Full Mudguards - looking for recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
SKS Bluemels Road Bike 42mm Mudguard Set £12.99 Decathlon
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bluemels-road-bike-mudguard-set-42mm-id_8356334.html

big_00f3102005ad4cc38c0cd261898de89b.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
Many many thanks for that really timely post guy - was looking for some guards for a new build and just puzzling over the difference between straight SKS chromoplastics and bluemels. These look ideal - ordered and ready for pick-up.

I cut each stay to the correct length with bolt cutters (careful measurements). I also, added an extra washer to each connection between the stay and the mudguard. They seem a good buy, once fitted, they're solid, with no rattles.

Anyone bought these from Decathlon?

I reserved a set online, went to pick them up, but there were no fittings.

I assume that the fittings are normally supplied?

Oddball barmy economics aside - I picked up the guards, very nice they looked too. Then noticed that there were no fittings supplied. Decathlon took them back to issue a refund and then by the by (I didn't ask - I assumed they would be returned to the supplier) told me that they would be scrapped.

Since this seemed like a terrible waste I said I'd give them a fiver for them if they were going to scrap.

They went away to check with a manager and came back to tell me that they couldn't let me have them for £5 as the margin on them was too low!

So rather than get £5 they were going to get zero!

Is this what we have come to oh mad mad capitalism?

Anyway, have ordered another set from another branch and hoping that they have fittings so that I don't again have to enter the accountancy dark zone.

Attachments

• big_00f3102005ad4cc38c0cd261898de89b.jpg
    big_00f3102005ad4cc38c0cd261898de89b.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 46

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
SKS Chromos' on my 2011 GT Grade fitted at the end of 2011 or very early 2012 so are coming up to 5yrs old now and showing no signs of impending failure.

sks chromos
they always snap under the brake bridge eventually though - usually about every 3-4 years

Don't quite understand how this can be the case unless they are being fitted badly in the first place? Mine have done 5yrs/15,000 miles including some silly riding down stairs and a couple of offs but still going strong and rattle/rub free. However, I did fit them myself which may explain a bit.... :thanks:

GuyBoden

Guru
Anyone bought these from Decathlon?

I reserved a set online, went to pick them up, but there were no fittings.

I assume that the fittings are normally supplied?

Yes, I got fittings with the pair I bought, picked them up from their Warrington branch. Easy to fit, but measure each stay length accurately before cutting.

Thanks for the reply.

Picked my second set up yesterday from a different shop (was concerned a reorder on same shop might just bring me the same pair) and they did indeed have the fittings.

SKS do make great mudguards but I do know that initial set up cam be a fiddle.

Can I ask what you used to cut the stays?

GuyBoden

Guru
Thanks for the reply.

Picked my second set up yesterday from a different shop (was concerned a reorder on same shop might just bring me the same pair) and they did indeed have the fittings.

SKS do make great mudguards but I do know that initial set up cam be a fiddle.

Can I ask what you used to cut the stays?

I have a pair of Bolt Cutters, but a good hack saw would do it. I setup the mudguards on the bike first with the stays in place (without the top plastic stay ends), then carefully mark the stays where you are going to cut. Take the stays off, cut them and then put the stays back on. I think this is easier than trying to cut the stays on the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom