Front racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking of adding a front rack to my Dawes Galaxy
It it best to have high level rack, which I assume goes above the front wheel or the low type which attaches just to the forks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends what you're planning on carrying.

RobinS

Veteran
For normal touring panniers we find the Tubus Tara front rack very good. Carries a pair of Ortlieb front panniers nicely. If you get this style make sure you get one with the loop over the top of the wheel - it is needed for rigidity - without the rack can swing into the front wheel.

Crankarm

Guru
I use the Surly front rack and the surly rear rack they work good for me.They will fit a lot of bicycles too.

The Surly Front Nice rack is heavy, very heavy about 1.7kg with all the mounting kit attached. Iirc the Dawes has a non straight front fork which does not lend itself to accommodating a Surly Nice Front rack which is best suited to a straight fork such as is on the Troll, ECR, Moonlander etc. I know I have the Surly Front Nice rack and have Surly bikes as well. It doesn't easily fit on the non straight fork of my Long Haul Trucker which is similar to the OP's Dawes.

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
For normal touring panniers we find the Tubus Tara front rack very good. Carries a pair of Ortlieb front panniers nicely. If you get this style make sure you get one with the loop over the top of the wheel - it is needed for rigidity - without the rack can swing into the front wheel.
Tubus Duo Lowrider Front Pannier

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419_220954_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419_220954_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 21

Dale 1956

The Surly Front Nice rack is heavy, very heavy about 1.7kg with all the mounting kit attached. Iirc the Dawes has a non straight front fork which does not lend itself to accommodating a Surly Nice Front rack which is best suited to a straight fork such as is on the Troll, ECR, Moonlander etc. I know I have the Surly Front Nice rack and have Surly bikes as well. It doesn't easily fit on the non straight fork of my Long Haul Trucker which is similar to the OP's Dawes.
I have them on both of my Surly LHT and my Surly Disc Trucker but like you said they may not fit on all bicycle.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I am thinking of adding a front rack to my Dawes Galaxy
It it best to have high level rack, which I assume goes above the front wheel or the low type which attaches just to the forks
There's a useful article by Alee Denham which might help https://www.cyclingabout.com/all-about-front-racks-bicycle-touring/

A wheel loop plays a huge part in the strength and stiffness of a front rack. The Tara probably had best strength/weight and stiffness/weight of any front rack and is one of the lightest and simplest designs.
If you are riding around the world you may need a top rack but for comfortable Euro camping, the Tara is good. Modern camping gear gets more compact and lightweight every year

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd be going with a Tubus Tara if I needed front wheel racks, I've got a Tubus rear rack on one bike and that's the business. I've got Tortec racks on other bikes, they're fine enough but they're not quite as well engineered as a Tubus.

freiston

Veteran
I have the Tubus Tara. If you go for a low rider type rack and your forks have bosses on the outside only, then the Tubus Tara with the loop over the wheel is not only a good rack but much safer than a rack that does not join up both sides. If your forks have bosses either side of the fork blades, then a rack like the Tubus Duo can be used as it gains its rigidity and strength by bolting onto both sides of the fork blade (but I would probably still go for the Tara).

Tubus duo is great if your fork has the correct braze on.
Looks much tidier than the hoop over the tyre..

Top Bottom