Front Bike Camera advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

Just picked up the Cycliq fly6 rear camera, and now looking for a front camera.

Aim is twofold -

#1: Record and report the lunatics that regularly try to kill me

#2: Occassional cycling videos - some of fun parts of the ride, some of lunatics that are trying to kill me!

So of course, clarity is important to some extent, but just as important is battery life. I'd ideally use them for rides up to around 8 hours, but any other solution ideas would be greatly appreciated.

sight-pin

Veteran

If you want long battery life there isn't much to touch the fly 12.
The sound on it is very poor, and the interaction with the app is a little clunky - but its ok once you get your head around it.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

If you want long battery life there isn't much to touch the fly 12.
The sound on it is very poor, and the interaction with the app is a little clunky - but its ok once you get your head around it.

I had a look at that, but it seems to get such bad reviews that it has put me off a bit. Even at £120 that's a lot of money for something unless it's going to be nigh on perfect!

It sounds like most of the problems are related to three things.
1. mount (don't care, can fix / get different one)
2. App, but you say that that is actually not bad once you figure it out?
3. Connectivity... lots of people just giving up and never connecting!

Is it just people being a bit dim, or is it really impossible to connect to certain devices? I'm pretty old school with an Iphone 6!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After initially teething problems my Fly12 is fine. I don't need to get video off very often so I can cope with it sometimes being a bit of hassle, so it just does it job recording. Worse case, I will just take the card out and read it on my PC.

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

Looks to me like the Fly 12 is not much different to the newer model either, so perhaps I'll invest :smile:

I don't actually use the app much beyond the initial set up. If I want to review footage I pop the sd card into a reader - the vids are split into 5 minute segments so pretty easy to find stuff.
The Fly 12 is clunky - the big advantage is the battery life for £120 its a steal. Bear in mind the fly12 is ready to go with mounting bracket and sd card.
I am sure if research the garmin virb - you would find little niggles as well - GO-PRO probably the best but 90 minute battery life makes it a non starter for me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had a look at that, but it seems to get such bad reviews that it has put me off a bit. Even at £120 that's a lot of money for something unless it's going to be nigh on perfect!

It sounds like most of the problems are related to three things.
1. mount (don't care, can fix / get different one)
2. App, but you say that that is actually not bad once you figure it out?
3. Connectivity... lots of people just giving up and never connecting!

Is it just people being a bit dim, or is it really impossible to connect to certain devices? I'm pretty old school with an Iphone 6!

I've had a Fly12 since Sept 2015 and it's been great. I haven't experienced any of the problems that others have had.

A fault did appear a few months ago, whereby a thin vertical line appeared in the frame of all videos. Cycliq asked me to ship it back for investigation and, despite it being long out of warranty, sent me a brand new one by return. That's excellent customer care and something you should take account of when deciding where to spend your money.

Another Fly12 user here, love it, and no problems whatsoever. Its very much fit and forget, all seems to work perfectly :-)

Top Bottom