Frustration with my boss over bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Thanks for the support, everyone! I am going to ask the district casually if they have any policy regarding where I should park. If they also decide that I need to park on the fence I will figure out a way to make sure she's secure and that there are cameras back there, and maybe just get a waterproof covering to toss over the seat. We have enough smokers here that they go in and out the back enough to maybe keep suspicious folks aware. I will then continue to bike to work in spite of his ridiculous feeling that it is not something that should be done. Perhaps then he will see my seriousness and give Sylvia a little space of her own to be locked up safe, and encourage others to get healthier and start biking!

Took a look today and I don't think she'll fit between the guardrail and the fence, so she is either going to have to be locked to the guardrail (and hopefully not hit by our delivery trucks!) or on the corner where she would be more in the busier part of the road/parking. I will figure something out if they are fussy!

Maybe I should suggest locking up in our car parking lot right in front of his car so I know she's safe... ^_^ it'll give him a little daily reminder!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I would if I didn't need it for driving around my toddler and 91 year old grandfather. That would be fabulous!
In that case could you find a cheap scrapper of a panel van and leave that in the car park permanently? Secure, covered bike parking with a bit of space to spare that you could rent out to any of your co-workers should they want to try cycle commuting.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks for the support, everyone! I am going to ask the district casually if they have any policy regarding where I should park. If they also decide that I need to park on the fence I will figure out a way to make sure she's secure and that there are cameras back there, and maybe just get a waterproof covering to toss over the seat.
You could get something like a bikeparka. It's waterproof, covers the whole bike, and packs down into a bag small enough to fit in a pannier. The 'urban' version has velcro flaps so you can put a lock through it.

https://bikeparka.com

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks, that looks brilliant! I just sent them a message asking if they can ship to the US, just in case I need it!
I noticed they give prices in dollars so you might be in luck. Still, you might be able to find something similar in the States if they can't ship it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He really does eat like crap! More power to him, you eat what you want, but he does poke fun at my healthy lunches and the other vegan's gross looking smoothies. Exercise goes against his nature, he always thought I was crazy for going to the gym after work. I do love what I do, though, and recently got a new title so I am somewhat recognized for all the crap that I do now, lol. I plan on staying, and in the process making him see how easy it is to be a little more conscientious.
Yes, stay, position yourself as the heir apparent, keep cycling, storing the bike in an old van in the parking lot, stress him out trying to figure out how to prevent you and it probably won't be long before he carks it. :evil:

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Yes, stay, position yourself as the heir apparent, keep cycling, storing the bike in an old van in the parking lot, stress him out trying to figure out how to prevent you and it probably won't be long before he carks it. :evil:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: this actually made me laugh so hard!!! Ok, so no old van and he would most likely retire before carking it (which I assume means kicking the bucket, lol) but other than that... exactly! ^_^

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I noticed they give prices in dollars so you might be in luck. Still, you might be able to find something similar in the States if they can't ship it.
I thought so, but on their site it says they ship within the UK and to most of Europe. My country wasn't in the dropdown :sad: we get nothing nice here.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
WOW what a difference in bosses.

A few years ago I raised the point of a bike shed at our works monthly meeting. At that time I was the only person riding to work. The boss said he would look into it, and I left it at that.

A couple of weeks later I turned up to work and nearly fell off my bike. A bike shed had been built right outside the entrance to my work. I dont even get wet when I go into the building. But its not just a 6 foot by 6 foot shed. Its big, really big, for a bike shed. Especially when you think I was the only person using it. They even fitted racks. A whole row of racks. Which I dont use and didnt need. We have used it for BBQs and 20 of us had a sit down buffet, complete with trestle tables and chairs. Now in the summer we usually have about a dozen empoyees riding to work and using the bike shed.

The bike shed was so big that I suggested seperating part of it and using it for the smokers. We made a curtain out of sail cloth and put a couple of tables and benches in and the smokers have their lunch out there. There is still lots of room for bikes.

If I were the OP I would have no problem going over the bosses head and would let him know before I did it. We have a right to stay fit and healthy and cycling is a great way to help with strass and anxiety. It sounds like the OP may need this with the boss he has.

Slick

Guru
WOW what a difference in bosses.

A few years ago I raised the point of a bike shed at our works monthly meeting. At that time I was the only person riding to work. The boss said he would look into it, and I left it at that.

A couple of weeks later I turned up to work and nearly fell off my bike. A bike shed had been built right outside the entrance to my work. I dont even get wet when I go into the building. But its not just a 6 foot by 6 foot shed. Its big, really big, for a bike shed. Especially when you think I was the only person using it. They even fitted racks. A whole row of racks. Which I dont use and didnt need. We have used it for BBQs and 20 of us had a sit down buffet, complete with trestle tables and chairs. Now in the summer we usually have about a dozen empoyees riding to work and using the bike shed.

The bike shed was so big that I suggested seperating part of it and using it for the smokers. We made a curtain out of sail cloth and put a couple of tables and benches in and the smokers have their lunch out there. There is still lots of room for bikes.

If I were the OP I would have no problem going over the bosses head and would let him know before I did it. We have a right to stay fit and healthy and cycling is a great way to help with strass and anxiety. It sounds like the OP may need this with the boss he has.
I was enjoying your story all the while thinking, if that was here the smokers would claim it and it would reek. xx(

Top Bottom