Fugly cycling trends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
any word in French about anything cycling used by a Brit.
I admire those professionals who ride in a platoon, some of them taking the role of house-servant, the sun glinting from their de-railers, and their brakes which are so much more advanced than the Winner-999s that I used to use.

Actually derailleurs themselves are a foreign import and we Brits should all be sticking to good old planetary hub gears.

Edit: Come to think of it, given that the Normans infused English with so much French you'd probably have difficulty talking about anything using purely Anglo Saxon words. I think there are people who do advocate this ...

Last edited:
At the risk of, er, derailing, this thread - a reply

"derailleur" is fine as it says what it is. It's the "bidon" thing and similar that's poncey.

Tim Hall

At the risk of, er, derailing, this thread - a reply

"derailleur" is fine as it says what it is. It's the "bidon" thing and similar that's poncey.
What about pannier?

(On a side note, I have a friend who pronounces those methylated spirit camping stoves of Swedish origin inna French stylee "Tron jee ay" )

Hideously finished carbon frames with the weave showing (is that deliberate)

The worst thing....... The weave is only laid down for show. Structural carbon fibre isn't woven.

froze

Über Member
I agree with all of your examples! I would also throw in those billboard jerseys!

Your bikes and wheels with HUGE brand/model names taking up the entire bike or wheel, just ruins the look of the bike or wheel (or wheels with huge lettering on a bike that doesn't have huge lettering) for me too, I find that very hideous looking. I couldn't imagine driving a car with the brand of the car in huge letters across the whole side of a car on each side, and on the trunk and hood, I would never buy a car again if they went that route!

So we all have to call it the "Tour of France"?
No, as that's the name of a particular event - it's specific.

Similarly, "giro" - if you translated that literally to "tour" you would be saying less.

Sorry, i'd no more refer to bidon on a ride than comment that my arse was hurting and try to translate arse into French.

No, as that's the name of a particular event - it's specific.

Similarly, "giro" - if you translated that literally to "tour" you would be saying less.

Sorry, i'd no more refer to bidon on a ride than comment that my arse was hurting and try to translate arse into French.
Do you allow yourself to say commissaire ? or prime ? or muesette ? or pave ? or gilet ? Or (moving to wine) terroir ?

Top Bottom