From Hybrid to Road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

62958ED1-4C5C-4C35-8360-0B593C18DE43.jpeg
Happy Sunday to all.
When I bought my hybrid I was too excited and didn’t do proper research backed up by bad advice from LBS even after telling them I was going to do over 90% roads. Thinner tyres and suspension corrected forks helped but still not happy, I was pining for a road bike. So I managed to pick up this for £30!
I have spent roughly £150 on new cassette, chain,front ring,tyres tubes, new cables outer and inner all round, plus labour charge from local mechanic. The two udjusters on bottom tube have been by bypassed because the screws were rusted in. The only small issue I have i can’t use 7,8 and 9 on bottom front ring because chain touches front derailleur. My rides now are approaching these gears so will move to top ring. It’s an amazing ride and I even did some of the work myself. I’m gradually getting the fit right by means of shorter stem plus riser meaning initial shoulder and neck pain is improving.
It’s so much easier to ride and I’m over the moon. Does anybody have any suggestions for front derailuer issue and would it be worthwhile changing the cassette? It’s a 12-26
Cheers All
Simon.

Nice bike for the money :becool:You probably don't want to be in the small ring/ small cassette cog anyway and a good mechanic will sort it out so you can use the 7 and 8. It sounds like you've already had a mechanic at it, take it back to them.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Well he did say I shouldn’t be using 8 and 9 and told me issue, but with my condition I struggle with too much information and am too embarrassed to ask again lol. Also the wheels are different the back rim being in particularly bad nick. Does anybody recognise that front wheel? Nothing on internet, I’d like to get a closest match for a new back one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
105 brakes should fit. Trouble is with budget bikes by the time you've replaced all the bits that need replacing you might as well have got a better bike in better state to start with. Gets a bit like Trigger's broom! Difficult to know when to stop. Sorry, don't want to spoil your fun.
You should be able to adjust out the chain rub in the FD with the limit screws.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

105 brakes should fit. Trouble is with budget bikes by the time you've replaced all the bits that need replacing you might as well have got a better bike in better state to start with. Difficult to know when to stop. Sorry, don't want to spoil your fun.
You should be able to adjust out the chain rub in the FD with the limit screws.

I knew I would get a post like like this! Don’t worry nothing will spoil my fun, I have the bug and like I said the ride is amazing.

pjd57

Veteran
Hope you enjoy it.

I wanted to try going back to drops after a very long time.
Hybrid was fine but......

Didn't want an out and out road bike since I enjoy the canal and river paths too much.

CX ticked all the boxes, so I bought an expensive new one.

Regrets ,maybe not spending a bit more.
Clocked up a few thousand miles in a year on the CX and can't fault it though.

The hybrid still gets a few outings to the shops or in really bad weather.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Thanks for your encouragement I am really enjoying it and will be out tomorrow for pre work ride. I’m trying to up to 60 or 70 miles a week before winter. I can see the miles you on strava so well done to you. I’ve got plans for the Hybrid because I want to use all the quality parts on it rather than sell it.
Onwards and upwards.

Ascent

I moved from a hybrid to a road bike earlier this year. When I bought the hybrid i was living in Scotland and did some light offroading but mainly used it to commute. Ever since moving down to Cambridgeshire I've only ridden on road so it made sense and I've loved it.

I don't know if it just the fact that my new bike is 15 years newer or just the fact it's a different bike but it feels like gliding when i ride it compared to the old one.

There's a shop that does up old bikes and sells them on near me so I let them have the old one for free, it was a little worn down and it got it out of the way.

Top Bottom