FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast to Southend-on-Sea 30th April 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
...and now with benefit of GPX track:

• 0711: Exit B1464 at Thundersley (on route?), immediately taking RDBT off route to A130 Northbound.
  • 0718: Catch front rider, now on A1245. Stop. Discuss.
  • 0719: Agree to loop back on the roundabout under the A127.
  • 0725: Puncture within sight of the roundabout of 0711.
  • 0735: rolling again.
  • 0736: rejoin route.
  • 0740: stop to fix camera (2 mins)
  • 0745: meet TECs.

Does that make sense to anyone??? :bicycle:

Oddly, Ian and I got lost at the same rdbt on the ride home! :smile:

clivedb

Guru
arallsopp said:
Whether they (and thus we) were off the front or not, I have no idea. It was that post dawn slot where everything (including mental faculty) is slightly misty. Either way, when my camera detached at the bottom of Bread and Cheese, I sent them on with a wave. Spinning up to join the TECs a few minutes later, I still can't work out how we went from the front to the back so quickly. Maybe we'd been off route for a lot longer than I'd thought...

To avoid confusion, a point of clarification here, Andy.

The small group you met part way up Bread and Cheese were not the official TECs - I think by then they had indulged in the dubious manoeuvre of taking a short cut and had become the 'tete de la course'! In fact the group on B&C were orphans, formed out of the generous impulse to rescue a poor lost waymarker - i.e. me.

PippaG

Veteran
We ended up with a number of TECs on the ride. The original group of TECs went down a previously used route that wasn't on this ride and so ended up ahead of the main peloton. TimO was then appointed new TEC at Stanford-le-Hope and as he describes above, realised that those he had told to wait for the original TECs had to go back and be retrieved. I was then appointed TEC at Pitsea - praying for no more p*nct*r*s as I don't have a clue. But I did have User10571's number and was prepared to use it - this gave me an edge as I had the feeling we had a distinct lack of people with the right phone numbers so the back could talk to the front.

handbag

arallsopp said:
  • 0711: Exit B1464 at Thundersley (on route?), immediately taking RDBT off route to A130 Northbound.
  • 0718: Catch front rider, now on A1245. Stop. Discuss.
  • 0719: Agree to loop back on the roundabout under the A127.
  • 0725: Puncture within sight of the roundabout of 0711.
  • 0735: rolling again.
  • 0736: rejoin route.
  • 0740: stop to fix camera (2 mins)
  • 0745: meet TECs.

That's right Andy, I remember I had 3 riders ahead of me, and we've approached to the roundabout of 0711, they went out at the first exit, I just followed without thinking ( as usual!!! :bicycle:), then the road looked a bit...eh... big..... and I quickly realised there wasn't a wayfinder at the roundabout, we went on, finally group stopped at the next roundabout 0719 thanks to few experienced riders- otherwise I might have just kept on till it's too late......, so we turned back, a pu*c#ure, phone User10571, rolling again... the rest is the history...

despite having first couple of hours full of water, countless flats, an accident of Andrew (glad to hear you're OK) - I did have great time yet again. it was also to celebrate my first anniversary of FNRttC. thank you very much Simon and User10571 for leading, wayfinders, TECs, and everybody else... next time then!

rb58

Enigma
redfalo said:
Oops! I never noticed that I commited such an nasty offence :bicycle: . Apologies to the people of Southend!

The group I was in rode that way on the return journey (I remembered it from when I was a kid) and we didn't realise it was 'no cycling' until we were on the path. It was very quiet though ..... apart from the policeman walking in the opposite direction. A quick dismount, an exchange of 'good morning' and a short walk followed :smile::blush:xx(

This was my first FNRttC and as I said above, I thoroughly enjoyed it. For those of you involved in the organisation, please don't think you let anyone down. You didn't. It was good fun, I met some like minded people, and am really looking forward to the next one.

Cheers

Ross

ChrisBailey

dellzeqq said:
I should have had a hands-free kit for the phone long ago

From where I was with Clive as waylaid waymarkers, all we really needed was either (or both) Adrian's and User10571's phone number.

If you han't been unfortunately (and generously) sidetracked a couple of calls would have sorted it out.

dellzeqq said:
but it would be dumb not to acknowledge that it's the system that has made the ride a success, and dumber not to improve it.

I don't think anything is broken and I don't think much (if anything) needs fixing.

On another point, my plan at Southend was to go straight to the station, given the time and the fact we were next to Stanford le Hope station it seemed sensible to adopt Plan B and head back there and then, I hope nobody thought I was giving up on the ride. Clive said he would inform User10571 (thanks again Clive) so no one started thinking there was a man overboard.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm inclined to agree with Chris- if a few more people had a few more people's phone numbers, would have made life somewhat simpler the other night. It was (by any stretch of the imagination) exceptional circumstances, so the errors/omissions/oversights that were made are entirely understandable. We can't prepare for everything, though we try.....

That said, one suggestion might be that a few trusted people have route details- on paper, GPS tracks, I'd go for both- (likely variations included) so if we end up with a two-part peloton again, they'll know which way to lead their respective flocks. And aforementioned phone numbers. So ad-hoc & appointed ride leaders, TECs and wayfinders may contact and be contacted.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I was cycling a few meters behind the main group when the crash happend. As far as I remember the commando was not "easy" but "stopping". I recollect that even before the bikes acutally crashed I was a little bit surprised how fast the petelon was slowing down. It was almost like in an emergency, when you really have to come to a stand as fast as possible.

Probably somebody accidentaly applied this brakes a little bit too forcefully. Since the road was absolutely free of cars three or four riders were cycling side by side. This made it impossible to pass the riders in front. I think what made matters worse was that the tarmac still was a little bit wet. Some backwheels jammed and the bikes skidded slightly. I think three riders touched each other and finally crashed.

I think TimO is right: Such things are cannot completely be prevented from happeing on a group ride. However, the big irony, from my point of view, is that this particular accident probably would never have happend with some car traffic on the road. I guess we got lulled by the quiet and broad road with a perfect surface and absolutely no car traffic. Everyone was a little bit too relaxed, feeling too safe so there were too many bikes riding next to each other.

What might help to mitigate the risk of crashes like this: Having only two riders cycling side by side in group, not three or four. Of course, more saftey distance towards the bikes in front would also help.

Regarding the puncture mess, I share Helens view. Punctures do happen, but so many (@ Helen: :biggrin:) really is incredible. I would suspect that at least some are due to poor tyres. I ususally use the Marathon and have around one puncture per 3000 miles. Similar experiences with Conti tyres for road bikes. Maybe it would be an idea to survey the guys who had punctures which tyres they were using to see if there is some correlation.

Cheers
Olaf

PippaG

Veteran
redfalo said:
Regarding the puncture mess, I share Helens view. Punctures do happen, but so many (@ Helen: :biggrin:) really is incredible. I would suspect that at least some are due to poor tyres. I ususally use the Marathon and have around one puncture per 3000 miles. Similar experiences with Conti tyres for road bikes. Maybe it would be an idea to survey the guys who had punctures which tyres they were using to see if there is some correlation.

Mebbe.

Kevin with the 5 in short succession had contis.

I was on spesh armadillo elites. As was User10571. I meticulously checked them before coming out and removed any and all bits of grit etc.

I think it was more to do with it being wet TBH.

So a lot of people have already said why this ride was different from others

My ride started at 10.20. I was very very tired after a long week at work and a 1 month old baby with frequent eating habts and in two minds about doing the ride.

Well I was just on time to meet with Ian and Andy at the DT : ) We set off and about 3 mins in and I recall Andy saying that he had a feeling about this ride. (Now was that my tired memory making this up Andy or a premonition) then about 3 mins later the heavens opened and it chucked it down. Que me and Ian getting our soft shells out and Andy laughing hysterically by the road side.

At least it was not as cold as November, if it was I may have turned back but I didn’t plus I learnt from that ride to have at least another pair of gloves and hat with me.

The rain didn’t stop and we were all soaked through when we made it to Hyde Park Corner. We were a little late and I couldn’t see many riders from the road until we got closer and everyone was nestled under the arch. Much of the ride has already been said. Martin’s so close but so far, the rain, the bloody rain and then the accident (I am glad you are ok Andy), Ian’s spoke just pinging out and the final run in to Southend.

I was so tired all the way through the ride but not in the legs, just in the head. At times I was struggling to have a conversation (Davey you helped me stay awake on the run in to J31 when I was trying to remember gear ratios and you nearly went down a cravas in the road) Given I had 2 punctures on the November ride and I was not on my GP 4 Seasons I was petrified of having a repeat. Thankfully I didn’t Spesh All Conditions are both comfy and hardy : )

It was great to meet a lot of people I had not met before and despite the ride having some challenging times its still went well for most.

The Southend ride was the first night ride I did about a year and half or so ago. The sense of satisfaction and achievement and good company was the same as my first ride which is why I will be coming back for more and maybe next time I will ride back !

Clive

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I swear by my Marathons; last year I didn't have a puncture until July (had done about 4000 miles); this year I've had six punctures (including one in the rear wheel which almost never happens) and that was in 2,500 miles. But it's been wet and rainy. James got his new bike with Continental Touring Plus (equivalent to Marathon Plus) and got a puncture after 70 miles but has had none since. Sometimes it's just bad luck, but I think five punctures in one evening is exeptionally bad luck!

TimO

Guru
StuAff said:
That said, one suggestion might be that a few trusted people have route details- on paper, GPS tracks...

Many people in the ride do have GPS routes, and indeed I had the route from the previous Southend ride last year. This isn't always totally up-to-date, and indeed the route used this year was slightly different around Tilbury.

FNRttC_SouthendRoute_differences_40percent.png
Click for bigness
(Light green last year, dark blue this year).

Having said that, I could have got around most of the route, just that little bit would have been different (and ever so slightly longer than the one used).

I'm sure other people had similar routes on their devices.

As regards the No Cycling bit along Southend front, that was a bit tongue in cheek. I've cycled that route more than the totally legal route, but going that way does avoid the horrible steep, but short hill. Having sad that, later in the day you probably do get more (some!) people walking along there, and cycling on it is possibly less sensible.

The only change that I thought may be necessary was regarding splitting the ride, so that waypointers aren't left stranded. It could be very difficult, since by it's nature a split occurs with no warning. When I realised that we had people left behind us, that we needed to sweep up, I couldn't remember how many, or even where we had left them. One approach is to either make someone at the back hammer forward to sweep them up, but this does require (i) someone who is fast & (ii) not too big a gap to the "new" tail-end.

There are also other possible problems that haven't occurred to us yet, and which may need to be dealt with. A certain amount of creative thinking is always going to be needed on the road, since some of these events are going to be unexpected by their nature. That seemed to get us through this time, and Tom (iirc) deserves special thanks for cycling back along the route and collecting those who were left hanging.

On the other hand everyone is on the ride for enjoyment, and I wouldn't want leaders, waypointers, and TECs to get bogged down with formal procedures for dealing with everything, training courses, accreditation etc ad nauseum. :becool:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
he did get home and sent me a very sweet text. I'll find out about the tyre.

I should have been a bit more clear at the beginning. I'm not too bothered about what happened after J31. I'm thinking over maps and satnavs, and there will be a round robin e-mail thingy, but I do know I can fix it. I'm concerned about the crash.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
PippaG said:
I think it was more to do with it being wet TBH.

That´s what some people suggested... but I cannot really believe this theory. How should wet conditions affect the probability of a puncture? Water does not make broken glass sharper, does it?

Top Bottom