Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hey, Mr. Paul,
After having to replace both sets of gear and break levers I got some time on the MTB with the Ay Ups! I used them on the 3pm school run, they made a real difference even in daylight. I had a good blat last night and they worked so well, even under street lights.

Thanks again for the nudge!

T x

RufusA

Über Member
Good to see peeps are happy with the Ay-Ups! after weeks of dithering (and a mashed up knee due to hitting a stupidly placed tree planter, I didn't see with my inadequate front lights), I'm going to place an order.

Also just noticed the switchable batteries are now online - yipee!

However I've failed at the first hurdle - can't decide what colour casing to go for.

User & tdr1nka, what colour did you go for, what colour bikes have you got, and are you happy with the combination?

Are there any spares you miss, or bits in that are in the kit you don't need / use?

Thanks - Rufus

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hiya RufusA,

After serious deliberation I went for the classic 'black' myself and because my faithful 11 year old Trek 800 is silver & black(under all that winter road cr*p).

The lights came with everything I needed inc. 2 handlebar mounts and a helmet mount. I bought the 'Roadie' kit, btw.
It had been my plan to use the spare mount on my trike but as there is nowhere practical to mount the lights on the frame I will be popping them on my lid for trike rides instead.
So all my possible uses were covered in the one kit!

Enjoy!

T x

domtyler

Über Member
tdr1nka said:
Hiya RufusA,

After serious deliberation I went for the classic 'black' myself and because my faithful 11 year old Trek 800 is silver & black(under all that winter road cr*p).

The lights came with everything I needed inc. 2 handlebar mounts and a helmet mount. I bought the 'Roadie' kit, btw.
It had been my plan to use the spare mount on my trike but as there is nowhere practical to mount the lights on the frame I will be popping them on my lid for trike rides instead.
So all my possible uses were covered in the one kit!

Enjoy!

T x

That middle photo has burned my retinas just by looking at it on my computer screen!!

I have just bought myself a new set of wheels and have a Schmidt Dynohub :thumbsdown: I cannot wait to get it all set up :smile: Will post some photos once I have it up and running, although it may be slightly trickier to do as you need to be moving for it to reach full brightness. :becool:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Wotcha Dom,

Fuggin bright ain't they! Even when approaching peds from behind they are turning to see where all the light is coming from!! :becool:

I'm sure there is a system available for dynamos that will charge a small battery to keep lights lit when you're not moving?
Something akin to the split charge relay in a car.

Can anyone/expand/clarify/help on this?

Tx

domtyler said:
That middle photo has burned my retinas just by looking at it on my computer screen!!

I have just bought myself a new set of wheels and have a Schmidt Dynohub :smile: I cannot wait to get it all set up :smile: Will post some photos once I have it up and running, although it may be slightly trickier to do as you need to be moving for it to reach full brightness. :becool:

Just tape the camera on the end of a pole, hold it out in front of whilst cycling, set the camera on a timer and be sure to smile :thumbsdown:

PrettyboyTim

domtyler said:

Smashing as those lights look, I'd be a little worried about dazzling other road users, and especially cyclists as there is a section of my commute that goes along a 2-way cycle lane and I wouldn't want to blind those coming the other way...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
PrettyboyTim said:
Smashing as those lights look, I'd be a little worried about dazzling other road users................I wouldn't want to blind those coming the other way...

The lights are so easily adjusted that you can point them down when you need to, after only a few days riding with them already I've had one Moton curse me 'cos my lights were 'too' bright. ;)

T x

levad

Veteran
It may already been asked, what beam pattern have people got for the AYUPs? I am very very tempted, but dawn is getting earlier and dusk later so it may be difficult to justify to the "Home Secretary"

domtyler

Über Member
Still months of commuting at least one way in the dark/twilight yet, and it only takes one journey to go pear shaped to... well I won't expand on that thought!

TDrinka, the lights do have a standby LED that lets you get seen when not moving, lasts for about five minutes according to the documentation.

I don't think you are too much at risk of dazzling other road users with these, they are still nowhere near as powerful as a cars or motorbikes.

ratty2k

The Ayups do look like very nice lights. I already have a Dinotte light up front, and am very happy with its performance. Easily bright enough for the unlit parts ofmy commute. Must admit to using a head torch as well tho' (Silva L2) as it make drivers know I'm looking at them and I like to see round corners as well, especially on the darker parts of my commute.
I was lucky as well, got them with £50 off as the new 2008 lights were going on sale at On-One/ Planet X.

PrettyboyTim

I wonder if the area of the light makes a difference to the 'dazzle' level?

Car lights put out more light than an Ayup (I assume), but perhaps dazzle less because the light isn't concentrated in such a small area?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
LOL Dom,

I think I'm more likely to p*ss car drivers off, who see the lights and expect a large motorbike only to be passed by me on my tatty MTB, peddling like fury!

Glad to hear there is a standby light for your dyno-hub.
Awaiting pics.

T x

Top Bottom