Front derailleur

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Johnno260, 6 Jun 2019.

1. Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

On my way in this morning the chain hopped off the front crank, now I can’t get it to shift to the large crank.

How do I adjust, sorry for the probably silly question but I leave gear adjustment to the pros usually.

Edit: when I lean the bike over towards the side with the gears it’s will change it, if that info helps.

Attached Files:

2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Hard to tell from that angle but it may have thrown the front mech out of alignment.

3. OP
    OP
    Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

Let me get a top down view, I fixing a puncture at the moment, thanks broken glass!

It's a derailleur that has a mount on the frame, would be mean it's hard to throw out of alignment?

4. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Yes it does look like it could be out of alignment but might be the camera angle. It should be parallel to the chain wheel when viewed from above but that might not be the problem, more likely due cable tension.
    Here's a video to show how to set it up from scratch.

View: https://youtu.be/tfBiXgf8JxI

Johnno260 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

Do these help? I will check the video out as well thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Sorry didn't see it was a braze on type so the alignment would be fixed. You can only adjust the height. Follow the video and you should have things working correctly.

7. OP
    OP
    Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

thanks I will give it a go in my lunch, I didn't want to attempt anything until I had given you guys all the facts.

Cycleops likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

Also I learnt the correct term for the mount!

I really should do one of the basic maint courses I keep seeing LBS advertising.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2019
    Paulus likes this.
  9. Paulus

Paulus Started young, and still going.

For those who need to learn about bike mechanics, there are loads of video stuff on you tube. Alternatively, the bike book by Haynes gives step by step instructions with loads of pictures.
    51JSsxiHZkL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Johnno260 likes this.
  10. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

A braze on can be twisted, it sits on a radiused bracket so alignment can be set.

The alignment looks OK though so it may be cable tension, just increase it slightly but TBH I'd check everything was right if it 'unshipped' the chain, if you're not confident take it to a shop though.

Nigelnightmare likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

I followed the YT clip and all seems good now, it shifts up ok I can't hear too much clatter but I'm prepared to maybe have to tweak it on the fly.

Thanks again all.

Nigelnightmare, Sharky, C R and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice