Funerals (yours)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suppose, if it's mine, I have to go. Beyond compulsory attendance I have very little interest in the details. Trebuchet maybe?

Slick

Guru
I attended a funeral last week, of the mum to a terrific family I've known for years. It was a lovely service by a humanist, and I know she would have loved it as her family done her proud. I'm not sure the term is correct, but the best funeral I've been to was for my Uncle who was an Argyll and Sutherand Highlander. His captain spoke really well about his time in a number of conflicts and then as they loaded his coffin into the herse, the old boys rounded the rear of the car in close formation and belted out the craziest but cracking song I've ever heard at a funeral.

It obviously meant a great deal to them, and it was great to watch.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I quite like the idea of a woodland burial. Haven’t really looked into it. Best make sure I die when the bluebells are out and the birds singing away.

There's a couple of woodland burial sites close by. A friend buried her mother at one last year. The ground was reportedly quite bumpy because to get the 'the' burial site, everyone has to walk over the previous burial sites, so one cannot be precious about walking on ones' grave.

Personally though, i feel cemetery burials are a waste of space. I want to be cremated and my ashes poured into the Lune up nears its source so they can wash down the valley towards Lancaster and eventually Morecambe Bay

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Perhaps Willie Nelson has the right idea

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When my wife died we had the full works with a church ceremony done very well by the minister at that time and anything less would have been seen as an affront by many in the local community who turned up in surprising numbers.
I have a double lair already bought and do not expect anything more than a short graveside ceremony and certainly not a church service. There is a new minister who is pretty useless at these things anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
The nation will grind to a halt, what with the hordes of screaming and waiking chick's clogging up the motorways in their desperation to get to my funeral, strip naked and throw their underwear at my coffin.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I would prefer, no fuss, no religion, no ceremony. Cremation, then, not concerned about the ashes.

But, on the basis that funerals are for those left behind, rather than the deceased, I accept that whoever survives me may have different idea. Ultimately, if I am dead, what difference does it make to me?

Top Bottom