Front wheel "kick" when disc brake applied

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi all...

Quick question if you can help me…

I noticed this morning that when I applied the brakes on my Scott Sub Cross 10 2018 the front wheel seems to pull/kicks to the left slightly when you look at the top of the wheel from the riding position, not much but you can see it…

When I got back home I removed the wheel, more to see if the QR was loose which it appeared was not tight as such but OK…

What I did notice was the bearing cone lock nut seemed to be loose and there was a bit of movement in the hub… so, right or wrong I just tightened the lock nut finger tight using no tools and it seemed to stop the hub movement a little… With the wheel back in the slight kick seems to be there still, but not as bad…

Is this slight kick normal for a disc brake bike or do I need to get the bearings adjusted? It seems to ride OK with no knocks or anything.. Should I ride it before I get it checked?
Stuart

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Did you check the headset bearings too?

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

No, I did not check those... the bike has only done 600 miles since I purchased it in May last year .. it just seems to kick slightly to the left, towards the rotor, as if the brake pulls the wheel... may be normal as it is not by a large amount but I never noticed it before..

I suppose that as the rotor is in the centre and on the one side some movement may be possible, but I am no expert so may be wrong.. it is only a few millimetres..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Probably not that then but checking if the stem has been tightened down sufficiently.
If you can I'd suggest you return it to the dealer to check out.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have just emailed the shop to see if they can check it out.. as I say it is not much and may be normal ..

I would not know where to start really to do it correctly if that is what is needed :smile:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Out of curiosity I have just been out and looked at the bike...

Lifted the front wheel and tried to move it left to right, quite strongly, no movement can be felt at all.. plus to the eye I can see nothing, no movement at all...

I would think that if it was major it I would see or feel the movement...

I am still going to the shop next Friday or Saturday to be safe, and if I don't get out on Saturday I am off work all the following week so I can make up for it lol ... want to get out 3 or 4 time anyway :smile:

Top Bottom