Frustration with my boss over bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Park your car permanently on the lot at work, then cycle in every day and leave your bike in the car.

I have several relatives who live and work in the States and oh so very sadly and quite amazingly, most people from Europe wouldn't even begin to understand what employers (and bosses) can get away with over there, so I am afraid to say @ADarkDraconis, I can fully understand what you are trying to cope with!

No doubt your boss exists on an exceptionally unhealthy diet and can't even begin to understand how anyone can possibly want to look after their body?

Have you thought about changing your job?

Good luck

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Park your car permanently on the lot at work, then cycle in every day and leave your bike in the car.
I would if I didn't need it for driving around my toddler and 91 year old grandfather. That would be fabulous!

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Not exactly a solution, but, given the unpleasant boss and co-workers, look for another job perhaps?

I love my job and the pay is fair, and he's not normally unpleasant during usual business stuff. He just sees anything different as not worth his bothering.

I have several relatives who live and work in the States and oh so very sadly and quite amazingly, most people from Europe wouldn't even begin to understand what employers (and bosses) can get away with over there, so I am afraid to say @ADarkDraconis, I can fully understand what you are trying to cope with!

No doubt your boss exists on an exceptionally unhealthy diet and can't even begin to understand how anyone can possibly want to look after their body?

Have you thought about changing your job?

Good luck

He really does eat like crap! More power to him, you eat what you want, but he does poke fun at my healthy lunches and the other vegan's gross looking smoothies. Exercise goes against his nature, he always thought I was crazy for going to the gym after work. I do love what I do, though, and recently got a new title so I am somewhat recognized for all the crap that I do now, lol. I plan on staying, and in the process making him see how easy it is to be a little more conscientious.

Last edited:

Debade

Über Member
You need to inform your boss on the things he'll get for free if you start cycling to work. Bosses love free stuff like reduced costs and increased productivity.

• Exercising before work raises an employee’s productivity by an average of 15 percent.
  • Cycling will reduce health care costs: Cyclists, on average, live two years longer than non-cyclists and take 15 percent fewer days offwork due to illness.
  • In England, Sustrans claims more facilities making it convenient for people to ride to work would save UK businesses £13bn through reduced sick days and boosted productivity.
  • Statistics show that non-cyclists take two more sick days per year.
  • Studies show a 4-15 percent increase in productivity, and 27 percent fewer task errors for physically fit employees.
  • Staff members who cycle are more punctual. Absenteeism can be reduced by up to 80 percent by encouraging cycling to work.

This was going to be my reply. If you have the desire, I would talk to HR about the benefits of bicycling and Bicycle Friendly Business from the League of American Bicyclists. I would inform them that 18 of the 20 top city finalists for Amazon Corporate Headquarters were Bicycle Friendly Communities. I have seen Googles set up and their great support for biking. Their investment is not an accident. Last I heard, Google is the most preferred employer in the USA.

Anyway, lots of evidence that biking is a great idea and a benefit to the company.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I had a boss like that once. He never changed his mind about cycling. Just had to wait for him to retire (he opted for early retirement after finding himself at odds with the new structure when we got bought by a huge company)

Once the firm got some crappy award made out of glass on a little wooden plinth, part of this involved a visit by some minor royal carrying a sword. Boss insisted my bike was hidden in the garage where the pool cars were kept, had to hunt him down at the end of the day to get the key.

Most of the time I parked my bike wherever it would be mostly out of his sight without being inconvenient for me, thankfully there were a few options.

We now have purpose-built bike storage but since it's right on the other side of the site from me I hide my bike in the warehouse.

vickster

Legendary Member
Resign your job and find one that is commutable and where you can keep your bike.
If you’re a valued employee, the boss might relent ;)

Top Bottom