Fulcrum/campag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not looking for advice here: just a rant. ;)
Just had (another) freehub failure: the third in the past year. In each case it's the ratchet graunching and then spinning forwards uselessly. I'm pretty certain I know what the problem is: broken or displaced pawl springs. Each time it was a 9-speed Campag-compatible hub on Fulcrum wheel - F5 or F7.

The other two were almost new wheels and I got them fixed under warranty. This latest has at least seen a good few miles (about 10,000) and I shall be scrapping it now, replacing with one of the previously-fixed ones which I have as a spare. So at least I can get back on the road.

Don't get me wrong here: I think the build quality of the F5/F7 wheels themselves is excellent, for the price: there is very little rim wear and the wheel, despite never having been re-trued, still runs almost as true as new. All the spokes are still perfectly tight. No, it's just the hubs that have let me down: but really I can't have a hub suddenly giving out on me as I'm negotiating a roundabout...:tongue:

I think, after the present (almost new) cassette wears down, I shall switch brands: get a new wheel of a different make and go for non-campag this time. I've been loyal to Campag for years but Shimano beckons!

Why don't you have a go at replacing the pawl springs yourself rather than scrapping a perfectly good wheel? I know that pawls/springs are usually the work of the devil when it comes to DIY but you might as well give it a go.

Cranks

'9-speed Campag-compatible hub on Fulcrum wheel - F5 or F7.'

Can you not get it built onto a real Campag hub? Never had a rpoblem with the real thing.

OP
OP

661-Pete

accountantpete said:
Why don't you have a go at replacing the pawl springs yourself rather than scrapping a perfectly good wheel? I know that pawls/springs are usually the work of the devil when it comes to DIY but you might as well give it a go.
I may try, once I've got the cassette off and can have a proper look. But I don't have much expectations: not something I'm good at...

Cranks said:
Can you not get it built onto a real Campag hub? Never had a rpoblem with the real thing.
I doubt if that would be cost effective, at least not with the existing rim: as I said it's done 10,000 and obviously shows some wear. Bear in mind these are fairly budget-cost wheels. Anyway I thought Fulcrum were a part of Campag. What's the relationship between them?

jpembroke

Dead easy to sort out. In fact fixed a mate's F7 freehub this week. Of course, it'd be nice if this problem didn't happen in the first place.

mr-marty-martin

send me the wheel if you scrapping it ;)

Top Bottom