Froome and Wiggins TUEs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
...whats this chimp thing.
Guess what was really in the jiffy bag...

I tend to agree with him. Haven't most people been calling marginal gains a load of cobblers lately?

I do as well to some extent - Wiggins is a bit of a milkshake himself - as are a lot of athletes who compete at the very elitist levels - marginal gains etc whilst it probably did manifest itself in some physical advantages in the end it is just a slogan - another thing to believe in - Wiggins probably subscribed to it before they even invented the phrase - I think I've heard Wiggins talk about little things he would do - eg training on Christmas day and describe his coping mechanisms which often sound like things that Peters might have come up with - if Peters had been about then - as he says different shakes for different people

I tend to agree with him. Haven't most people been calling marginal gains a load of cobblers lately?
It depends what we are talking about. If you're talking about the track then arguably he's talking bollocks as a lot of the small stuff was invented and tested by the Secret Squirrel Club, Boardman goes into this in some depth. On the road, quite possibly a lot of it didn't translate but the point is there are a lot of people working hard on the small stuff and Wiggins should have the magnanimity to acknowledge that.

Marginal Gains is bollocks. Apart from the rounder wheels...

tfc03

Veteran
I like RT and he is usually spot on. He is largely right here, but he also seems to lack a detailed knowledge specific to cycling, of how a lot of cycling teams were actually run in the 1990s and 2000s. The biographies of David Millar, Wegelius et al show how shambolic it all often was - Millar lobbied for years to actually get a TT specific bike for TTs at Cofidis; Wegelius describes finding out the stage result from the paper the next morning when on the Vuelta etc. Sure there was the odd Mapei, but mostly it seems like chaos. I suspect Sky has 'professionalized' the peleton, at least a [marginal] amount.

I like RT and he is usually spot on. He is largely right here, but he also seems to lack a detailed knowledge specific to cycling, of how a lot of cycling teams were actually run in the 1990s and 2000s. The biographies of David Millar, Wegelius et al show how shambolic it all often was - Millar lobbied for years to actually get a TT specific bike for TTs at Cofidis; Wegelius describes finding out the stage result from the paper the next morning when on the Vuelta etc. Sure there was the odd Mapei, but mostly it seems like chaos. I suspect Sky has 'professionalized' the peleton, at least a [marginal] amount.
I must admit to not liking him any more. I've read too much of his stiff which is either wrong in it's opinion or shoot stirring or a bit, look at me the clever sports scientist. I think you're right about that piece as well. I don't think his history of the sport is solid enough to back up his view, I mean we still have FDJ only just learning to do a TTT together last year, or getting Pinot to actually do TT training.

Top Bottom