Froome v Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
Standing on the platform at Antwerp station with my bike on saturday night and some Belgian started banging on to me about this Wiggo/Froome business!
I feel your pain. So difficult to avoid this stuff, it's even penetrating into corners of European railway stations now.

Even the birds were on about it this morning. One going fr-ooome, fr-ooome and a pigeon going woo-iggins, woo-igins, woo-igins.

A real twitter feed.

Wiggins wins the Giro - He will get the go ahead for leader in the TdF, chance of the double.
Wiggins does not win the Giro - Froome is yer man, chance of double for him with the Vuelta.
Just a guess.

The Couch

Über Member
Did you ignore him then later check the commuting or general cycling discussions sections to see if he came on here to have a whinge about it?
Hey Hey...there are no whining Belgians to be found here *hum*hum* :whistle:

@ Delftse Post: At least it gives you an opportunity to talk cycling beyond this forum, right?
... And - knowing the NMBS (Belgian Railways) - at least you could use it to fill up the time waiting for the train :cheers:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Why can't they both go for it and the strongest on the day/s wins?!

Just to add that I think BW is doing a bit of a wind-up job. Fair play to him too.

SeeFarr

Id go with Froome this year for the tdf, i dont think Wiggos got it in him this year. I cant see him winning the Giro either. i dont think hes looked particularly strong at all yet.

Bigger question is who'll be the first one to leave team Sky next season? Wiggo or Froome?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why can't they both go for it and the strongest on the day/s wins?!

Just to add that I think BW is doing a bit of a wind-up job. Fair play to him too.
It's possible but fraught with danger to have two team-mates going for the top spot. Do they race against each other in a head to head? If one is in yellow, does the other gift him the stage?
The team leader also expects his main wingman to be the last on the road helping his cause to his own detriment by burning himself out on the climb or covering attacks. I can't see Brad doing that for Froome either.

thom

____
Id go with Froome this year for the tdf, i dont think Wiggos got it in him this year. I cant see him winning the Giro either. i dont think hes looked particularly strong at all yet.

Bigger question is who'll be the first one to leave team Sky next season? Wiggo or Froome?
Well Richie Porte has just resigned with SKY. So there you go.

VamP

Banned
Re-signed
Resigned
I wonder which?

Uran.

Curious timing, Wiggins being three days into the Giro, to hit him with this.
Either Sky are playing some deep, opaque strategy, or it's bloody chaos. Dunno which.
Am reminded of the televised world chess championships: bunch of pundits commentating on Karpov v Kasparov, say: all credible IMs and GMs but not to the standard of K and K, obviously, or they'd be contesting the world championship rather than commentating. Games would unfold that they could not understand - assessments of who had the advantage, predictions, suggested moves all shown to be callow by the action on the board.
So either something inscrutably subtle's going on, or Sky's management are actually a bit sh1t.
Interesting.

You watch televised chess?? ;)

It's possible but fraught with danger to have two team-mates going for the top spot. Do they race against each other in a head to head? If one is in yellow, does the other gift him the stage?
The team leader also expects his main wingman to be the last on the road helping his cause to his own detriment by burning himself out on the climb or covering attacks. I can't see Brad doing that for Froome either.
Exactly and also worth mentioning that Froome would be stronger with Wiggins as a super domestique - just as Wiggins was with Froome @2012 TDF.
If they both have their own interests then there would be mayhem. Who would the team work for?

The only way Wiggins will get a shot at it will be if Froome finds himself out of reach and Wiggins is closer to the GC. If Froome is 1st and Wiggins 2nd, a few weeks in, then Wiggins will be a foot soldier and no more than back up should Froome put a foot wrong or crash out etc. Sky are stacking the deck but they are dealing with egos and not just cards.

thom

____
Yeah I heard Uran was leaving. Any idea where he's going?
OPQS are sending out feelers apparently.
I think BMC are interested in Froome according to Gazetta today, as well as Sagan.
For SKY, if you had to hold on to one of Wiggins or Froome, I think its a no brainer you hold on to Froome, based upon his age and all round balance as a GC talent. Porte just re-signed with SKY.
If Wiggo doesn't win this Giro, can he really say he's a better medium term bet for winning grand tours over Froome, Porte and SKY's Columbiana ?

Top Bottom