Cycliq Fly Cameras Help Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me I think this is the best camera mainly because I do longer rides and nothing else comes close to battery life. However its no panacea so I thought we could start a help thread.

I have the original fly 12 - It comes with something called incident capture protection. So today cycling along and great big lorry was trying look at the avarage speed on my garmin - he was that close - Right you b**** I thought I pressed the incident capture or wifi button - the device then powered off - so swiched it back on confident I had captured the footage - got home no such luck it had overwritten it !

Am I doing something wrong ? - I have logged a ticket with cycliq, but they rarley respond these days - any advice \ knowledge ?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I gave up on my fly 12, it shuts down when it feels like, the user interface is terrible, touch a button to turn the light on or off actually shuts the camera down, and then you start it up again but find it's lost all the video it should have been recording. Seems unfit for purpose.

Slick

Guru
For me I think this is the best camera mainly because I do longer rides and nothing else comes close to battery life. However its no panacea so I thought we could start a help thread.

I have the original fly 12 - It comes with something called incident capture protection. So today cycling along and great big lorry was trying look at the avarage speed on my garmin - he was that close - Right you b**** I thought I pressed the incident capture or wifi button - the device then powered off - so swiched it back on confident I had captured the footage - got home no such luck it had overwritten it !

Am I doing something wrong ? - I have logged a ticket with cycliq, but they rarley respond these days - any advice \ knowledge ?
I've obviously misunderstood, as I thought the incident capture protection was automatic and only came on when the bike went over beyond 55 degrees or some such.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I've obviously misunderstood, as I thought the incident capture protection was automatic and only came on when the bike went over beyond 55 degrees or some such.
The manual does say, if you push the WiFi button, the previous 5 minutes will be protected from overwriting. The angle tilt should do something similar too.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
There is incident protection which is captured by the camera being tilted.
Then there is incident protection *Capture* - which is triggered by pressing the wifi button and is supposed to lock that segment and prevent it being overwritten. This isn't working for me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Firstly, what size card are you using? I've never used this incident capture feature (other than curiosity) because my commute is only 30-40 minutes each way and I get 3.5 hours of recording on my 32GB card. It would take 3 days of commuting for a file to be overwritten and I'll have already copied it off if it was something I wanted to review or report. If you're only using an 8GB card then I could see why you might use the function.

Have you tried testing the function at home, off the bike?

Are you sure you pressed the correct button? (Mine is mounted upside down under the bars so I have to remember that the buttons are now the wrong way round.) If you pressed the correct button, how long did you press it for? It really only needs the briefest press, like you were taking a picture. Hold it any longer and it will go into wi-fi mode and cease recording.

My guess is that you inadvertently entered wi-fi mode, then when you switched back on, it resumed recording and your journey was long enough to overwrite the target file.

As a final, general observation: I have found Cycliq support to be very good, with quick response times and problems sorted. For me the Fly12 has been a brilliant bike camera.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Firstly, what size card are you using? I've never used this incident capture feature (other than curiosity) because my commute is only 30-40 minutes each way and I get 3.5 hours of recording on my 32GB card. It would take 3 days of commuting for a file to be overwritten and I'll have already copied it off if it was something I wanted to review or report. If you're only using an 8GB card then I could see why you might use the function.

Have you tried testing the function at home, off the bike?

Are you sure you pressed the correct button? (Mine is mounted upside down under the bars so I have to remember that the buttons are now the wrong way round.) If you pressed the correct button, how long did you press it for? It really only needs the briefest press, like you were taking a picture. Hold it any longer and it will go into wi-fi mode and cease recording.

My guess is that you inadvertently entered wi-fi mode, then when you switched back on, it resumed recording and your journey was long enough to overwrite the target file.

As a final, general observation: I have found Cycliq support to be very good, with quick response times and problems sorted. For me the Fly12 has been a brilliant bike camera.

I haven't altered the card still using the original.
I wasn't aware of the brief press/long press - There is a good chance thats what I did.

Yes there was a delay replying - but they have got back to me know. (with questions not answers)

I am keen to see cycliq thrive as they are the only dedicated cycle camera company- and the battery life is worth the purchase price on its own. I tend to do longer rides so need the bigger battery life.

sight-pin

Veteran
Glad to say had no problems with either of my Fly 12 or the Fly 6, I just use the SD cards supplied, however i've not tried the "Incident capture" feature yet.
I did change the F12 many light options to just a few, and that's about it.
Cycliq response has been very good with any queries i've had to be fair.
I found an update for the Fly 12 but as yet not attempted it, Anyone have this latest update yet? https://support.cycliq.com/support/solutions/articles/13000029854-fly12-current-firmware

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Those who think Cycliq support good ....have you tried recently ?

I logged a called saturday - didn't receive a response until yesterday. In the response they asked me to fomat the card and try again (I had already informed them that the card was freshly formatted)

@glasgowcyclist - I think you may have provided the solution based on some testing I did last night. A bit of a concern once more that cycliq aren't aware of your solution.

I really hope cycliq aren't going down the pan, however recent incidents and the general reaction to fly CE models makes me wonder ...

glasgowcyclist

@glasgowcyclist - I think you may have provided the solution based on some testing I did last night. A bit of a concern once more that cycliq aren't aware of your solution.

TBF, on p5 of the manual it does make a distinction between pressing the Wi-Fi button briefly and a 1-second press:

WiFi on/off
To power on WiFi:
Press the WiFi button for 1 second and release.

Other uses of the WiFi button
Capture/Incident protection:
If you witness an event that you want to capture and retain
when riding, simply press the WiFi button briefly. This will
lock the current and previous file and prevent overwriting.​

Those who think Cycliq support good ....have you tried recently ?

Sure have, and the fault couldn't be repaired so they're sending me a replacement Fly12 free of charge. Mine was two and a half years old (so well outside the 12 month warranty) but they offered me that right away.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
TBF, on p5 of the manual it does make a distinction between pressing the Wi-Fi button briefly and a 1-second press:

WiFi on/off
To power on WiFi:
Press the WiFi button for 1 second and release.

Other uses of the WiFi button
Capture/Incident protection:
If you witness an event that you want to capture and retain
when riding, simply press the WiFi button briefly. This will
lock the current and previous file and prevent overwriting.​

Sure have, and the fault couldn't be repaired so they're sending me a replacement Fly12 free of charge. Mine was two and a half years old (so well outside the 12 month warranty) but they offered me that right away.

OK - Maybe I am being overly harsh (Although the support guy doesn't seem aware of the above)

Like I say I want them to do well - the go-pro thing doesn't cut it for me with its 90 minute battery

glasgowcyclist

My brand new Fly12 has arrived and I'm now in a little dilemma: do I keep it or do I sell it on to help pay for upgrading to the new Fly12CE? Hmmm, decisions..

If there's any interest on here, I'll stick it on the For Sale & Auction forum.

Top Bottom