Froome v Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that's the final decision made then, until Wiggins next press conference anyway....

Head scratching also with the whole thing............

I wonder if he could have been winding Froome up? He does appear to have a sense of humour that's a bit on the wicked side.
On the other hand he maybe really does believe that he has more to offer than Froome. We will find out when the roads start rising. Froome will undoubtedly try to put time onto Wiggins to prove he is better on the incline.

It's going to be interesting.

Though better not find out it's some sort of publicity stunt. That kind of crap is for Posh spice, Peter Andre and Jordan.

No chance it is a PR stunt, why unsettle people ?

From RoadCC site.... "So while Sky's backing for Froome to lead at the Tour is probably as unequivocal as it prudently can be, given the nature of professional sport it does come with a measure of qualification"

So, if Froome does pretty good at Dauphiné then he is the #1 guy for TdF. Wiggins will need to put up or shut up if that is the case. It will be quite the thing seeing Wiggins giving Froome a wheel if he needs one. Canny wait.

No chance it is a PR stunt, why unsettle people ?

From RoadCC site.... "So while Sky's backing for Froome to lead at the Tour is probably as unequivocal as it prudently can be, given the nature of professional sport it does come with a measure of qualification"

So, if Froome does pretty good at Dauphiné then he is the #1 guy for TdF. Wiggins will need to put up or shut up if that is the case. It will be quite the thing seeing Wiggins giving Froome a wheel if he needs one. Canny wait.
It will be double interesting if Wiggins holds Froomes wheel on every climb! I kind of doubt it but it would spectacular to watch.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
We'll have more idea about whether Brad can keep up with him on the climbs in the next couple of weeks..

Dave's talk to the two of them would probably be somewhat reminiscent of the Joyce Grenfell nursery monologue...
'Bradley, Bradley, don't do that. Yes, I know you can tear the ****'s legs off in a TT, but you won the Tour last year. We already decided Chris was going to have a go at winning it this year, didn't we? And Chris, you were very bad to Bradley last year, but as you've been good this year, we're going to give you another chance. No running off up the road unless I say so, OK? Unless you mess up, in which case Bradley gets to tear your legs off and we won't charge your Di2 battery. And please get Michelle to keep quiet, that whining is very tiresome'.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this is a tad more complicated (and a lot more stupid) than some people think. Wiggins is effectively saying 'If I can beat him, I will'. Now......each and every professional rider is thinking about his next contract and maybe his next team. And the Sky riders might be forgiven for wondering if Froome is really a GC winner, capable of bringing the big bucks in to the team. Or is he just another climber? And, if Froome is the undisputed number one in the Sky firmament, and he's not a GC winner, wouldn't they be better off hanging with Wiggins, who may well move at the end of the season?

Curious timing, Wiggins being three days into the Giro, to hit him with this.
Either Sky are playing some deep, opaque strategy, or it's bloody chaos. Dunno which.
Am reminded of the televised world chess championships: bunch of pundits commentating on Karpov v Kasparov, say: all credible IMs and GMs but not to the standard of K and K, obviously, or they'd be contesting the world championship rather than commentating. Games would unfold that they could not understand - assessments of who had the advantage, predictions, suggested moves all shown to be callow by the action on the board.
So either something inscrutably subtle's going on, or Sky's management are actually a bit sh1t.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I did think that Sky were throwing uncertainty around in order to blindside the other teams, but now I reckon it looks more like Sky's people skills are a not as good as they might be
http://road.cc/content/news/63022-w...ave-her-out-team-pursuit-squad-was-vindictive
and mark this. Roche won despite his team. He picked up people on the road (as Kelly did before him). If Wiggins thinks he can win, then there is nothing to stop him doing the same - if, of course, he makes the nine.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Can only agree with that. Telling Wiggins he's number two looks plain stupid to the general public, less than utterly sensible to the likes of us, and downright insulting to both of them- whatever happens one or both of them is going to have nagging doubts in their minds. Was it too much to tell them both 'Let's see how you two are before the Tour before making our minds up'? Let alone 'You're joint number one, sort it out on the road'.

U

User169

Standing on the platform at Antwerp station with my bike on saturday night and some Belgian started banging on to me about this Wiggo/Froome business!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Standing on the platform at Antwerp station with my bike on saturday night and some Belgian started banging on to me about this Wiggo/Froome business!

Did you ignore him then later check the commuting or general cycling discussions sections to see if he came on here to have a whinge about it?

Top Bottom