Cycliq Fly Cameras Help Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
My brand new Fly12 has arrived and I'm now in a little dilemma: do I keep it or do I sell it on to help pay for upgrading to the new Fly12CE? Hmmm, decisions..

If there's any interest on here, I'll stick it on the For Sale & Auction forum.

Isn't the CE supposed to be more problematic than the fly12 ?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My brand new Fly12 has arrived and I'm now in a little dilemma: do I keep it or do I sell it on to help pay for upgrading to the new Fly12CE? Hmmm, decisions..

If there's any interest on here, I'll stick it on the For Sale & Auction forum.

Go on then - give me a clue as to what price you are looking for.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Go on then - give me a clue as to what price you are looking for.

I've had a think about it and comparing the features of both I've decided to stick with what I've got. Sorry!

If I switched to the CE I'd lose:
  • 2 hours of battery life,
  • the Wi-Fi feature that lets me grab video straight from the device to my iPod,
  • a rock steady mount for one which appears to have a bit of wobble in it. (That might be why they introduced the 6-axis image stabilisation.)

I'd gain:
  • smaller,
  • lighter.

All for an extra £150 or so, assuming I got £105 for the old Fly12, so I don't think it's worth it for me.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I've had a think about it and comparing the features of both I've decided to stick with what I've got. Sorry!

If I switched to the CE I'd lose:
  • 2 hours of battery life,
  • the Wi-Fi feature that lets me grab video straight from the device to my iPod,
  • a rock steady mount for one which appears to have a bit of wobble in it. (That might be why they introduced the 6-axis image stabilisation.)

I'd gain:
  • smaller,
  • lighter.

All for an extra £150 or so, assuming I got £105 for the old Fly12, so I don't think it's worth it for me.

No worries.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Incident capture protection issue resolved - it was indded as @glasgowcyclist suggested - you only need a brief press.

However I have a new problem - when looking at the footage, via a usb cable - this seems to lock the fly12 and the only way to get it going is a complete hard reset - pin in the hole job. ?

any thoughts @glasgowcyclist !!!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So I finally broke down an order one - yesterday was the maiden ride. Suffice to say I am not impressed. It only recorded part of the ride. It was fully setup for the light modes I wanted, but for some reason would only give me full constant light or off. When I got home I tried viewing a video - it crashed whilst downloading to my phone, then would not turn on. A hard reset seemed to fix it, but it then started jumping back into the wrong light modes again.

Finally after a full charge and another few resets it seems to be behaving, although I have turned off all the incident protection and auto turn off modes.

Any more problems and it is going back.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
So I finally broke down an order one - yesterday was the maiden ride. Suffice to say I am not impressed. It only recorded part of the ride. It was fully setup for the light modes I wanted, but for some reason would only give me full constant light or off. When I got home I tried viewing a video - it crashed whilst downloading to my phone, then would not turn on. A hard reset seemed to fix it, but it then started jumping back into the wrong light modes again.

Finally after a full charge and another few resets it seems to be behaving, although I have turned off all the incident protection and auto turn off modes.

Any more problems and it is going back.

There is a learning curve - My first went back, and I looked for alternatives, but if you need the longer battery life there isn't else. One thing to get used to is the pause or delay when pressing the buttons or using the app.

sight-pin

Veteran
Before i bought mine i used a Kitvision Rush 100W camera and just connected it to the laptop via cable to view or delete rides even though it had wifi etc, Basically that's how i use the Fly 6 & 12, can't say i've had any problems with either apart from a slight issue with the strap for the 6, but that's probably my fault for pulling it too tight anyway. The Rush didn't have the loop facility and started to loose it's brightness in the end but it does have the option to view live via my iphone or laptop which you can't do with the Fly's. Just thought i'd add that:smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Copying the file to my phone is glacial - I think I will use my PC instead - although it would be nice to be able to overlay my Strava data on the videos via the PC. I will see if I can use the Garmin software, although it is nice how the Fly does the time sync to ensure that the image and data matches.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Just been looking at the 12 hour battery life with Reveal cameras, but it seems they're body cameras for the police etc, can't find any reference other than that.
Probably be expensive anyway. https://www.revealmedia.co.uk/products/d-series

Don't forget you action cam generally doesn't need massive battery life - if you just want a quick video all the action cams work - the selling points for these cameras seems to be video quality 4k , stabilisation etc.
For all its faults the fly range is aimed at cyclists - with its auto looping, and 8-10 hours battery life nothing else compares - its a bit rough around the edges - but at present thats all there is - Go-pro are shifting loads with a 90 minute battery life, so unlikely they will target long battery life as a selling point. Its a compromise - hopefully cycliq can refine things in due course - although I wouldn't be surprised if they dissappeared from the scene completely

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Last couple of rides - Ive been testing the fly12 and is resistance to snot - pleased to say its passed with flying (green) colours !

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
These threads might help. They're from an Australian cycling forum, and may contain information on the Fly cameras that you could use:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=96477#p1425299

For the 2nd thread, I'm just linking to the last post in it, as it's a long thread:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&hilit=fly6&start=5075#p1442083

Unfortunately, you can't search this forum without being logged in, but a Google search using the following text shows plenty of results:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Incident capture protection issue resolved - it was indded as @glasgowcyclist suggested - you only need a brief press.

However I have a new problem - when looking at the footage, via a usb cable - this seems to lock the fly12 and the only way to get it going is a complete hard reset - pin in the hole job. ?

any thoughts @glasgowcyclist !!!

Glad you got the incident capture cleared up.

As for this new problem, I've only ever viewed the files by removing the sd card and putting it in my PC so I don't know if what you're experiencing is standard. I've only used the usb cable supplied to charge it.

Top Bottom