Full Mudguards - looking for recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Somehow yesterday I managed to break a mudguard!

The rear one snapped just where it goes through the bracket under the seat stay.
So I’m looking for recommendations for a replacement.

The ones on it appear to be SKS Trekking Reflectives http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...-trekking-reflective-mudguard-set-700c-x-45mm - which work OK for me. They are Bluemel-style fitting, with a white reflective stripe and a rear reflector.But since I’ve got to replace them, I should look at all the options.

The bike is a GT Grade, with 700x28 tyres, and has all the mounting points.

Any thoughts on which ones I should look at, or avoid?

G3CWI

Veteran
SKS chromoplastics work for me.

I've think you've hit on the optimum from the reviews I've read. I did find the narrower Blumels a bit fragile on a road bike but probably because I left them on too long and the Scottish roads are sh1te but I never had a problem with the P45's that were left on the commuter permanently. Interestingly my last set of narrower SKS guards have a redesigned hanger and came through winter just fine but that was down here when they weren't on the bike as long.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Thanks for all the comments - decided just to go for the same SKS ones as I was already using. Had a search around to find the best online price, and found a set on eBay - customer returns, as new, bolts missing - for 12 quid, or best offer, free delivery. And of course I’ve got all the bolts and fittings - just as well I didn’t chuck the thing away when it broke half way through the ride... Made an offer, got them for a bit less.

dim

velo orange full stainless steel ... thats what I use on my Surly LHT ... quality and built to last:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-45mm-stainless-fenders-700c.html

not much more expensive that tatty flimsy plastic ones ...

img_6940.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
not much more expensive
????????????

+1 for SKS - bendy/flexible can be good. They last ages. And even after a bit of damage can often be repaired with duct tape - not an issue on a tourer or round town bike. Don't know those velo guards but I well remember being on a ride with someone who had some very nice metal guards kinda retro looking. But closer examination showed that they had no quick release on the front. Could be very dangerous/even fatal in the wrong circumstances.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I paid £70 for my velo orange mudguards and that included the cost of fitting

£30 for plastic (unfitted) vs £70 for stainless steel (fitted) .... to me, £40 is not a lot of money for quality that will last ....

The SKS guards are not totally plastic, they have an aluminium core.

Top Bottom