Front Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dependant on how it's angled too, surely?:angel:
Actually no, that is not unless you have it pointed down just in front of the wheel, in which case it becomes redundant and if the light is loose enough on the bars to be able to do this manually every time another road user approaches, then the slightest bump or vibration will render it useless.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Magicshine.

You won't need 1000 lumens for road riding, it will have low power options, but useful when pitching a tent at night. Also Magicshine accessories are plentiful and available from many cycling retail outlets.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Magicshine.
They're almost always dazzling and therefore illegal unless you modify it with a letterbox lens. Unmodified, it reportedly has a 27° visibility, so you would have to aim it at the floor just six foot ahead to avoid dazzling other road users and I've yet to see anyone riding with a light aimed that far down.

Also, it has no side visibility, does it? So you're at more risk of being T-boned, too. A double-whammy light. :sad:

An old version of that junk was reviewed at http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/te...nder_afkapping/Magicshine_mj808/index_en.html

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Magicshine have a good rep. Looks the better one of those three.

Whilst we're on about lights, I see a lot of Hope Vision1 lights for sale, each with the seller proclaiming they're a good light.

If that's the case, why are so many on sale?
The hope vision 1 kicks out a decent illumination but the battery just dies, no warning or fade off, you end up with a pocket full of AA's just to be on the safe side and I found that much more than a gentle vibration was enough to temporarily break the circuit with the battery holder and have it cut out.

Good light, flawed design is probably a fair description

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The hope vision 1 kicks out a decent illumination but the battery just dies, no warning or fade off, you end up with a pocket full of AA's just to be on the safe side and I found that much more than a gentle vibration was enough to temporarily break the circuit with the battery holder and have it cut out.

Riiiiight see thanks.

Tom B

Guru
With similar requirements in the Lancashire Rain (better than Yorkshire Rain obv) I got a lezyne powerdrive 900xl on the recommendation of the LBS.

I get a week's worth of conmuting from a charge and the pulse option is good for road use. On the country lanes / cycle paths I use top std level and overdrive only on the darkest sections.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I've not had any problems with vibration, and I know I can last a week for the amount I need in the depths of winter so they are good for me (my commute is just after day break in the morning, and to just after dusk in the evening). And I usually have a different light on as well so I can have flashing at the same time if I want, so if it goes out then the other light is there.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've not had any problems with vibration, and I know I can last a week for the amount I need in the depths of winter so they are good for me (my commute is just after day break in the morning, and to just after dusk in the evening). And I usually have a different light on as well so I can have flashing at the same time if I want, so if it goes out then the other light is there.
+1. Use decent rechargeables, charge them regularly and you shouldn't have a problem. The current V1 (2013 model) does have a low battery warning, it switches to flashing mode. Did this to me the other week when on my December century- hadn't fully charged the batteries beforehand though. I just switched to my backup light (a mark one V1).

Tom B

Guru
With similar requirements in the Lancashire Rain (better than Yorkshire Rain obv) I got a lezyne powerdrive 900xl on the recommendation of the LBS.

I get a week's worth of commuting from a charge and the pulse option is good for road use. On the country lanes / cycle paths I use top std level and overdrive only on the darkest sections.

Chaps/Chapesses;

My 6month old Lezyne 900XL died on me on Saturday night. It kept turning itself off on every bump. I was expecting a water ingress issue as at the time we had been in the rain for about 8 hours. When I took it apart I found that the -ve lead had broken away at the point at which the lead is soldered on to the battery can.

My first thought was simply to either replace the cable or 18650 battery with a tabbed version but then I thought why should I, its 6months into a 2yr warranty on a £70 device..
I have taken the light back to the LBS who are sending it off (after much un-happyness about it being opened) to Lezyne. I have no doubt that one way or another it will be fixed or repaired.

The thing that bothers me is that the conductors in the leads used appear to be of a silver colour - not just tinning possibly steel, rather than copper, and not too flexible. They are stiff and retain shape when flexed. For something that is going to be subject to a lot of undampened vibration this seems to be something of a pennypinching design flaw leaving the device vulnerable to this type of failure from vibration fatigue.

image1.JPG

It appears the +ve lead is starting to suffer the same MOF.

So with this in mind I am planning on selling the Lezyne on (when it comes back) and buying a different light (and one that I can also use in the meanwhile)

I have been looking at the various Cateye VOLT lights

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cateye-volt-800-rc-front-light/rp-prod141025

Does anyone here have one and can anyone tell me how well the clamp performs? It looks pretty naff in the pictures, does the light separate from the clamp?

Any other recommendations? I am/was more than happy with the out put of the Lezyne Powerdrive 900XL.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru

I get a week's worth of conmuting from a charge and the pulse option is good for road use. On the country lanes / cycle paths I use top std level and overdrive only on the darkest sections.
+1 Lezyne 900XL.

Boom. End thread.

Does anyone here have one and can anyone tell me how well the clamp performs? It looks pretty naff in the pictures, does the light separate from the clamp?
I shared your misgivings, bought a Cateye anyway - and now really like the clamp; I shift my lights regularly between three bikes, quickly, easily, reliably - and it's worked well.

Tom B

Guru
Chaps/Chapesses;

My 6month old Lezyne 900XL died on me on Saturday night

Despite the reservations of LBS, Lezyne/Upgrade bikes pulled through and replaced the lamp without further quibble.
+1 for Lezyne.

I still feel there is an inherent design flaw so have ordered the cateye.

Top Bottom