Funerals (yours)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought a nearly 900 quid brown tweed suit the other day for the sale price of £535. When mentioning the cost to a friend she said "Well, why not! You can't take it with you. There aren't any pockets in shrouds". The way I see it is that it's an actual saving as on the topic of shrouds, I could ask to be buried in the brown suit, saving on the cost of a shroud. Years ago, it was quite common for men to be buried in brown suits, so there we are. It wasn't an extravagance buying the suit, more of a slight saving I'd say. 🤔

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
A good friend of mine passed away about a year ago. He had no local family. He had two passions in life - real ale and trad/americana music.

Friends were asking about the funeral, and then a message was circulated. "Bill is being cremated in private. His funeral fund is behind the bar in his local. Please come along at 2pm on Saturday. Bring instruments if you want"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Direct cremation for me, I will organize and pay for this within this year.
Dunno what they are gonna do with the ashes, I don't know of anyone who would care to have them :laugh:
@Slick who was the humanist celebrant?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Given my Mum's funeral was last week - and she had a Catholic church service but no mass - it's got me thinking. They have a burial plot, so my Dad's is sorted as well, but we'll deal with the argument that a non-Catholic can't be buried in a Catholic plot if it comes up.

Me? Not sure. But I'd like something that embodies this:

I didn't even begin to suggest we'd have this played at my Mum's ...

There's a couple of woodland burial sites close by. A friend buried her mother at one last year. The ground was reportedly quite bumpy because to get the 'the' burial site, everyone has to walk over the previous burial sites, so one cannot be precious about walking on ones' grave.

Personally though, i feel cemetery burials are a waste of space. I want to be cremated and my ashes poured into the Lune up nears its source so they can wash down the valley towards Lancaster and eventually Morecambe Bay

Oh great! So pick the wrong day a paddler on the upper Lune might get grit between the teeth on a play wave and that might be you! :laugh:

I've walked up around innominate tarn before now and wind somehow blew a bit of grit between my teeth. I always wonder if that could be Wainwright?

I bought a nearly 900 quid brown tweed suit the other day for the sale price of £535. When mentioning the cost to a friend she said "Well, why not! You can't take it with you. There aren't any pockets in shrouds". The way I see it is that it's an actual saving as on the topic of shrouds, I could ask to be buried in the brown suit, saving on the cost of a shroud. Years ago, it was quite common for men to be buried in brown suits, so there we are. It wasn't an extravagance buying the suit, more of a slight saving I'd say. 🤔

There was a trade in rental suits for the deceased to be put in for the funeral then behind the scenes they take it off for the next guy that size. Very practical if undignified!

Actually can't you get prosecuted for scattering ashes in the wrong place?

An old mate, who I've lost contact with, once took us to a church graveyard on a walk we were doing near his family farm. He showed us a bare patch of grass not far from the entrance in prime position. He told us that's his plot, he was 27 at the time and it was bought generations ago for his family. Every time a new family member arrives they get allocated a plot. Apparently a whole corner and one side is full of his family going back over a century!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Over five years after her death, I still have my mum's ashes in the boot of my car. Well, a quarter of them, as most were scattered on my dad's grave, her parent's grave and the garden of the house she lived in for 51 years, prior to ending up in an old folks home. I keep thinking I'll scatter the rest somewhere, but they aren't doing any harm and it gives a slight feel of she's still with me. Sadly the cardboard box the plastic urn came in got wet when a water bottle leaked onto it, so I had to bin it, as well as the cremation certificate, but that couple of handfuls of ashes are safe in that plastic urn in my car's boot!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Actually can't you get prosecuted for scattering ashes in the wrong place?
I scattered some of my mum's ashes in the front garden of her (and dad's) home of 51 years without the now owner's consent. When I say owners they are tenants and scruffy git ones at that! They've turned our former home into a typical DSS dosser house. Mattresses in the backyard, overflowing bin bags in the garden, a rotting back gate, made by my dad and out in the back street they had a settee out so long it started to go moldy green before the council finally took it away. If I'd have asked them they might've said 'yeah, do whatever you want', or they might've told me to f..k off! I didn't take that chance, so I had a quick look round to make sure the coast was clear then reaching over the privet I shook the urn over the soil in her former garden. :secret:

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
There was a somewhat eccentric man near to where I grew up who bought a coffin years before he died and put shelves in it and used it as a cupboard with the intention the shelves could be removed when he died and he would then be buried in it.

Top Bottom