Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Iceniner said:
The battery life of those electrons looks pretty poor in comparison to some other models, 10 hour charge times for 2 or so hours usage on medium settings?

It just seems unpractical to me. You would probably leave them to charge whilst you were sleeping probably, but 10 hours is a long time. If you came home late, or forgot to charge it, you'd probably not have time to charge it for 10 hours before you needed it again, meaning you would have even less than what the website states as they tested with a full battery.

Regards to the 1/2 watt rears, i put coupled two together in a row to put under my seat, they are awesomely bright together. I put some pictures under the "rear lights" thread in this part.

Battery life doesn't seem too dissimilar to the Smarts and I've been running them OK. I just make charging part of 'the routine'. I've always got an emergency backup anyway.

Noticed your bit about the Smart 1/2 watt rears. I've just ordered a couple of the rack mounts from JEJames. Little bit of fabrication and I'll be running 2 as well.

simonali

Guru
MrGrumpy said:
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Pr...ryID/2/v/5d00441d-8ecb-4961-9f9d-4849d4db6022

these are good for the money, they were even cheaper for a while, £99 but can`t see them at that price anywhere, alot of light and neat, suppose the Dinottes are neater, my neighbour has a set and they are smart but he paid £300+ for his front and rear.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product_1362.htm

Nuvver tenner.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

gambatte said:
Seems the rear light threads well underway, but a while since we've had one of the front light ones?

Besides I've a bit of Xmas prezzy cash left over and may be looking to upgrade.

Currently using 5/10W Smarts with the lead acid battery. But calling into the shops its a lot (fiddly) to 'make safe'

Any suggestions as to upgrades?

Usually I run the 5W, but use the 10W for bad weather, filtering through jams etc.

AYUP lights!!

I have the roadie set. Brilliant.

Daniel B

And another vote for the ayup's - I bought a set (regular, so helmet and bars), I bought a set for my gf, and my mate bought a set too.

If you can organise a few puchases you can get a discount.

I use mine for my commute on my Carrera, and will use the same lights, but also with the helmet one for some nightime offroading.

These lights are awesome, even one set, compared to my cateye, it is worlds apart - I ride through an unlit park, and had to slow right down, or even stop once, as I couldn't make out the path/grass/river boundaries. No need to slow down with the ayup's, I describe it as the same feeling you have when driving along in your car with car headlights, it's like headlights for your bike :biggrin:

And just to echo earlier comments, the quality of these lights is outstanding, they literally are a piece of machinery you want to handle, they ooze quality.

Dan

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Plax said:
have people had any experience of these lights (Electron)?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...5995&N=Electron 5W 10W Double Lighting System
They look pretty similar to the Smart's. I was thinking of maybe getting these and the Smart 1/2 watt rear light and using that set-up.
(would keep my helmet mounted Cateye EL-450 and my Cateye TL-LD260BS Rear Light and sell the other Cateye lights I've got)

I've been running these for almost 18 months - really like them. I had the old model originally but due to a mix-up ordering a spare lamp later, I got a free set of the new model lights from the excellent CRC. New ones (these ones you see on Wiggle) are much more sturdy and have had no problems with them. I'm on my 2nd battery after overcooking the first one (my original model set didn't have Smart charging, so I used a timer socket but set it incorrectly at one point).

As someone else said, charging the battery up overnight is now routine.

derall

Guru
Plax said:
have people had any experience of these lights (Electron)?
link
They look pretty similar to the Smart's. I was thinking of maybe getting these and the Smart 1/2 watt rear light and using that set-up.
(would keep my helmet mounted Cateye EL-450 and my Cateye TL-LD260BS Rear Light and sell the other Cateye lights I've got)

I have a set of these which are now at the bottom of a box somewhere. Good lights, cr@ppy mounting system. Having said that, from the page you point to it would appear that the mount has been changed from the T-bar mine came with, so it may be okay now. Also, the battery was just undersized for a standard cage so had to be taped / strapped in place. Shame that design flaws spoiled an otherwise good lighting system.

kyuss

Veteran
Charlotte_C+ :-)do you think the narrow bean on helmet would be just as good to on its own? said:

I wondered this as well when I was buying mine and got in touch with AyUp about it. They said the narrow beam was designed for use along with an intermediate or medium beam and doesn't really have enough of a spread to use on its own, so they recommended the intermediate. Dead chuffed with it.

simonali

Guru
I think I went for the intermediate beam.

Unfortunately you have to factor in charges when they get through customs. They sometimes get through without being picked up on, but the few who bought Ayup sets here before Christmas ended up paying between £30 and £40 extra each.

Still worth it in my opinion though.

You could ge the Hope set for around that and be buying British (and not having something sent halfway round the world). Course, I dunno if these are any good or not?!

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8959&catID=105

twowheelsgood

The only thing that bothers me with the ayups is they only use a resistor as a regulator, this is wasteful and doesn't protect the battery from over discharge. Also they run at a nominal 500mA, which is a shame as those nice Cree LED will run happily at 750mA.

Plax

Guru
goo_mason said:
I've been running these for almost 18 months - really like them. I had the old model originally but due to a mix-up ordering a spare lamp later, I got a free set of the new model lights from the excellent CRC. New ones (these ones you see on Wiggle) are much more sturdy and have had no problems with them. I'm on my 2nd battery after overcooking the first one (my original model set didn't have Smart charging, so I used a timer socket but set it incorrectly at one point).

As someone else said, charging the battery up overnight is now routine.

Thanks Goo Mason, I have ordered these lights and am eagerly waiting for them to arrive.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Curses, now I'm jibbing over buying an Ay Yup Roadie kit.
Although I tend to ride under the sodium glow of London streets I really like being able to see the road ahead as well as being visible to others.

Dunno quite how I'd fix them to the KMX but I want to stop having to charge stoopid amounts of AAA's for lights for both the trike and the MTB and have one unit I can swap between rides.

Listen to me, talking myself into it.......*tip toes back to penny jar*

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I have an old CatsEye halogen, it's a classic but I have lost the mount and it never lasted at full strength for very long.

The Ay Yup looks like an investment in the long run and I'm not happy with just throwing £40-£50 at a plastic hairdryer type thing with another bizarre mount.

Look, you've got me doing it again.......

D'ya know where I can exchange £120 in 1 & 2p pieces for Australian dollars

T x

bonj2

All the things come in their own nice little neoprene pouch, with one big one for the whole lot, if that's any further motivation.

Top Bottom