glances for her lovely bicycle, was on hand to make sure her old man was behaving supply us old folk with glasses - we get fussy about these things :rolleyes:

esw1mr.jpg
Terri tells Rich to be back home by 10:00am at the latest...

lk13q.jpg
Adam's pre-talced Birthday card gets the once over from the Lord of the Beacon...

29kugqo.jpg
"Ditchling Beacon? Piece of cake!" Luckily, mini-Hatler got both - well done!

2hxt9a8.jpg
"Cheers Simon!" Naomi toasts the Leader - what a beautiful day was breaking out - an ideal backdrop to the festivities. It also just goes to show what a secretive calculating couple of females that Susie and Claudine are...Simon never had a clue...which is so not Simon. A marvellous surprise.

15vihv.jpg
"...and then I pulled a bit out of his computer so he couldn't even get online...there's no way he was going to have any idea..."

Already reasonably afloat thanks to the breakfast bubbly, it was then a simple matter of trailing into Brighton with andy A, trying unsuccessfully to activate the speed camera, eating a bit of breakfast - washed down with Andij's Laphroaig - ta ;) - and then searching for a bar. I have in my posession a few receipts from 'The Seagull Café' (immediately next door to the Madeira) which indicates that we had erm...some drinks to celebrate a glorious day.

2njbiu8.jpg
Rich - teaching me bad habits after FNRttCs - Claudine looks on...

10ojn0n.jpg
Adrian - another Brighton Boy - wearing his 'seagull scarer' - a shirt for the celebration if ever there was one!

43j9e.jpg
Cheers!

I'll assemble the complete album of postcards and post a link later...
Photos shown here and others are here

Great pictures - I love the grafitti on the "Col De Ditchling Beacon" as Miguel Indurain once called it :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh My! What a wonderful ride for an aged novice on his first FNRttC.

At HPC, I gazed in awe at the calves, thighs and bikes, and felt as though my knobbly knees were straight out of a McGill seaside postcard. They are, if the truth be known. I was seriously worried, but I need not have bothered. Everybody gave me huge encouragement and friendship along the the way, the experts and the newcomers alike. Thank you all.

No, I didn't manage all of Ditching Beacon, unlike a little lad who passed me on the way. Top dude!

The "drinkie-poos" on the top took on an increasingly surreal aspect in the mist. Cars, walkers, and other cyclists took our toasts in different ways. Can I thank everybody who arranged this stealthy celebration for Simon? Happy Birthday.

Many thanks to the organisers, TECs and wayfinders. What a smooth operation...brilliant.

I enjoyed much "beer and bullshit" on the seafront after breakfast, and nearly missed my train home, despite Origamist's best efforts.

Can I thank you all for a wonderful night and day? I hope to return...

Best wishes,

Martin

courtesy of CrinklyLion. I'm quite overwhelmed with all of this.

Please note the absence of mudguards, racks, panniers, and untalced tubes :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I came across a road covered in TdF style chalk and rode under the Birthday Banner, before coming to a stunned stop and being handed a glass of fizz. It took me some time to work out that some familiar faces were those of people who hadn't been on the ride, and that the prosecco was not from a single bottle, but from an ice-filled barrel with a dozen bottles in it. Adrian was there, having seen Stu off and zipped up from Brighton.

Steven and Linda - curse you for setting your wedding date for yesterday*, otherwise we'd have been up there on the tandem on Friday night rather than tucked up in bed preparing for your shindig. And probably falling asleep this afternoon rather than knocking on the head every bottle we could find.

One day, my friends, one day...

*OK - it was fun bashing together a bit of Dvorak in three time for a procession, and the War March of the Priests is always a jolly jape as a recessional, but the Czech reading was a bit hard after the theatrical - and scary - rendition of 1 Corinthinans.

clivedb

Guru
Thanks yet again to Simon, and everyone else who contributed to another fantastic FNRttC. And it was such a relief to hear that what looked like a bad accident turned out not to be so - get well soon, Stu!

Special thanks go to the co-conspirators:

IMG_0445.JPG

And to Mr Postcard!

IMG_0444.JPG

And the star of the show:

IMG_0457.jpg

Let no-one say that Adrian didn't share the bottle!
IMG_0466.JPG

Hommage to the Bandage
IMG_0460.jpg

Doctor Bike!
IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

There's always a silver lining; Ian makes sure that Stu's sandwich goes to a good home:

IMG_0446.JPG

Go here for a few more photos - including Matt struggling on the bent, tho I didn't get the fall...
http://picasaweb.goo...BrightJuly2010#

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Apologies to the unknown rider recognising me as we set off from Turners Hill. Gravity stole the conversation we would have shared.

I must apologise. Atop of the Beacon some one come up to me and asked if I was Ianrauk. I said yes but very rudely didn't ask who you were. So sorry about that..

Please God, don't let that be the same person! We really are quite friendly, honest.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one Lee, that's some riding... It was a true comedy moment when you zipped by us at Handross whilst giving us a fine (cough) salute....

[QUOTE 1112895"]
Well I've just got up after getting in last night at 1930hrs absolutely exhausted after being out on the trike for 24hrs however I have done my double century at 203 miles and broke my max speed PB doing 52.5mph on one of the other hills going into Brighton. But the day for me was not without it's mishaps. I seem to have forgotten a few things when undertaken a long bike ride, and that is you get enough rest especailly when doing a night ride and you eat and drink before you feel the need.

I started off wanting to do the double ton and so from where I was in Luton set off West through Dunstable, Ivinghoe all the way to Tring where I jumped on the B'Stead road and stayed on it till it joined the A41 then into London giving me a few miles that were needed because I would rather do them first thing then when riding home.

Then on to the night ride itself I felt good for the first part but then the lack of drinking or eating anything meant I felt a bit tired towards the latter half and kinda 'bonked' going up Ditchling which by my rough estimation took me about 20 mins to get up, some riding and some walking with the trike.

Finally got to the top, it was fantastic the celebrations for Simons birthday and well deserved. After sitting down and having a rest and after telling Claudine that I was 'on my chinstrap' Army slang for basically felling exhausted I eat some lovely cake and made my way to the cafe.

Feeling somewhat annoyed that I had only done 48.9mph down Reigate hill I felt determined to crack 50 mph going down one of the other hills going into Brighton and set my sights on the hill used in the BHF ride. Turning left at the junction after the Beacon and then missing the turn going right instead going straight on. I thought I had found it but then the road leading off it I saw a sign saying 11% and it was all good not the hill I wanted in the first place but hey ho.Cranked up the gears and pedalled like a man on a mission I hit 52.5mph passing a car and a van like they standing still before turning right at the bottom and riding towards the cafe.

Had some breakfast and sugar and although feeling tired I felt good on the trike and after saying my goodbyes set off on my own up the A23 cycle path. Not a bad route really and I enjoyed it. Saw Ian & Co south of Crawley having a break and then again at Gatwick and south of Croydon. Coming into Gatwick I started to feel hungry but again like a muppet I didn't stop instead carried on and again started to wane and set my sights on the first cafe I saw.

Stopped at a place in Croydon and taking about 30mins to have eat some food whilst trying my hardest not to fall asleep on the table. Set off through London which was a nightmare in terms of traffic, endless stop starting and did'nt really pick up a good pace until North Finchley on the A41. Then rode on heading for home and got in, had a shower and went straight to bed.

Thank you for the ride Simon as ever it was well organised and hope you enjoyed your birthday. It was great seeing you all, Martin, Ian, Halo, Claudine. Paul, Rich, Andy, Dave, Andy sorry if I have missed any others.

Well done on the group that rode back lead by Ian. Well done Halo, Martin235 and M Grant on your first centurys and get well soon Stuart, whose safety talk I can still hear now at the top of Reigate hill.:whistle:
[/quote]

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Here's some pics i've taken

http://yfrog.com/0qbrighton23july10151jx

http://img26.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=brighton23july10151.jpg

and here's part 2

http://yfrog.com/n3brighton23july10306ajx

http://img831.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=brighton23july10306a.jpg

i may have had too much to drink today as i've loaded the pics backwards sorry

We had fun on friday night, it's all been said in the earlier posts, the pics more or less show the night
from my point of view, enjoy.

Thankyou Simon, theClaude and everyone that joined Simons' birthdayday ride

Glad to hear you're on the mend Stu
tc

Top Bottom