Frustration with my boss over bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Thanks, everyone! I had cycled to work Tuesday (been off for a medical procedure since then so if feeling up to it will cycle in again tomorrow) and it was fabulous, I was early and felt more productive. For the parking situation I made the best of it. My U-lock is an OnGuard that is big, but apparently not big enough to go around the guardrail support and the bike, so I had to make do. I locked the wheel to the frame with it and then ran cable lock around the post at the corner of the fence, I backed it in snug so that to even get to the locks would be awkward and noticeable. I may get a big motorcycle lock to use and leave there.

No one bothered her and a couple of coworkers even went to check her out on their way in throughout the day. I can see the spot I picked from our front window so if I am in that part of the building I can keep an eye on her, and smokers go out there frequently so I suppose that is something.

After being surprised that I actually did ride in (when he was teasing me about it the day before) and a bit of good-natured banter Tuesday evening my boss did say that he wished he had my determination, and he made sure I was ok going home at night before he set off (because everyone there thought it was insane to ride at night, one coworker even insisted that I would be scared and needed to put my bike in the back of her Jeep so she could take me home! I tried to tell them that after dark is when I do almost all of my riding ^_^) Maybe once it is normalized to him he will let me find a good place for her!
Good luck with that, it sounds like you are starting from a fairly low base.

U

User33236

I started a new job last July and cycle to work, keeping my bike in my office.

The first day I did so one of my staff told me I wasn’t allowed and two of his colleagues had already been refused permission to bring their bikes inside,

When I asked who had told them that I was informed my predecessor had. I politely informed the staff member that I was the boss now and would happily discuss with any staff member accommodating cycles inside.

My own boss has also followed by lead and now keeps a bike in his office.

I despair when I hear of situations that the OP and others encounter.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's funny how anti-cycling some places are. We have several different cycle storage areas on campus, most of them covered. I tend to store my bike in the workshop of my building as I can't be asked to carry a lock to work.
My employer tries to encourage cycling to work over driving as we have limited parking available, and are in the middle of nowhere between Bath and Bristol, so limited bus service to campus as well as the smaller towns/villages. Hell, I live in Bristol, and for me to get to work it's either 3 buses, or a 40 minute walk on one end to Temple Meads and 20 minute walk on the other to get to campus. I might as well cycle as it's quicker (which I do). They trialled an electric bike loan scheme this year and are switching cycle to work providers to enable employees to get an electric bike as there is what non-cyclists/new cyclists would consider to be a large hill to get to campus. The electric bikes are now available for employees to use for inter-site travel and business meetings in town.
I worked out assuming i used a bus to get to work i would need to walk a mile to the bus stop, catch a bus to town, then get the bus home.Minimum of 2 hours.Car takes 20 mins and bike about 35 mins.

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I have been locking up out along the fence wedged behind the guardrail and so far nothing has been messed with. (Fingers crossed that it stays that way!) Although not budging on parking he has always waited and made sure I am safe on my way before he drives off, so that's nice (I always work the closing shift and get off at 9pm.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom