Frustration with my boss over bike...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ADarkDraconis, 13 Feb 2018.

1. The Crofted Crest

The Crofted Crest Well-Known Member

Well that's your choice of course. It's a question of priorities. But if you value your children and Gramps more than your bicycle, so be it. Who am I to criticize?

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  2. byegad

byegad Guru

I suggest you buy a very heavy bike lock, the bigger the better, then clobber your boss with it. It'll mean getting a new job when you get out of gaol, but well worth it!

BrumJim, raleighnut and ADarkDraconis like this.
  3. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Amazing how different people react to cycling isnt it . I mentioned to one of my customers that i intended to drop off the windows ive made for his house and then cycle over to him every day to fit them . He said feel free to throw yourself in the swimming pool when you get here or i was welcome to use the shower :becool:

4. A couple of snaps of our works bike shed.

Attached Files:

5. johnnyb47

johnnyb47 Über Member

It's a shame to read that your boss is so narrow minded. I could understand him not wanting you bringing your bike into a office dripping wet ,if the the office was a show piece where client's often visited , but from what I've read this is not the case. We have well 300 people who work at our place and only a handful of them cycle to work. The company provides a bike rack but as there's so few that cycle in to work the company turns a blind eye to where there kept. Most of the employees keep them tucked away somewhere in the warehouse out of sight. Is there anywhere else nearby you could leave your bike such as another business next door to you..If you're boss sees that a neighbouring business is more proactive in helping cyclists it may shame him into being a little more flexible in helping his own staff out.

6. rivers

rivers Senior Member

It's funny how anti-cycling some places are. We have several different cycle storage areas on campus, most of them covered. I tend to store my bike in the workshop of my building as I can't be asked to carry a lock to work.
    My employer tries to encourage cycling to work over driving as we have limited parking available, and are in the middle of nowhere between Bath and Bristol, so limited bus service to campus as well as the smaller towns/villages. Hell, I live in Bristol, and for me to get to work it's either 3 buses, or a 40 minute walk on one end to Temple Meads and 20 minute walk on the other to get to campus. I might as well cycle as it's quicker (which I do). They trialled an electric bike loan scheme this year and are switching cycle to work providers to enable employees to get an electric bike as there is what non-cyclists/new cyclists would consider to be a large hill to get to campus. The electric bikes are now available for employees to use for inter-site travel and business meetings in town.

7. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

Impressive space, but those wheel benders... yuk!

mjr likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

Wow, SteveInDenmark, that's pretty awesome! I won't hold my breath for a shed, this boss is the type that takes over a year to fix the broken faucet in the ladies' restrooms, but maybe his boss will be a bit more welcoming to the idea. I was just surprised as he and I normally get on very well and on days when he's not in a mood we joke around and have a decent relationship, and he is competent at his job, but on this he was just like No!

9. OP
    OP
    ADarkDraconis

That's what I had figured, it's one little bike, not like a fleet of 30! Unfortunately the establishment next to us is a wing restaurant/bar frequented by college kids and bikers of the Harley variety. On the other side is a cell phone tower and a gun store :dry:

johnnyb47 likes this.
  10. Leaway2

Leaway2 Veteran

Yes, and just leave it permanently in a parking space, and bung the bike in the back every day when you get to work.

Edit: Damn @wonderloaf beat me to it.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2018
  11. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

I am absolutely behind the idea of buying a (fully legal) van and parking it on site as suggested.

Great idea!

12. johnnyb47

johnnyb47 Über Member

That's sounds a bit awkward then to keep your bike next door. I think the next best thing I would suggest would be to buy a decent lock and cover and keep them at work so you don't have to carry them on your commute. When the locks not in use ,keep it locked to where your bike will usually get kept and keep the cover in your locker until needed. Hopefully over time your miserable old boss see that your keen and serious on wanting to cycle to work and will be a little more helpful towards you.
    I hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction buddy and of course Happy Cycling to you :-)

13. OP
    OP
    ADarkDraconis

This sounds great, thanks! This may sound silly but as I had always haf a place to park inside I never had to regularly lock up and so hadn't thought of leaving it and the cover at work! I'd probably want to get a small spare then for the grocery store, etc. But better than lugging that monstrous OnGuard with me every day!

Edit: don't know why it quoted twice, it kept saying there was no post so I did it again- my phone is odd. Apologies! :smile:

Last edited: 14 Feb 2018
    johnnyb47 likes this.
  14. johnnyb47

johnnyb47 Über Member

That's good to hear buddy. Given a few weeks and hopefully"old miseryguts boss man" will come round to being a little more flexible :-) :-)

mjr likes this.
  15. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Member

Why don’t you post his email address here so we can all email him and let him know what kind of person he is.
    MOD NOTE: please do NOT use CycleChat to do this!

Genuniely. I’ll do it. Shan’t mention you at all.

Some people need to know what they are.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Feb 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice