Front of knees hurt, is my seat too low or too high?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The front of my knees (just below the kneecap) are starting to hurt a bit after a hard ride, not so bad that I'll stop but enough to concern me. I know there's a rough formula that's related to front or back knee pain and the height of ones seat, but I can't remember which way round it is!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If it was above the knee, I would say the saddle may be too low. If you get it in the hamstrings and can feel your hips rocking when you pedal, the saddle is too high. The fact that the pain is below the kneecap is a little concerning.

To answer your original Q though, Front = too low & back = too high.

GrasB

Veteran
Another cause could be saddle to far back/cranks are too long for your saddle position. The indication for this is if you feel like you're having to stretch your leg forward to keep your foot on the pedal.

e-rider

crappy member
is it not possible that the bike position is fine, but you just have slightly dodgy knees? I get occasional knee pain these days and my set-up is fine.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
All of the above, but also examine your cleats if you use them. Very few people have identical feet so cleats must be fixed according to each foot.

Thomk

Guru
All of the above, but also examine your cleats if you use them. Very few people have identical feet so cleats must be fixed according to each foot.
Also if you walk like a duck make sure the cleats point your feet out like a duck while cycling. If you walk like a pigeon.......you get the idea.

defy-one

That will be the biggest releiver, also help your chain & cassette from premature wear

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomk

Guru
Andrew Culture.jpg Greg-Davies-2.jpg You never see these two in the same room at the same time....

e-rider

crappy member
That will be the biggest releiver, also help your chain & cassette from premature wear

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

are you suggesting that we should all cycle slower to prevent wear to chain and cassette? Why not stop cycling altogether, the bike will last forever and be maintenance free for life!

Top Bottom