FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 17th June 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know what trains back to London would be like for a tandem? It does separate.

And for a sensible answer, the Victoria bound trains are the usual ones with bike spaces next to the semi-circular toilet. So if you're on first, you can easily get the tandem in 1 piece along the side. If however, there's a load of other cyclists trying to get on the same train as you, then you may have to separate.

Alternatively, cycle back to Faversham and pick up the HS1 to St Pancras, which will have loads of room.

I am interested in joining for my first ride of this nature...

I will read the registration page later...

Sorry but not read the whole thread yet (currently at work) but how do people get their bikes home, train back to London I presume?

But definitely interested.

Adrian

I will read the registration page later...

Sorry but not read the whole thread yet (currently at work) but how do people get their bikes home, train back to London I presume?

But definitely interested.

Adrian

Registration is key.

Some ride back, some get a train, some are left on the verges, some even venture further before returning. Best to read an older Whitstable thread to get a 'flavour'. (Preferably not one which mentions the word 'Adrian' & 'beer flavoured drinks' though. Adrians are the scourge of these rides. :smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mostly train. Some from Whitstable on standard trains (but see below), some from Canterbury (about six miles ride) on the HST. We've not had a problem getting people on the train, although the chap behind the ticket counter at Whitstable has been less than happy. Bear in mind that the departure times will be from about 8 o'clock to about 4 in the afternoon, although the last of us will probably have to be carried to the station in a litter.

There are two trains an hour from Whitstable to Victoria Station. You can change on to the HST at Faversham, but it costs an extra £3.20, and doesn't save you a lot of time unless you're heading for North London, or catching a train on from Kings Cross, Euston or St. Pancras. Standardsingle fares from Whitstable are expensive. Groupsave/Network Card it.

There's one HST an hour from Canterbury West to St. Pancras which is quick, but costs a lot of money. Groupsave or Network Card a neccessity.

There's two 'standard' trains to Victoria from Canterbury East every hour. They also stop at Selling (about seven miles ride) and Faversham (about eight miles ride). Again, these tickets are expensive.

Some folk do ride home, though.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Alternatively, cycle back to Faversham and pick up the HS1 to St Pancras, which will have loads of room.

I sense the makings of a Plan. It involves leaving a car at Euston, so beers may not be drunk in quite the quantities they were last weekend.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it is possible to get from Whitstable to Lewes (or Brighton) via Ramsgate and Ashford for about the cost of a single from Whitstable to Victoria. However the journey takes forever.

A clever plan is forming. Does this wonderful camping machine take a lot of bikes? And how far are you from Newhaven?

When I caught the next one it crawled along and stopped everywhere, including places that aren't anywhere.
:smile:

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects

Finally braved the epic threads? Well done!

You forgot to list the "bring a tent and cycle camp home" option. Poor form, C-, could do better.

GM

Legendary Member
I sense the makings of a Plan. It involves leaving a car at Euston, so beers may not be drunk in quite the quantities they were last weekend.

What I've done before is drive down to Palace St, Victoria. You can park there on a single yellow line or parking meter free
after 6.30pm and free all day Saturday. There's a couple of nice pubs as well if you want a little pre-ride refresher.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
What I've done before is drive down to Palace St, Victoria. You can park there on a single yellow line or parking meter free
after 6.30pm and free all day Saturday. There's a couple of nice pubs as well if you want a little pre-ride refresher.
Blimey! That is a very useful bit of information - vans will be coming up to the Victoria area laden with bikes for the Martlets ride, and may not be able to get in to or hang around the multi-storey. Research needed...........

you're on the list

Top Bottom