Front rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daverave

Veteran
My Giant 2015 Defy 1 has developed quite a rattle which seems to be coming from the front and is very noticable when going downhill and over bumpy ground. I can't figure out if it's coming from the wheel or the headset? Any advice on how to diagnose, or are there any likely causes?

I've never really serviced the bike, apart from cleaning it and tyre changes. Do you think it might be worth getting a full service? Have seen that Giant do a "platinum service" for £99 + parts.

figbat

Slippery scientist
You're sure it's not the brake cables knocking together? When I shortened the stem on my Fuji this caused the cables to start touching and drove me mad. Ideally I'd shorten the cable outers but for now I have cable-tied them together.

My Giant 2015 Defy 1 has developed quite a rattle which seems to be coming from the front and is very noticable when going downhill and over bumpy ground. I can't figure out if it's coming from the wheel or the headset? Any advice on how to diagnose, or are there any likely causes?

I've never really serviced the bike, apart from cleaning it and tyre changes. Do you think it might be worth getting a full service? Have seen that Giant do a "platinum service" for £99 + parts.
Any internal cable routing? More of a 'clink' had it on Ghost 4900?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I did have a few loose spokes, and tightened them,
I would pluck every spoke. If they feel even a bit 'loose' they probably all need tightening (half a turn each as a start). The rattle may, of course, not be this.
If you stand beside the bike, apply the front brake and rock forward, does the steerer tube move with respect to the head tube? If so, headset adjustment required (unlikely to be this). Assume no mudguards.

Had a new rattle turn up a few weeks ago, only at certain speeds and road surface types. Took me a couple of weeks to figure it out but it was the computer moving around inside it's mount. Bit of foam solved it.

At first i thought is was the front wheel or the headset but checked both several times and all was OK.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you have a rattle, throw it out of the pram, seems to be the norm around here, :laugh:

Sorry couldn't resist, can't really help, but sound does seem to travel on a bike, so I would start at the front & work all the way to the back, pluck every spoke, spanner on every nut/bolt, take each cable & flick side to side. Then make sure it's nothing unrelated, something on your pocket, in the saddle bag watch, etc.

silva

Über Member
yea, a "rattle" sound comes from a thin plate / little mass so easy to move.
It could be an aluminium rivet from a mudguards 90° mounting plate, the aluminium wears out due to vibrations (so it increasingly worsens) - the mudguard gets some play and that's a typical rattling.
I fixed it by a bolt and nut, and a rubber washer between the steel washers (and then some silicone over it to prevent rust).

boydj

Legendary Member
To check you headset bearings, hold the front brake on tight and press down on the handlebars in a rocking motion to see if there's any looseness or movement.

Top Bottom