Front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/video/adjust-bike-gears-142575
It says here that if you are struggling to move the chain from the smallest to largest, you need more cable tension. Is the barrell adjuster the thing on the cables near the brakes?

Yes that will be the cable adjuster. You just need a slight adjustment by the sound of it.

It may be that there is slack and as you are moving the lever you are taking up slack before shifting the mech so tightening up will do. Make a note of how much you turn the adjuster.

If that doesn't work then you may need to check the outer limit screw on the mech to make sure it is allowing the mech to move fully over.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
More tension. It also needs to be able to overshift a little if it still wont shift, so adjust the limit screw. If it's only just started this, then most likely cable tension.

MonsterEnergy

Yep thanks
I can now shift over to the big chain ring but it takes about 5 seconds maybe before it properly changes into the big chain ring.

boydj

Legendary Member
Sorry wrong thread, but now i have new handlebars, friends have recommended my getting a shorter stem as mine is quite long. But i'm not sure what size to get. Can anyone help with sizing. For example some say something like this
31.8mm - 35mm - 1.1/8"

Why don't you start a new thread, rather than getting issues confused in here?

Top Bottom