Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I struggled last year with several different lights, I tried a couple of Lezyne lights another brand from a friend, and I wasn't happy with any of them.

Now, for a while I have been tempted by the Garmin Varia front light, and I believe it will connect with my Edge 520.

They're coming down in price due to the newer model being released, my question is, if I can get a decent deal are they worth it?

I know it's heavy but my current light is 195g vs the Garmins 225g

Has anyone used these? and do they have some good advise.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've been really happy with my Leyzne 400 XL to date but my previous experience of a Moon Meteor was a let down, it lasted about 1 week pass it's warranty.
I use my Leyzne daily, and I ride most days so it has been used for a year about 500 times.
Having said that, the Leyzne light is about to be one years old so lets see what happens.

What's your criteria with lights, reliability, brightness, battery life, price - all of these things ?

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
My Leyzne is the 600 XL and I hate it, battery life is ok, it slips on the bars loads so I feel I’m constantly re-adjusting it, I can't also find a good spot on the bars with out it messing with my cables.

I don’t mind spending some cash on a good product, but my experience with leyzne to date I’m not impressed with.

The other brand I tried was the Moon and I didn’t like it.

Reason I asked about the Garmin was I like the fact it uses the front mount, I’m hoping it removes my biggest gripe and the light sensor.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why not just put a wider strip of rubber under the light mount to stop it slipping?. Slipping is usually bevause you have bars too narrow for the mount. It is easily fixed though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran

Many of the reviews about the Garmin light complain about weight, for me that isn't an issue.

But it seems to be an issue for many.

wonderloaf

Veteran
70 grams for the clamp mount according to Amazon, don't know how that stacks up against the rubber strap.
ohhh this may solve things, I was totally not aware the mount could be changed! thank you very much!!
I got mine as part of a kit as a christmas pressie, wasn't going to use it originally (just wanted the rubber strap) but now stays permanently mounted to the bike as it's more convenient!

si_c

Guru
If it's slipping it's definitely that your bars are narrower than ideal. You could also try wrapping a bit of old inner tube around the handlebar where you want to mount it and holding that in place with electrical tape. This should provide a solid base for mounting.

Having said that I've not had problems with a 350xl slipping when mounted even on 24mm diameter bars, but I did have to pull the strap really tight.

rb58

Enigma
Exposure Joystick for me. So good, I have two. Mount is rock solid, light is small, very well made. One of mine is in its 7th season and still going strong.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Honestly, LED and battery technology has progressed to the point where even entry level lights are good enough for me.

I use a pair of Aldi lights. £10, rechargeable and bright enough to see adequately on a unlit reasonable road surface. Cars dip their beams when they see it, which is always a good sign. I haven't found out how long they last because it's more than the three hours needed for two days commuting.

I don't doubt in a couple of years time there will be £10 lights that make those look like dim rubbish.

Buy cheap, buy frequently is my strategy.

Top Bottom