Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Have counted out the penny jar and trying desperatly not to hector Mrs. tdr1nka who can buy the lights for me on her credit card.

Meanwhile I was reading the Ay Yup blurb about the difference in the beams and found this;

'For road / commuting use the intermediate or medium beam is ideal but the medium obviously lacks the throw of the marrow.'

LOL
Obviously a Yorkshireman!

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Mr. Paul,
I happily hold you just a teensiest bit responsable for my descision to buy the Ay Yup Roadie Kit, with your very generous guiding posts.
Can you, or any Ay Yup owner for that matter and at your leisure, possibly furnish me with the measurement for the distance between the two handlebar mount legs? I now have a nice little project fixing the lights to the KMX.
Could I sling them upside down, under the pedal boom?

Thanks again for the prods in the right direction!

T x

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
bonj said:
All the things come in their own nice little neoprene pouch, with one big one for the whole lot, if that's any further motivation.

Oooooo.... you're all almost talking me into going for these when my Electrons get old enough to retire. Maybe I should get a set for my intended road bike purchase in April; a nice bike needs a nice set of lights for when it gets dark.

Here's hoping there's something left of my January bonus by the time I pay off Christmas and the remainder of the payment for the new boiler I had put in last August.

Anyone want to post a side-on shot of their bike with the lights / battery pouch mounted, just to work tdr1nka and me up into a frenzied maelstrom of temptation ? (Mind you, I get the feeling he's almost ready to burst with excitement already :wacko:)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I juse happen to have my lovely neoprene pouch beside my pc. And inside is the spare mounting bracket.

*...through the smokey air of the bar Mr. Paul levelled his steady gaze on me while deftly slipping a hand into the inside pocket of his Crombie.
He extracted what I could only discribe as a cigar case made out of a wet suit........'Is this what you're looking for Son?'.........*

You Star! Thanx.

THIS is what Christmas should feel like!

T x
:wacko:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
goo_mason said:
Anyone want to post a side-on shot of their bike with the lights / battery pouch mounted, just to work tdr1nka and me up into a frenzied maelstrom of temptation ? (Mind you, I get the feeling he's almost ready to burst with excitement already ;))

I am now in a Zen calm having ordered the Ay Yup lights, my (night)vision will soon be a reality......

So until then Goo is quite right! Show us some really good pictures with all yer pouches mounted etc........hang on?

What on earth am I turning into?

T x :blush: :biggrin:

simonali

Guru
Do they sell these Ayups in the bicycle boutiques over there?

Wifey works for an airline and therefore knows lots of flying waiters who could pick me up some on the cheap maybe!

Plax

Guru
Ok, so my Electron 10w/15w lights arrived yesterday and have been dutifully charged. The bottle shaped battery fits in the bottle cage snugly, so no problems there. The mounting brackets are straightforward enough, but my handle bars must be thinner than the norm as even fully tightened the lights are lose. Thankfully I had a spare rubber bracket thing that was thicker that has solved the problem. Charged and working ok. Quite pleased so far.
My question is this - I unbeknown to myself as to WHY, decided to cycle into work today. The rain is coming down fast and there are impressive floods (on my cycle in I notices several missing fields and even a missing car park!). The cycle shelter is a bit pants, and depending on wind direction, your bike gets a soaking in the racks. Because of the mounting brackets not being all that convienient to get on and off quickly I couldn't be bothered taking everything off. Will my lights still be working at home time? Or should I go back out in the rain and remove everything?

Iceniner

I hope that your lights will be ok! If they are worth the money you paid for them i would expect them to be highly water resistant/water proof! if in doubt its better to be safe than sorry!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Plax said:
Will my lights still be working at home time? Or should I go back out in the rain and remove everything?

You picked the perfect day to road test the new lights!

Thanks Mr. P for the link to pics.
OT was it ever discovered why the import duty varied so much?:angry:
I can only guess it might have been due to exchange rates.

Tx

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Plax said:
Ok, so my Electron 10w/15w lights arrived yesterday and have been dutifully charged. The bottle shaped battery fits in the bottle cage snugly, so no problems there. The mounting brackets are straightforward enough, but my handle bars must be thinner than the norm as even fully tightened the lights are lose. Thankfully I had a spare rubber bracket thing that was thicker that has solved the problem. Charged and working ok. Quite pleased so far.
My question is this - I unbeknown to myself as to WHY, decided to cycle into work today. The rain is coming down fast and there are impressive floods (on my cycle in I notices several missing fields and even a missing car park!). The cycle shelter is a bit pants, and depending on wind direction, your bike gets a soaking in the racks. Because of the mounting brackets not being all that convienient to get on and off quickly I couldn't be bothered taking everything off. Will my lights still be working at home time? Or should I go back out in the rain and remove everything?

Mine have taken many a thorough soaking since I've got them - they'll be fine. There are rubber seals around all joins on the lights (I know, as I dismantled one of the old set to try to fix it last year).

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well my decisions been made. All my commute is lit, so I need lights to be seen, not to seen with. I'll keep the Smart lead acid halogens in a backup position.

I've basically now got 2 No Smart Superflash at the rear of the rack and 2 No 5 LED Smart Polaris on an accessory bar at the front. Nice and bright, without the regular charging of the halogens and minus the weight of the battery pack.

Ever the Yorkshireman, I went into JEJames with print outs of CRC (cheapest I could find on net), to see if they'd price match. Sods had already beaten them. I felt cheated.....:blush::wacko::smile:

Plax

Guru
Well my Electron lights withstood the weather, although I have noticed there is a tiny drop of water on the inside of the 5w light, but it doesn't seem to have had an adverse effect and I'm hoping it'll "evaporate" shortly.
Very pleased with the light output. I've angled them to my preference etc. Only niggle was that after screwing on the brakets as tight as they would go they were a bit loose on the handlebars. This was resolved with thicker rubber things I had knocking about the house (what are they called, you know those that go round the bars first before you attach the main clamp). The bottle shaped battery pack fitted nicely in my existing bottle holder.

longers

Legendary Member
Don't forget that they had the Regular kit and will have needed two more for the helmet mounted lights.

The review mentions that they are difficult to move between bikes this can be remedied by buying extra bar mounts at around £2.67 each. Hardly excessive.

Top Bottom