Froome v Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If Wiggo doesn't win this Giro, can he really say he's a better medium term bet for winning grand tours over Froome, Porte and SKY's Columbiana ?

But Wiggins has got the biggest profile with the British public and will give Sky best value for their money. Maybe not what DB would base a decision on but it's bound to be a factor.

thom

____
But Wiggins has got the biggest profile with the British public and will give Sky best value for their money.
That is a very debatable position - DB would look a right numpty if Froome left SKY and started beating Wiggins left right and centre at the races the Brad chose to target.

lukesdad

When the spanish armada attacks Wiggo's gonna be left floundering in the harbour. Brailsford saw the writing on the wall in last years vuelta. Sky have no choice really.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That is a very debatable position - DB would look a right numpty if Froome left SKY and started beating Wiggins left right and centre at the races the Brad chose to target.
Indeed. Rumours of Brad's demise as a GC contender will only be confirmed or denied in the coming weeks and months. But the changing of the Sky guard (be it Froome if he doesn't jump ship or AN Other) will be happening sooner or later.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Today's evil Giro stage may well be a good indicator of Brad's true form - if one or more of the other GC contenders decide to go on the attack... Personally, I predict that the evidence will show a rider in excellent shape. Heck, I wouldn't rule out him going on the offensive himself.

The question of who was the "true" winner of the Vuelta in 2011 is a red herring - by the same reasoning, maybe Brad should be awarded the 2009 Tour, so he's still the first British GT winner whichever way you look at it.

thom

____
Indeed. Rumours of Brad's demise as a GC contender will only be confirmed or denied in the coming weeks and months. But the changing of the Sky guard (be it Froome if he doesn't jump ship or AN Other) will be happening sooner or later.
I think we saw something happen today...

It's over for Wiggins.
2012 was epic, but it could be another hundred years before a GB rider wins another major tour.
Nonsensical hubris all round, much like the footie: England win a match or two, so are feted as dead certs to win the World Cup.
That Sky could pick which rider would win which Grand Tour this year always struck me as hubristic absurdity. Wiggo's Giro record is, to put it kindly, unspectacular, and Froome got worked over good and proper in last year's Vuelta by Contador and Rodriguez.

tigger

Über Member
It's over for Wiggins.
2012 was epic, but it could be another hundred years before a GB rider wins another major tour.
Nonsensical hubris all round, much like the footie: England win a match or two, so are feted as dead certs to win the World Cup.
That Sky could pick which rider would win which Grand Tour this year always struck me as hubristic absurdity. Wiggo's Giro record is, to put it kindly, unspectacular, and Froome got worked over good and proper in last year's Vuelta by Contador and Rodriguez.

You could well be right but I wouldn't write Froome or Wiggins off yet. Remember neither Purito nor Contador rode the TDF as Froome had last year, fatigue was always going to catch up with Froome. Froome's been caught out just once this year, on the penultimate stage of Tirreno (remind anyone of today a bit? - these super lean leggy riders don't like the cold or wet do they?). This aside, he has been the best stage racer by far this year. Unless there is inclimate weather or bad luck, Froome is on course to win the Tour at a canter in my view.

Wiggins? Oh Sir Brad. He had focus and took the lot last year, as he can when he wants to. Also Sky could control things in these races and the uncontrollables didn't seem to put up much fight. This year I think Wiggin's head has gone AWOL. It's happened before in his career after major achievements. Brailsford described him as a Tiger once, when he's hungry he comes out fighting, when he's had his fill he goes back to his den. We'll find out a bit more about his form and character in the TT tomorrow. There's only one thing dangerous enough to hurt Wiggins, and that's himself.

I'm not sure it's over for Wiggins at all, I may be wrong. I think if he's going to win the Giro he'll do it prudently and perhaps with less flare than the TDF of 12' (but that's no surprise given the absence of Froome) but I wouldn't write him off yet. Less still based, if it is, on today's stage. I understand that he (Wiggins) has been researching Miguel Indurain and prudence was the name of his game - take no risk where it isn't necessary and play to your strength. Wiggo has a good team that's for sure - Pate has been excellent all week and Henao and Uran could have taken chunks out of their team leader today, but opted to play the team spirit and good on them.

To put today in perspective how many times has a breakaway of 150km paid off in recent times? Not many times that's for sure...I watched virtually all of the last 100km and there were crashes galore - Nibali came off as did Wiggo - and whilst I wouldn't take anything away from Hansen, everybody was affected today.

Tomorrow - the weather aside - Wiggo has a chance to put the hammer down and I firmly believe he will given the distance. I think tomorrow he'll be in pink. Whether he holds onto it will depend as much on the team as it will him and his form.

As a last point, the Giro is so much more unpredictable than the tour and I reckon Wiggins knows that and despite a bad day at the office, nothing is set in stone yet. if anything I'm glad that there are others putting more work in on the front - a good omen methinks for the business end of the Giro.

But we'll see...

A crazy person would write Wiggo off at this point!!

Some might say he even rode smart post crash. He realised he could hurt himself out there today and decided to calm it down a bit, lose some time but most importantly make it to the finish 100% fit and ready to fight another day.

Wiggins could potentially put minutes in to his rivals tomorrow and he knows that. Just need it to be dry.

Slaav

Guru
A crazy person would write Wiggo off at this point!!

Some might say he even rode smart post crash. He realised he could hurt himself out there today and decided to calm it down a bit, lose some time but most importantly make it to the finish 100% fit and ready to fight another day.

Wiggins could potentially put minutes in to his rivals tomorrow and he knows that. Just need it to be dry.

I agree with you to a degree.... He definitely 'made sure' post crash but compare his approach to Nibali who simply jumped straight back on and went for it again.

Brad could have settled, jumped straight back on and then ridden slightly within his limits - not peddled as if it were a tow path! Although when safe and flat, he did give it some beans.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I won't repeat what I said in the Giro thread, but suffice to say Wiggo has left himself with an awful lot to do after yesterday. I'm not writing him off yet but I'm no longer as confident of his chances as I was.

Top Bottom