Full size Ortlieb Roller Plus on front pannier racks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
If you're rack is big enuff to hold them I don't see why not. Some low-rider racks might put them a bit close to the ground is the only reason I can think. I've had 70l Backroller Pros on a front rack without problem (although the steering is interesting on slow climbs).

Bodhbh

Guru
Here's a couple of articles, both on the effect on speed and handling. Now I remember I did commute for a couple of weeks with front panniers only, while I was swapping bits around between bikes. It was fine. The main negative thing about it was that the bike wouldn't lean properly against a wall as the front wheel would flop to one side.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@hoopdriver

because I really like the look of this setup:

IMG_6506.jpg

Bodhbh

Guru
@Bodhbh , did you use single or double panniers? Makes sense though. Pretty sure I couldn't live with that long term.

Always double. Purely by looking at it, I wouldn't choose that setup, but it depends how much luggage your carrying. The panniers will sit right up the top and forward of the forks - you want the weight as close to the turning axis as possible. Usual disclaimer - it will work if that's your only choice and it won't kill you, but I wouldn't build up a tourer like that.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Quite a few continental riders use full sized panniers up front ONLY. It works and is surprisingly stable. Brits on the back. Fashion innit? At touring speeds I don’t think aero comes into it.

I’ve got a Surly Nice rack up front on my Big Dummy. It’s a heavy rack, but super useful. Fits full sized panniers. On my DT (with 26” wheels) they fit my Tubus Tara, but ‘look’ too low for my fragile constitution.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Daft idea IMHO. Front weight travels best as low as you can go. It’s obviously going to affect your centre of gravity being that high, and possibly force you into an oversteer. Why do something because it looks good? Don’t get it. Run big bags on a rear rack and get 25 litre bags for front on low riders. Surly (I’ve a pacer set up as a winter light tourer) focus in part on porteur type set ups, which are ok cruising round urban US, but not so good on the B2247 when you have to share it with Enid coming at you alongside in her old Fiesta...

Top Bottom