FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 9th September 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mistral

Guru
Anyone from the York locality -
As I arrive in York at about 3:30, I've planned a wee 30m circular for the afternoon out to a Cawood hostelry I know, and back. The outward route uses the B1222. This looks a fast road - is it a reasonably safe one?

Charlie
I'll be in York at 1730 so need to fill some time too. I could meet you in Cawood around 7pm if that works?

Anyone else arriving early?

Rang Hull Trains today and there shouldn't be any problem taking the bikes (can't book the bikes on anyway, you just turn up and hope for the best - but at that time it'll likely be just us and the driver, so not an issue ... :thumbsup: ):

Hull 20:35 - York 21:43 (15 mins. wait Selby) - 1h 08m - £18.50
Hull 20:56 - York 22:54 (50 mins. wait Doncaster) - 1h 58m - £25.00
Hull 21:33 - York 23:44 (25 mins. wait Leeds) - 2h 11m - £18.50

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

I'm aiming for the last direct train from Hull at 19:15, getting into York at 20:23.
That way I don't have to carry the trike between platforms.

I'm also hopeing the I can get the trike onto the train unbagged.
But I'll have to see exactly which type of carraige the train has before I find out if that possible.

See you there ........ :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Okay, well I'm erring towards the 20:35 - (I get more sleep than I would with the 19:15, and I pay less than I would with the 20:56 :thumbsup: [and 23:44 would be cutting it a bit fine!]).

Is there anywhere near the Minster to "hang out" whilst we wait for the midnight hour?

Cheers,

CrinklyUncle

Hi, I've got a tip to save a bit of money on the return train ticket between Hull and York. A single ticket costs £18.50 but you can get two day return tickets for £28.90, which works out at £14.45 each, you need to ask for a Northern Duo ticket.

CrinklyAuntie and I are really looking forward to this ride and meeting you all.

Cheers

Mark

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Okay, well I'm erring towards the 20:35 - (I get more sleep than I would with the 19:15, and I pay less than I would with the 20:56 :thumbsup: [and 23:44 would be cutting it a bit fine!]).

Is there anywhere near the Minster to "hang out" whilst we wait for the midnight hour?

Cheers,

Yes this was my thinking as well - also hopefully less last minute drunks, looking at the funny boys in 'spandex on bikes'

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've got a tip to save a bit of money on the return train ticket between Hull and York. A single ticket costs £18.50 but you can get two day return tickets for £28.90, which works out at £14.45 each, you need to ask for a Northern Duo ticket.
If you are travelling out on the last train, the conductor may not sell you one of these tickets if it's not possible to complete your return journey :thumbsup: Most will be ok, but there's always one & remember you might have an issue if there's more than two bikes, although the train should be fairly quiet so more than 2 should be ok :wacko:

Mr Bunbury

Cheers,

There are lots of pubs in York! Just about anywhere within the walls counts as 'near the minster' - York isn't a big place.

Last year, some of us hung out in the Rook & Gaskill which is about a mile from the Minster and does a wide range of good beers and some food. It's also next to a chippie and a pizza place, so there's plenty of grub to be had. It's next to York Cycleworks, which has a good rail out the front to lock bikes. If I turn up there, can I expect company?

CharlieB The B1222 is a fine road, you shouldn't have any problems with traffic.

LucyBP

As mentioned before I'm going to be in York for work that day so will be hanging around aimlessly after about 6pm... if people go for food and/or coffee anywhere I would definitely join.

Mr Bunbury

I normally leave it to Jack to buy the drinks.

See you (and anyone else who fancies) in the Rook & Gaskill from 10, or whatever time they fancy turning up. Look for the freakish lycra-clad folk.

Mr Bunbury

Northerners must eat their fast food at later hours than Welshmen in that case, even the poncy genteel northerners in York. I'm sure I've had plenty of fast food past that hour. If you want slightly less fat, the pasty shop on Coney Street will probably serve you its last pasties as well when you come from the station.

[stupid sticky keys, grrr]

Shaun

Founder
Train ticket booked.
Friday afternoon off booked.

Last year, some of us hung out in the Rook & Gaskill

That's not far from the Peel Street car park I've used before - under the arch, across the road, and a bit further along on the right.

Okay, I'll head there when I get to York and join whoever else might be there. :thumbsup:

Unless it's a clever ruse to get me to turn up at the local rock-hard bikers pub, all dressed-up in my lycra? :laugh:

See you all there. :tongue:

Cheers,

Top Bottom