Front rack without mount points?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
I'm not very optimistic but I thought I would ask - anyone know of a way of getting a front rack on a bike without the eyelets for it? I've got a B'twin Triban 3 which just has mounts for mudguards and that's it. Any suggestions? Thanks :smile:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Limpets is what you want to search for:

image.jpeg

Here is the 'rack' on my Saracen ready to take the two bags.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I looked up limpet, looks like a carradice thing that's no longer in production. Also besides that I'd like to get the ortlieb front rollers. Thanks though.

Would using these be a bad idea given I've got a carbon fork?

axiom_journey_suspension_disc_lowrider_front_rack.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

I've just fitted one of these to my bike it's clearly designed for the rear, on the quick release spindle, but for £9.99 could you not modify it to fit the other way around.

20190221_171022.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Just curious.How is it stopped from going forwards?Does it rely on the axle fixing?I have never seen those.

The loop does go forwards with no bags fitted. However, only to a point. Once it reaches a certain point, it won't go forwards any further. Might be as simple as an edge stopping against another. Once the bags are on, they hold it in position. Haven't us d it much but I do remember being impressed.

D

Deleted member 26715

freiston

Veteran
I looked up limpet, looks like a carradice thing that's no longer in production. Also besides that I'd like to get the ortlieb front rollers. Thanks though.

Would using these be a bad idea given I've got a carbon fork?

View attachment 454429
They look similar to these (except these have a loop over the wheel which can make them a lot safer) sold by SJS - and SJS say:
"We would not recommend this low rider for use with carbon forks I'm afraid as the top fixing needs to clamp tight and carbon forks are not designed to be clamped."

If I'm right in thinking your bike has caliper brakes then I would think you are better off getting something that attaches at axle/eyelets at the bottom and the fork crown at the top. Personally, I would be looking at an alternative way of carrying luggage than front panniers on carbon forks with no "low rider" eyes.

Edit: - Something like the Velo Orange Constructeur (but Velo Orange ain't cheap)
https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/cycling-accessories/velo-orange-constructeur-front-rack/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
They look similar to these (except these have a loop over the wheel which can make them a lot safer) sold by SJS - and SJS say:
"We would not recommend this low rider for use with carbon forks I'm afraid as the top fixing needs to clamp tight and carbon forks are not designed to be clamped."

If I'm right in thinking your bike has caliper brakes then I would think you are better off getting something that attaches at axle/eyelets at the bottom and the fork crown at the top. Personally, I would be looking at an alternative way of carrying luggage than front panniers on carbon forks with no "low rider" eyes.

Yeah, I think I'd already came to that conclusion once before but I think I'm coming to it again.

I've got a steel 1984 Dawes Galaxy that I could use instead, but the thing weighs a tonne. I guess when touring such things aren't as much of a consideration, but I'm quite happy riding my Triban 3.

freiston

Veteran
Yeah, I think I'd already came to that conclusion once before but I think I'm coming to it again.

I've got a steel 1984 Dawes Galaxy that I could use instead, but the thing weighs a tonne. I guess when touring such things aren't as much of a consideration, but I'm quite happy riding my Triban 3.
When you factor in the weight of the luggage and the rider, the extra few pounds of the Galaxy are a smaller percentage difference than when just carrying an inner tube and multitool - so the more you carry, the less difference the bike weight makes. I don't know what the gearing is on each bike and I don't know how much weight and hills you will be encountering, but I would think that the Galaxy would have lower gearing better suited to the extra weight.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
When you factor in the weight of the luggage and the rider, the extra few pounds of the Galaxy are a smaller percentage difference than when just carrying an inner tube and multitool - so the more you carry, the less difference the bike weight makes. I don't know what the gearing is on each bike and I don't know how much weight and hills you will be encountering, but I would think that the Galaxy would have lower gearing better suited to the extra weight.

Just about to post about this in the touring sub-forum, keep your eyes peeled and let me know your thoughts :smile: (please ;) ).

Edit: - Something like the Velo Orange Constructeur (but Velo Orange ain't cheap)
https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/cycling-accessories/velo-orange-constructeur-front-rack/

There is a reason low riders exist, and are LOW

A weight above the front wheel in the same way as say a rcktop bag on the rear wheel, will make a MASSIVE difference to the bike's handling.

I'm not saying don't do it. I did a cycle tour with a rear rack drilled out for a fork mount, and a tent strapped to it, plus a load of other gear in rear panniers. It felt wobbly but I managed it and it became second nature. 80 miles and a few hard hills later I pitched the tent and we got on our bikes to ride down the hill to the village.

Unladen front and rear I got on, pedalled and promptly fell straight off such was the difference in handling from the front carrier. I'd got so used to it, whetever I was doing to over-compensate sent me flying

Top Bottom