Front Deraileur - Giant Defy 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

My Defy 2 went into the LBS today for its initial free service.. After a couple of rides from new, shifting from the small ring to the large one has been a problem. Initially I thought it was being a newbie rider, not spinning enough/to much chain tension or crossing gears. I took it back to the shop and whilst on the bike stand they said it was working correctly. Ok, I thought, newbie was the problem. But since then I have had a go on a couple of other bikes with using the same Tiagra as my Defy and they work way better, click the brake lever and the chain jumps up to the large ring no probs...

So, when it went in to the LBS today, I told them this, no probs they said...when I collected, they said the prob was a stretched cable. Got home and no bloody difference...

Would any of you guys understand what my problem is, I have to physically hold the brake lever across, so that it feels like its straining to get the chain to move up..yet on the bike stand all is supposedly how it should be. I have searched google, they tell how to set up, but theres something not quite right about mine...

Cheers for reading this long post.

Mark_Robson

Either the cable is too slack or the limit screw on the front mech needs adjusting a touch. Both are very easy to do and your LBS should be more than capable of correctly adjusting either.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Thanks Mark,

I thought the LBS would have sorted it out for me ok...but...( wel it wont be going back there again for any work on the bike)

Would I be right in thinking the adjustment screw ( is that the High one) needs to be adjusted to let the cage move a tad more over onto the big ring?

Thanks

I am a Noobie...

Mark_Robson

koro said:
Thanks,

Will go give it a tweak, I had read the link you kindly put up before, I was just a little paranoid that the lbs said all was good. On the bike stand I kinda looked stupid, but when riding it "wern`t right.."

Cheers
When your trying to go up a chain ring are you doing it under load? If that's the case then you may get problems shifting.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Mark_Robson said:
When your trying to go up a chain ring are you doing it under load? If that's the case then you may get problems shifting.

Thanks Mark...I thought that may have been my problem before so always took it easy changing up.

But thanks to you it`s now sorted, just half a turn on the High screw limit and now it changes effortless...I am mighty peeved with lbs, but so gratefull of finding these forums. With the help of you guys you have been no end of help.

Just a little half turn of a screw, shhh

Cheers

OP
OP
koro

koro

Mark_Robson said:
I'm pleased that you got it sorted. :smile:
Oh and bin the LBS and learn to do your maintenance yourself. :biggrin:

Now that is a real good piece of advice ;)

gwhite

Über Member
koro said:
Thanks Mark...I thought that may have been my problem before so always took it easy changing up.

But thanks to you it`s now sorted, just half a turn on the High screw limit and now it changes effortless...I am mighty peeved with lbs, but so gratefull of finding these forums. With the help of you guys you have been no end of help.

Just a little half turn of a screw, shhh

Cheers

When the "H" adjustment is done the workshop the bike is on a workstand and there is no tension on the chain. When riding, the upper length of the chain is under tension and this can affect the adjustment. This adjustment should be checked by the mechanic riding the bike after he has made the adjustment.

Top Bottom