FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 11th November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Stayed dry. Somewhat elongated ride tonight- I made it to the Waterfront at 8.50 (!).

Why for, the elongation? Do tell.

thom

____
I think a combination of factors slowed the ride's overall progress : a handful of deflations, a long half way stop ( an hour and a half maybe ) and the headwind.
To me it always seemed like we were making good progress and waymarking did not have too many really long waits. Certainly with dawn things got a little easier but the headwind was probably the major factor.
Given the rain forecast I think we did very well to have an essentially dry ride.

Thanks Simon for the organisation, smooth as always.
Thom.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks as always for the organisation Simon. That was an enjoyable ride. Warm, dry, I had time to chat to new people (immense kudos to Caroline for completing on that bike and in jeans!
thumbsup.png
). Other people will tell the story of the ride better than I.

The story of the return is another tale however. Claudine, Adrian, User I hold you primarily responsible for not pinning me down and forcing lager into me.

Davywalnuts was moaning about the hills before we'd got out of Whitstable. He moaned so much I managed to miss the turnoff for the road up to the A2 so instead we had a nice little run to Canterbury where we did pick up the very busy part of the A2. This added a few more hills, more moaning (or were we on to whining by now Davy?) Davy he then had a bad mechanical which he managed to fix and we eventually made it to the roundabout where the A2 joins the M2 so our road got a lot quieter and better behaved. We did up the pace quite a bit and made good time to Sittingbourne (I think) and Tesco. Suitably replenished we set off again. Davy became curious about my wellbeing ("You are going to blow up soon aren't you?"). We had a bit of a wander around Rochester (why can't Kent towns get their one way systems sorted? Rochester, Maidstone, Ashford, I've been lost in all of them!).

I was getting desperate for home by now and Davy was getting tired so we agreed to go our separate ways and I pushed on. (I'm always scared that pushing on will result in the kind of mechanical that allowed the pushed-on'd to pass you with smug grins). I had another tour of some godforsaken town, I think it was Northfleet before hitting the home straight at Dartford.

139 miles for me with a low average but a lot of fun. My plan of being home by noon changed into an achievable and achieved plan of being home by 3.30!!!
wave.gif

Edit: Just in case anyone took this too seriously, it isn't. Davy is always a joy to ride with. Davy, I just noticed the route I gave you goes through Woolwich, Thamesmead and Moss Side. I'm sorry. It was an accident.

P.S. I must be nearing the rank of Mouseketeer by now? Fleaketeer??

itsbruce

Lavender Bike Menace
Great ride, despite the delays. Many thanks to Simon for the organisation thereof. Good to see many familiar faces and learn names to some of the less familiar ones.

There is no coffee.

Many thanks, as always, to Simon

safely back in Brussels despite the best attempts of HS1

Lots of fun at the back with the TECs, thanks to you all: A special mention to TimO for finding the "window of opportunity" that meant I could have breakfast and catch my train and, of course, to the man with a personality even bigger than his calf muscles Davy S

U

User10571

http://www.flickr.co...627986297259/of the three high-vis gilets in this picture I prefer the one on the right. Any idea how I can get one?

That's Joff in his PBP Hi-Viz attire, is it not?

You know what you need to do, Mmmmartin.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What a lovely DRY ride. I almost feel I owe srw another pint of YELLOW beer just for the hell of it. Life this weekend moves straight from one splendid breakfast to the next. DZ is browning bacon and sausages in the kitchen and I swear I just heard the gentle fizz of prosecco amidst the sizzling...

BigGee

Thanks to Simon and all the other helpers for a great ride once again, my first Whitstable, though the haze on arrival probably did not do the place justice, so I guess I will just have to do another one to see it in its full glory.

I did not really seem to have the good legs last night, probably as I have not done any long runs since Harwich back in September, decorating and other domestic chores having jumped up the priority list for a little while. Anyway if I needed any incentive to get back out there, the new bike which has just arrived should provide that and hopefully I can give it a good airing on the Southend ride in december, which is near enough to home for me to cycle home again afterwards. I remain slightly in awe of those that manage to do that, I had wondered about trying it on this trip, but realised very early on that it was not going to happen. Anyway for me Southend should be a good place to start and we will see where it goes from there next year.

Thanks to all those that chipped in with the groupsave home, which made it a far more economical experience as well as providing a nice bit of company. looking forward to one more lap in december

Grahame

mmmmartin

Random geezer
thanks as always for a great experience, now I see why peeps say the Whitstable route is their favourite and I think I agree. Thanks to Simon for sorting out Piggys (no apostrophe) which was a good choice, and I personally have no objection to stopping there for 90 minutes. Two loos, lots of seats, warm and dry. What's not to like? Thanks also to the TECs, whose ministrations I fortunately didn't need but it is always nice to know they are there, so Respect to them.And of course thanks to Mr Davy Walnuts as All Up Man. He did such a good job that I am really pleased he is the final photograph in the calendar.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
What a lovely DRY ride. I almost feel I owe srw another pint of YELLOW beer just for the hell of it. Life this weekend moves straight from one splendid breakfast to the next. DZ is browning bacon and sausages in the kitchen and I swear I just heard the gentle fizz of prosecco amidst the sizzling...
absolutely. There's no finer condiment for browning sausages than prosecco, although one really should use the pink stuff.

Top Bottom